What you can do to secure your own private owned lot.

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Duke William of Serenite, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Alot of us are avoiding the lot rush by pooling resources together to get some guild land.

If ya'll have a 50 player guild and everyone donates 100 usd. Everyone will have at least 3 lots to their name... . You don't have to worry about the in game LOT rushes where the Royal accounts will go first.

Have you seen how many lots come in a 5k metropolis??

In Arche Age you paid 50-150 and there is a good chance you are empty handed. As a matter of fact that happened to me. I own this bugger sized lot in the crappiest area in Arche Age. Am I happy with my $150.00 lottery ticket? No I am not because I didn't take the day off of work for the land grab. I had slim pickings and this was the first 24 hours of the game at launch for Founders!!! All the lots were taken before 24 hours was up. I logged on the FIRST day and I quicky leveled up my cha to get a home and I had to settle in a really bad spot far away from my guild members.

This is for the 5k metropolis here in SOTA.
    • 123 Village Lots + 1 Castle Lot for a player owned metropolis...
    • Most people don't even own village housing which is for the people who gave more than 800 dollars knight and above.
    • So this could be the smaller lots which will turn the 123 village into about 200 plus of the smaller lots.
    • So the player owned metropolis is an overkill for a 50 person guild. They can each donate 50 usd and still own more than one lot.
    • You also get to live together and form a community and make your OWN RULES. PVP non pvp what have you.
    • On top of all of that you and your guild can create a name and the Lore of your town and even have a hand in shaping the look and feel of it with devs.
    I see alot of positives here, I am surprised this game is being compared to the housing failure that happened in Arche Age.

Looking at the negatives, the land owner can kick you at will. I edited this post to reflect my findings. Thank you all for your replies and help on getting some facts straight.

2. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

What if you have a falling out with your guild and the GM kicks you out and locks those properties? Will you get your $50 back?

mbomber, Margard, Net and 1 other person like this.
  3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

If I understand you you're talking about the space to place and not being able to have a deed to place right?

Read the fine print....
    Player run towns do not include the lot deeds
    There will be a path to achieve this in game via in game gold purchase but the ownership of the scene will incur a rental fee
    We will contact you on an individual basis to plan your layout when we reach that phase of development. In the meantime, we ask for your patience and not to send us design requests and questions yet.

You have the space to place lots, but you have to acquire the deeds to actually place a house separately. So for what they would contribute, they'd have to buy an additional deed to be able to actually place a home there.

Just making sure I understand you correctly.

Margard, Koldar, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good OP.

Good questions by Vyrin.

5. Lained

Lained Avatar

The "key" is just a permission set by the owner of the player owned town and can be revoked at will as per the Housing FAQ.

6. Drocis the Devious

This is one of those things that the dev team should think harder on. It's not going to be a good situation when one person (let alone an entire guild) gets kicked out of a town, regardless of the reason why.

I've brought this up multiple times but the issue seems to be purposefully ignored (at least publicly).

Kvow and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  7. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I'm sure this is something the dev team wants to stay out of.
    Business arrangements you make with other players are not Portalarium's concern.

If you aren't the town owner, you are gambling by giving another player money to live in his town.

The solution is to choose a lot controlled by Portalarium.

Margard, Gaelis, Ronan and 7 others like this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It's quite simple really, Portalarium have nothing to gain from reversing that decision.
    So they are protecting the rights of the owner. There will be so many more deed owners than town owners, and deed owners can pack up and leave with the potential to find a new residency, while a town owner couldn't.

Given the history of griefing and guild traitors I'd say they have no choice so I cannot see a reasonable scenario were they would want to take that decision back.

Koldar likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Agreed. But then that begs the question, are player towns worth the money if they're not going to have tools that support a more secure and stable environment for "joe average" player? You can always say "well if they're not worth it then people won't pay the money!" But the potential impact of player towns "not working out" and becoming "ghost towns" is something that should be taken seriously. What I mean is that this is not something you really want to experiment with. The dev team should have a plan, and I'm not so sure that letting the players decide is the best option for the community as a whole.

Btw, I'm asking these questions as a person that owns a player holdfast.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Sir Frank

Whether a town is well run and successful or becomes a ghost town is the concern of the town owner.
    It makes no real difference if a player town is a ghost town to me. Once I learn there is nothing there for me, I'll not visit again until I hear differently.
    It merely becomes a dot on the map I don't care about.

