Community Hangout - Towns/Housing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Greetings everyone!

The next community hangout will be based on Towns and Housing... what do you want to see?! I will not moderate this one so tight to schedule but it will still have an agenda and each point will have a time limit. This is to be sure we get through things in a timely manner. Below is the agenda as it stands (rough outline only). If you want something added please comment below and I will talk with a few of the RSVP people to see if they like it... get enough likes from the community and it goes in automatically!

We'll be covering the following points:
    • How do you want Portalarium to keep the value of content when it can be added without limitation (IE: the first town adds 5% more housing but the 500th town adds 0.5% more housing... isn't that a lower perceived value?)
    • How do you want Portalarium to give everyone an equal chance at getting a House/Town and keep the game within budget?
    • How do you want Portalarium to implement the permissions system?
      • Some examples of this include:
        1. Keys
          • One key for the whole town or different keys for regions/plots? Both?
          • One key for the whole plot or different keys for each room? Both?
        2. GUI like the current plot system
          • One list for a whole town or done by regions? How do you control regions?
          • One list for a whole plot or done by rooms? How do you control rooms?
    • How do you want Portalarium to implement the decoration of the wild system (out of plot decoration)?
    • NPCs
      • How much control do you want to have BEFORE the NPC is created.
        • How much control over NPC inventory do we expect?
        • How much control over NPC dialog do we expect?
      • How much control do you want to have AFTER the NPC is created.
        • How much control over NPC inventory do we expect?
        • How much control over NPC dialog do we expect?
    • House Name Signs

What this is not:
    This is not a place where people are going to come together and bash Portalarium for things they don't like. If you haven't been following me I'm a huge fan of this game and a firm believer that these guys know what they're doing. I trust them. They know better than I do. That said, I love the fact they're allowing us to be part of development and design like I have never been before. I love seeing the game before all it's parts are in place. I love the community we have here... I have lots of love for lots of things and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Please come ready to voice your requests with respect and in an honorable fashion. I will not tolerate someone bad mouthing another player or Portalarium for a difference of opinions.

Details:
    • When
      • Saturday, October 11th, at 7pm eastern, 6pm central, 4pm pacific
    • How to get a seat
      • I WILL be posting a link to view the hangout both here and in the #SotA irc channel. I will be posting a join link here and will be only inviting people who go through a vetted system prior... R.S.V.P. or you MIGHT not get a seat! To get an R.S.V.P. reply here with "Save me a spot" or something along those lines and I'll add you to the list below. If you show up late you might not get your spot!
    • What you need to have first...
      • A webcam
      • A microphone (preference on a headset for speakers so we don't have sound quality issues)
      • A reason to be here (I have input on...)
    Confirmed attendees (in order of acceptance):

Previous Hangouts:
    9/27/14

9/13/14

8/3/14

7/10/14

Lord Lonn, Budner, Net and 9 others like this.
  2. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Sign me up. This topic is near and dear to my heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Net, Jatvardur, Gaelis and 1 other person like this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Sounds good! Seat saved.

4. Silverglade

Silverglade Avatar

Only one thing that I would love covered.

Control of npcs and the buildings and non lot spacing areas. This would greatly help with décor and things of that nature in the non lot areas.

I want to know npc control for moving and placing them etc. My example is I plan to have a prison I would like to have a couple of npcs in the prison. If they get placed in town as game is live , and before I can build it, can I move them into thier cells and things as I create them. I hate to have to have dev's helping with tedious stuff like that post launch seems burdensome to them.

Thanks.

5. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

16:00 in UTC-7 pretty much excludes people from the EU. You are aware of that?

Jatvardur, Seon and Duke Violation like this.
  6. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I would like to join but it is 3am for me. I miss the part of growing towns. How do they plan that?

