Let's hope that SoTA follows a different path than Trion & Archeage for housing

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by QTIP, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatar! I just wanted to pop in here and remind everyone to make sure you are following the Forum Rules when posting. As for the topic, I see all things related to housing as fair game here. Topics naturally wander over the course of conversation. Most of what I have seen I would consider normal subject wandering. :cool:

2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

This game has a simple solution for land. If you dont have a place to put your house buy a holdfast.

Simple solution, that is what I plan on doing.

Lord Baldrith and Gaelis like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Why buy one when you simply can head over to the forum and ask all the player-town owners for a place to live?

Amd then - I don't think that player-owned towns will be in the store in the same manner after launch.

Lord Baldrith, Gaelis and Margard like this.
  4. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Well RG & Darkstar compared SotA to the Oklahoma land grab if so how come most of the plots have already been sold and the Richest ( Elite) have a special time slot to choose their plot.
    At least Archeage made obtaining a piece of housing land competitive for any subscription players and kept out the F2P & P2W brigade who cant buy from a shop.
    Plus they add extra servers to try to keep up with demand not sticking to a bad decision that allows only one server for the whole player base when the most you will ever see is about 64 players in one scene. What's the point of that If a player cant get a house on the server they will not care about anyone else's little domain.

Tarsilion and Caliya like this.
  5. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

You can do that too . Yes I'm planning to get it before launch.

Gaelis likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Umm, you are not truly competing with the richest, this since they have larger lots. The richest are competing with the richest, then the midle with the midle, etc all the way down to row holders.
    Instead its not how much you pledged but how early which is the differentiator. RF>F>B.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lot-selection-sequence-process.11466/
    Then there is going to be a surplus of lots available in all the lower tiers, row & village, especially so in player-towns.
    Plus some won't even try the lotrush since they are in guilds with a player-town.

So it really only matters to low-level pledgers who intend to become merchants needing a location to sell from and only looking for default cities. If so I recommend going for the quest line which brings you further from the starting point - so hours in game will mean more than money spent as time goes by.

So yes there will be a lot of landgrabbing in the lower tiers but that is also where you have the most choices available.

Even given all of that - if you are only looking for a resident lot to call your own and don't care about exactly where - then you are probably just as good off buying it with gold ingame.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lot-deeds-never-oversold.5733/

7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Lot deeds not being oversold is not the same as saying there will be enough lot deeds for most people who want to buy one (for real money or in-game gold).

They have asserted, in writing, that plots are limited. RG wants them to be rare and limited.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agree, if you are talking about half a year to a year from now and you are new to the game and if the game is a hit.
    Disagree, if you are talking about someone relatively active in the game launch who expect to play a lot.

Right now in the addon store there are 992 of 1000 rows left, that means 8 sold so not exactly a rush there. Villages on the other hand are going much faster only 157 of 450 left (since the price for rows is driving sales of villages - not many would buy addon villages pre-launch at that price if not for the row price).
    That is just the ones in the store, more are to become available only through ingame purchase.

So my humble prediction is that villages will run out in the addon store before or right after launch (if the game is fun in the beta), but hundreds upon hundreds of rows will become available in game. Those rows will only run dry if the game is a fast hit. Right now, I think it's safe to say that if they will be a hit - it will be a slow hit since it's a niche market.

9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Of course they are not selling fast do you think the majority of players want to pay real money for a pixel house in an unfinished game were things you think are the games concept changes on a daily basis with ideas just to bring in more money, not actual game improvements.

The only voices backing all the housing & player towns are the couple of thousand that have paid a lot of money to get multiple plots and are trying to convince the masses they are right.

Caliya likes this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I do think that there is a big market of people willing to pay real money for pixel houses in games like these.
    I also think that it is important that you should be able to use gold/quests to get one as well, otherwise the appreciated worth of those pixel houses won't be the same.

For the majority >75% of interested players I'd say they are in the lower pledge tiers <75$. Especially now with the alienware thingie.
    Those players are the ones which will be the important ones post launch.
    They are also the ones least likely to get alpha fever and jump ships due to expectations.

If they think it's fun and they committed then you will have word-of-mouth and lots more smallish purchases of bling in the addon store.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I hope my initial thoughts were right and 5 years from now I look back and think "I'm sure glad I spent so much money!"

That's the trickiest part of all this, you have to be wrong before you can ever be right. ;)

12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I LOL'd irl... you sir win the post of the day for the next year... and possibly the year after that. Enjoy your parking space.

13. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Adding on to the discussion here, I just came from Archeage forums - the game is unfortunately, riddled with botting and hacking (farm bots, teleporting bots, gold spam, etc) - the F2P model is not working in their favour and their economy is beginning to go out of whack. This has also lead to the bot/hackers being able to buy land and housing far faster than the honest community.

From what I gathered, Archeage also has a similar model to SotA - backers, royal founders, founders and benefactors will be allowed to pick their lots first (in order of some priority). In Archeage's instance however, their servers could not handle the login and their 'patrons' etc, were not able to login in time to get their advance pick before the main land rush. It's a huge mess in many directions, and it's SCARY to think it could happen for SotA.

Joviex and Caliya like this.
  14. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I'm very confident that Portalarium will look after all their players (backers and new comers alike). If the release has log in trouble, they won't abandon the backers to rush a deadline. I firmly believe this.

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

If your a paying customer for Arche, it takes about 3 min to log in so im not complaining! When i was free to play it was like and hour or two!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  16. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Yeah, creating a landed aristocracy populated by those who have wealth is much better and won't result in complaints at all!

Joviex, Caliya and wagram like this.
  17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

That's right!

Wait. There have been long threads in the forums, under Housing, that complained about that model, and the game hasn't even launched.

But somehow, by game launch, everyone will be good with it, like you say, with no further complaints once they see how it really is. =D

Or, somehow, people that might be interested in the game will completely overlook that model.

One can only hope, eh? ;-)

Joviex, adaamhimself and wagram like this.
  18. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

NO REFUNDS!

Joviex and Caliya like this.
  19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Wait .... how do you know this? I can't find this data in the add-on store.

20. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

If you go to the add on shop and click on any plot to buy it will bring up that information for you.

today 01/10/2014
    Rows: 992 of 1000
    Village: 157 of 450
    Town: 88 of 100
    City: 46 of 50

read the top section of the popup.

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.