I suspect there are town owners that don't care, or even don't want others to live in their town.

Town owners that want a thriving town will work to make it so. This is not Portalarium's concern.
    The game will reside in Portalarium controlled towns, whether player towns are successful or not.

If all player towns become ghost towns, players will still be able to do business in Portalarium towns.
    Portalarium is not obligated to provide secure plots of land for every player.
    In fact, they've said from the beginning that it is their intent that housing will be limited.

Margard, Budner and Leos like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Sir Frank, the point I'm trying to make is not that Portalarium has an obligation, I agree they don't. I'm saying it's in their best interest to provide a fun experience. When they sell land and power (the ability to kick people out of that land) to players, effectively outsourcing any issues or problems that may arise, that's fine. They can do that. But who do they have to blame if this decision comes back to bite them?

Here a few things I believe we'll hear early on at launch.
    1. I paid money to guild X and they kicked me out. I want my money back!
    2. I paid money to the town owner to help create town Y, I don't have a good spot in the town and I want out but they won't give me my money back!
    3. I went to a player town that is poorly run and all the real events are in these other areas of the game. Now I can't find housing close to that!
    4. I paid money to help get a town, but now I don't have money to pay for the lot. I want my money back!

There's a disclaimer on the website for all of that. But does it matter if you have a bunch of community members yelling about things that are just really bad and ultimately will hurt the reputation of the game? I'm using a lot of "what if" logic here, but I think the scenarios I listed above are not very hard to imagine.

Again, Portalarium doesn't have an obligation, but they may have a vested interest in making a better game that helps smooth out these issues. Take the OP for example, he seems like a very nice fellow...what's his attitude going to be like on launch day if he finds out that he doesn't have a house deed and his guildmates can kick him out of the town whenever they feel like it? Now times that potential backlash by the number of towns and available lots....not good.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. Sir Frank

Ah. I get your point.
    I'm sure the things you list will happen, and it would be better if Portalarium is prepared for those, or move to prevent them.

However, they have a business to run, and the affordable solution may be an ugly one.
    We shall see.

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Out of those, 2 and 4 has already happened.

14. Duke William of Serenite

Easy you tell him your are purchasing the key for the plot. I give you money you give me key. That way you cover your butt.

Just pray your not in a pvp city cuz they will kick your ass all day and night when your up late trying to make cookies in the oven!

HokageFont likes this.
  15. Duke William of Serenite

Yes and deeds can be bought in game with gold. You will then have to pay a fee for rent if you choose to do it this way. If you don't want to pay rent purchase the weakest pledge which will give you a cottage and a deed.

HokageFont likes this.
  16. Duke William of Serenite

So what if the town is a ghost town or not? This post is about getting a plot, not getting a plot and having a line of people at your vendor buying things lol! Whether you get visitors in your city or not is up to you and your town. Some towns may be for pvp some for other things.

Potalarium is not obligated to give you a home no. If that is what you want from them please do not hold your breath.

17. Drocis the Devious

I know all about Darkfall, you're right it's a very dark place.

I don't think that's the goal here in Shroud of the Avatar.

I rest my case. :)

18. Duke William of Serenite

Allow me to use the Baron as an example. He has been on these forums for months and he has started a guild. He has put his time and money into this game and has become a known member of these forums.

If I had the problem of having no guild and need to purchase a plot he would be one of the guys I would ask.

Why because if I give him 100 dollars and he agrees to a key and rips me off I can come here and post about it. After he rips off a few people and we hear about it on forums his rep would be ruined.

I doubt that is what he is trying to achieve here. So yes please use some common sense/wisdom before you throw your money at someone.

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Third time.
    Keys do not work like that.
    Even if you have a "key" to a lot, the owner of a POT can still kick you out.

The only towns you cannot be kicked out of, are NPC towns.

Margard likes this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

I can only repeat what I have read . The key owner can evict an occupant but he needs the key even if he is the owner. So if you have the key the owner cannot evict you. Where did you get your info from? Please enlighten me where you found such info.

• X Keys to X Locked Lots:
      • Keys equal to the number of lots chosen
      • Owner of the keys can lock and unlock lots at will so they can actively control who gets to live there
      • The key owner can evict an occupant and lock the lot using the key
      • Players will still need lot deeds to claim the lots once the town owner unlocks the lots

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.