Gaelis, Net and Duke Violation like this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

it is hard to have perfect time for ppl from all geographic areas of the world who are backers of this game to be able to easily be in one hangout to discuss or debate any topic.... however, any community member is more then welcome to host their own streams or online hangouts to discuss the game, some peeps have been doing this since during the kickstarter days. One from Denmark did a few but then stopped because there was a lack of interest from other EU backers to even take part in his stream roundtables. Start your own set of hangouts if you really want one that is more easily attended by those in your region's time zones :)

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Thanks for that reminder... I've picked a time that fits well with the home location for Portalarium but I might look at adjusting 1 out of 4 of these to be an early morning so you guys can come late evening for an event. Maybe an 11am central? This events time won't be changed but the next hangout I do might be... I appreciate the feedback!

9. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

i could stand the EU flag....and join the event ^_^

Duke Violation likes this.
  10. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Europe is +7hours to CDT and it would be good it if the hangout would end before midnight. So 3pm central time is the latest for me personal.

11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Sounds good, I'll add you to the list.

12. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Although I agree with your thinking, I would just like to offer my .2 gold in this:
    I believe that having a separate hangout just for the EU would offer nothing but redundancy that could actually make the "second" hangout less appealing to attend, or even view. Having a common hangout helps also in the US/EU interaction of opinions that would have far better result (for lack of better word) than just a US or/and EU hangout. It would also help the devs avoid that redundancy of opinions, saving more of their time.

Having said that, I am excited to see the participants' opinions and suggestions. Good job Dukie!

13. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Please good Duke, May I have a seat reserved.

I am getting in EARLY on this one as housing (and decorations!) is something closer to my heart then nearly any other subject for obvious "Spiritual" reasons.

Thoughts on Topic I would like to see added: - Community Votes help. Get it put on the table.

House Signs - Some way attached to the house, or a sign/pole on the edge of the lot. This sign could have a set of pre-designed designs/pictures to choose from, and/or your coat of arms.
    - Upon hovering ones mouse over the sign (as tho your avatar was looking at it) - Would be able to add/edit text for Avatars to read exactly what this place was. The stone step is great and all but a sign is much nicer looking.

Net, licemeat, Miracle Dragon and 2 others like this.
  14. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I would like join this discussion.

licemeat and Duke Violation like this.
  15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

seats saved.

Caska DiFumarate and Amberraine like this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I've heard some player owned townies discuss a desire to have all their individual private vendors working out of the same house.

Suggestion: I hope to see some discussion of control over these personally owned NPC vendors, and I guess my request is that you could have them tied not only to a lot you own, but to any lot you have maximum permissions on,
    and hopefully there is no limit or a very high limit on the number of NPCs assigned to any particular lot.

I look forward to hearing the discussions!

Jatvardur, Net and Spoon like this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In NPC towns the regular villagers etc have housing. Do POTs need to design space for where the villagers reside as well? Or are they assumed to live in player lots.
    If so having villagers being scripted going lighting lanterns or home to sleep will be not as easy without homes.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I should be able to make this but the timing ain't great for Europeans.

Any chance of pulling it earlier by a couple of hours?

edit:
    Also, save me a seat. Thanks. I'm a town leader as many are already aware so I'm keen to take part and discuss one of my favourite topics with other interested community members.

19. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Will player owned towns be visually manageable by their owners? I mean if one wants to have a faire, will they be able to decorate the walls, city center, etc?

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In dev hangouts Portalarium has mentioned that they will be re-using the ingame GUI with the "For Sale" signs etc to set permissions.
    However that doesn't scale with Row lots. Imagine walking around a Crossroads Village to set permissions, there could be over a hundred houses. Scale that up to a Metropolis and it just doesn't work anymore.
    So we need a list GUI for permissions.

Then some POTs will be guild towns, if so one should be able to set permissions for X guild to the town or lots. So that leaving/kicking you out from the guild will also kick you out from the POT permissions. (This would be the same criteria as guild houses etc).
    On top of that there will be towns with multiple guilds, so you'd want to set this district to that guild, another disctrict to this other guild and so on.

It would also be very nice if we can be in multiple guilds so that a POT could have a guild with permission for its "community" houses. That way you can have semi public houses/lots where citizens can partake but not a stranger walking in.

It would be nice to hear someone representing one of the really big POTs and see how they are thinking on how to handle permissions.

mbomber, Miracle Dragon and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.