Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

DO NOT Give Out Exclusive Items in a Release!

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by VZ_, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Good evening fellow adventurers!

I have been away from the forums and alphas for a while, in part it is due to other things on my plate but mostly it was because I was trying to come into the game fresh when it was finally completed. There are many passionate and dedicated players on the forums who have a great grasp on how the game is progressing, from every side of every argument (btw, *awesome* job on getting us multiple characters per account!).

Which brings me to why I'm here posting this: I'm quite upset at the new 'Explorer's Guild Quests'. Some will say, "but Vlad, why do you hate something so awesome" and I sympathize, but here it is: it forces me to play an unfinished game. "But Vlad, it is completely optional, no one said you have to play and do the quest!" correct, but dangling that awesome pimp hat in front of me like a carrot certainly makes me feel very *... either I play and spoil the thrill of exploring the world of the final product, or I miss out on an awesome piece of gear.

I am just here saying my thoughts. I neither have the time nor the will [to spoil my future experience] and play ever single release (even though I was very active in the early stages of testing and design). It is sad, to me, that I am in a way being punished for not having the opportunity to play every new alpha release. Further I feel like it is spoiling me the final game.

Maybe an option would be to test the game in another way to get the reward? Without having us explore the world? Couldn't we give comments on other parts of the game and leave the itty bitty details to the hardcore?

The 20 minutes I had to play around today I can say that what bothered me most about the game was how the movement and animation of the player character felt. It felt like I was "gliding" along the ground. Jumping felt unreal, forced and slow (sorry I can't really explain this better).

I know some people will agree with me, but probably way more will disagree on my take on these guild quests (I very much realize that the major demographic on these forums are the people who have the time and means to play each release, and already are spoiled on most of the content), I just wanted to give my 2 cents and my take on this. I am truly upset that I am being punished for wanting keep the final game new, fresh and surprising to me.

Otherwise, great job everyone, thank you to the members for diligently testing and commenting on each new addition and tweak and thank you to the developers for listening to them. Cheers everyone!

*Edited for language - Koldar

Gaelis, Caliya and dp_dropout like this.
  2. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

It's not fair to those of us with crash bugs that are completely unable to participate in the current release. I've been able to login for more than an hour the entire duration of release 10 and will miss out on this item and that's not fair at all. I miss out on a give away because of a technical issue that I've experienced for nearly all releases...

Edit: give us an option. Make it available in the store for $5 or something for those who want it but don't/can't help out by testing. A nice compromise for those who can support in other ways.

Edit: Some helpful members in this topic have pointed out that the developers are aware that some people will miss out due to a lack of experience or inability to deal with technical issues and will assist those who contact them through support!

3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Couldn't agree more.

4. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

If you're getting stuck in Freeport you can try /stuck. This worked for me as I got teleported out into the hidden vale map.

5. Beli

Beli Avatar

Well Dean478 they will have to do something for those that have been having issues this release. I had them for the first two days and now back to having them, I am not sure it was a good idea of offering exclusive reward upon completing a quest in Pre-Apha.

Gaelis, Ned888, Joviex and 1 other person like this.
  6. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

DS said in the news post that people who are having issues playing the game and therefore can't complete the objectives should email support@portalarium.com. They'll help you out if that's the case.

7. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I suffered crashes near the crafting tables in Owl's Head and since the last small update, I can no longer get past the login screen.

I haven't been able to find this post? Thank you though, I might have to do just that and pass on my crash reports.

8. Beli

Beli Avatar

Try 32 bit Dean478, I seem to crash less in 32 bit mode

Gaelis likes this.
  9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Yes, @DarkStarr did say that if anyone had trouble crashing and couldn't complete the quest they should email support@portalarium.com and they would see what they could do. I'm mobile at the moment or else I would grab his post. Try viewing DarkStarr's profile to see his recent posts - it was sometime on Wednesday or Thursday that he made that statement.

10. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Here you go!

11. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

I had forgotten there was a 32-bit client... so used to 64-bit these days.

Unfortunately it DID allow me to login without crashing. But upon entering the gameworld, I'm immediately thrust back to the login screen. This is an issue I'd have ever since release 1. :/

Edit: Actually, it may be working. I'll keep trying. But generally what happens is it randomly gives me a "connection lost" message and returns to the login screen. It it at the time of this post but right now it's working?

Edit 2: nope. thrust back to login sreen with the error again..

12. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

If you haven't done so already, turn off the P2P in the launcher. That may help with connection issues. Also, if you get to the Video options screen, set it to "Fastest". That will help with getting in to Owl's Head.

13. Gemini

Gemini Avatar

I had planned to wait to play until beta, these early releases while an interesting insight are for me too unstable and laggy, happy to support with cash but I do not derive enjoyment from or have any background in games 'testing'.

But then you offer the Cavalier Hat through a quest, a 'must have' item one down from the coconuts, so here I am moaning about the unfairness of constantly being stuck trying to exit Kingsport...

Not sure how my rage quit benefits the developers but glad I could do my bit.

dp_dropout likes this.
  14. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

If your avatar is freezing trying leave Kingsport, and you are trying to leave via the north exit by the sea, keep the "W" key pressed down to keep heading north. It's a graphics freeze only, your character is still "live".

15. Undelivered

Undelivered Avatar

Darkstar commented on a post just like this a few days ago. He said to Email them and they will work something out for you.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Have mixed feelings on this subject. I agree there is legitimate concern if there are technical issues preventing someone from taking advantage but that all depends on how Portalarium handles those cases. Beyond that this is basically like any other limited time offer. There's always going to be folks who are unable to take advantage.

Scolari79 likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I can see the concern over not having that hat...

Phredicon and robatzen like this.
  18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Somewhat disingenuous to say they are unable to take advantage. The implication is there is something THEY did to cause a disadvantage, like taking a vacation, or sent the computer to the repair shop, or had to work.

But when you are sitting there, with a computer, connection and time to "test" and the game itself is the thing preventing you, that is not those "folks" problem.

I also think it is pretty lame to have contests for limited items if you are in a pre-alpha knowing things are going to be haywire.

I love how "ITS! a PRE-ALPHA" is a great excuse when things go wrong/are not up to someone's standards of perception, but it's ok and stable enough to offer limited time items to entice more people to jump on board?

Ridiculously flawed logic.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's an unnecessarily negative way to look at it. There is no implication there and no reason to suggest such. 2ndly.. It depends on how Portalarium handles cases where the game itself is the preventing factor. They can easily give the item to people to email them about the issue. 3rdly.. it's not a contest.

20. smack

smack Avatar

Very good point about stability and offering release-specific rewards. Anyone having technical issues should be given the reward as they are taking the time and effort to help test and be offered it as such.

However, putting it in the add-on store is not the right solution, as it opens up a huge can of worms: purchasing quest rewards. I'd rather not go down that route, and it looks like from Darkstarr's post that they will work something out with those folks having technical issues.

I hope you and others find a way around the ongoing stability issues. I'm not participating in this specific quest for other reasons, otherwise I'd give you the hat since I have an alt that wouldn't really need it. But I'd really hate to see quest rewards available for purchase in the store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.