$25.00 Marriage Certificate

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Duke William of Serenite, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I posted about marriage here and lots of people are exited to see this in game.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/marriage-and-nobility.13391/

The idea is easily done and incredibly simple. You buy the certificate in the shop and it takes you to a second screen where you put your current Avatar name and the name once you get married. This will end up paying for itself and also serves and a name change service. Once its all done your marriage certificate can be used in game to hang on your home.

I even have a castle I can borrow to do the ceremonies. What Lady doesn't want to get married in a castle and have a marriage certificate to decorate her home with?

In any case this idea will be a huge draw for ladies, my wife helped me come up with the certificate idea.

She says hello to everyone and looks forward to meeting y'all in game!

William SereniteOoV
    Order of Vengeance

Akiera, Schmidbauer, Bow Vale and 4 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Great idea.

Two things you need to add.
    1. A cross check with the person they say they're marrying to ensure this is what both parties agree to.
    2. Accountability. Sharing the same last name would not mean sharing the same virtue score and any other flags that go along with a character's last name. So this would need to be considered. There's no room for compromise here. Accountability is number one! (everywhere but on my list)

Other than that, it's good.

3. Mata

Mata Avatar

Hello Wife of William Serenite :)

Gaelis and Zantul like this.
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Can you divorce? If so, does she get half your stuff?

5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

This is a great idea, and would be a good source of revenue for Port. I think that this should be added at some point to the add-on store.

but

50% of Avatar marriages end in divorce. Better call Saul.

KuBaTRiZeS, Zantul and Gaelis like this.
  6. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Monetize everything!!

7. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

LOL coffee just shot out of my nose!

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  8. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

Marriage? I play games to escape and enjoy myself for a while, why in the world....n/m, wife is getting po'd....:). Just a little humor mixed with a little truth. We both have an account here, but no way am I getting married in game too! Well, unless her daddy comes in-game with the shotgun again...

Gaelis, Amberraine and Mata like this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

We need $50 divorce certificate then:)

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I could see a package with the certificate, a tux, a dress, two wedding rings, a LB cake, and some flowers. Would handle the majority of player marriages without needing a dev to be present.

You could make the certificate be a one-use type item; double-click it to activate, target the player you are marrying and it will change your name to match theirs (with a confirmation window for both parties), then the certificate is just a decoration. Less overhead for the devs.

11. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I like this, except for the marriage fun pack. I don't know one bride who wants a one size fits all wedding.
    Have the following options:
    1. Basic: Marriage Certificate
    2. Novelty: Marriage Certificate and two wedding bands

If a couple is getting married in game, then they'll worry about the other details :rolleyes:

Net and Duke Violation like this.
  12. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

a marriage contract items has been brought up before by myself and a few others. it would be a great way to have a physical item for players to marry without having to involve an NPC, as well as add to the RPing element.... would need a method to do divorce then with the item as well. would make for good decoration, plus as I talked about in the marriage system i proposed, u could use it to tie into the permissions system and spouse title system that would be a system side thing to then keep things working without huge issues or alot of extra maintenance for the dev team, while piggy backing on current systems they are working on.

Zantul and Duke Violation like this.
  13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I think it's better handled in a trade window than a double click... you already have a system where something is tracked (all trades are tracked) and players sign (adds immersion to sign the contract) and a way to break it (trade it to another person and it voids as you've just attempted to enter into THE EXACT SAME contract with two people (no, not meant as an argument on people who want to role play polygamy ... I think they should be required to get multiple contracts).

I'm all for having a novelty item you can wear and put on your wall as decoration... :) I'd love it if you could view it and it had a UI thing that showed the date/time you were married in New Britannia or US Central time as well!!!

Golem Dragon likes this.
  14. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I only see one issue with the Browncoat idea:

Yep, I find the issue here. Make it LB Pie and its solid =)

.. Seriously however. I have to agree that not all people will want the "one size/look fits all" . I know as a role player I take "A LOT" of time in picking out outfits for different scenes. I do like this idea however for marriage, although the price tag is a bit rich for some who only wish to play the game and not fork out a lot of RL cash, unless it can also be obtained in world for gold for those that wish to marry but can not afford real things.

The devs can not be at every wedding and still get the game progessing. I remember a time in UO where we had to fill in for those "special" appearances at a wedding. I would dislike to think it comes to that here as Richard and Starr both said they will be the only ones in their PCs unless they are set to NPC mode.

I do like the certificate idea. This is a nice little novelty item that maybe can have the date attached to it so when you hover over it or double click it.. it pops up something like the books do which includes "name of bride, name of groom, date of marriage" and a little stamp of the court to say it is witnessed and accepted.

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Items in the Add-On Store (or their equivalent) should be available in game, so this is just a way to get these without a fuss, and earn a little money for the development of the game at the same time.

And Amber, if there was a LB pie available, I would have used it! The cake is pretty nice looking tho.

16. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I have to admit, it is a nice cake.

I would be up for buying these marriage certificates myself. I would not ever use one, no one wants to marry a witch ~laughs~ but I can see these as being great gifts .... "Go get a room!" ~hands them marriage certificate~ no stronger declaration of saying " by order of the court with permission to... under consent of king"

17. Leffy

Leffy Avatar

Divorce certificates? What about the King Henry VIII way?

18. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

death of a spouse by any means is grounds for the end of the marriage, whether it be divorce or widow/widower :p

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Adoption certificate :)

Golem Dragon likes this.
  20. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

adopt an orphan \o/

save the children from Lord British and his dark tendencies....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.