Stealing

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by ghostthealienhunter, Apr 22, 2014.

?

Should SOTA have the stealing skill?

1. Yes.

76.5%
  2. No.

8.8%
  3. Maybe.

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I didn't mean to imply that it would be implemented poorly. But stealing (and thieving mechanics overall) are such an important staple of RPGs throughout history, including ultima, that not including it until later episodes feels like a glaring omission.

thekookyboy, Trenyc and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Ditto Completely Sir Trenyc...

Bubonic,
    We're all just too old fashion here, we're now all just old diseases in an Ebola world right now :p
    I read somewhere here about the company's vision of E-1 that said something about how there will be enough skills in the world that will need more time than a year to become proficient in just in the fighting skills alone. In the final outcome, I want to swing like Spiderman and Ocean-11 my way with my gang into banks for a bit of LB's gold... but all that I just said takes more programing time in more money and margarita mix for our developers to figure out right now, because it should be something special and not just a UO-2 thief makeover of the cheap cheezy that it would be considered now to be.

We are in a time right now before the wallet was invented, so I don't sweat it too much ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Lord Baldrith, Trenyc and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Slot it right next to horses and boats. :)

thekookyboy, Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Stealing and other criminal activities need to be included in the initial release. Having a "good vs evil" element among the player base will be an important part of immersion. Of course, there should be consequences if one was caught in the middle of a criminal act as well.

Tahru, Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  5. dweebothegeek

dweebothegeek Avatar

+1 for stealing skill if your flagged for pvp. bodies of fallen enemies really need to be lootable for this to work properly... all items should be lootable/stealable aside from blessed pledge reward/ store purchased items.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. MRHELLBOX

MRHELLBOX Avatar

I find it odd that people want a sophisticated roleplaying game that would put you in peril both in the depths of the dungeon or on the road, but yet still undermine the type of character someone can be because they are either too scared to do it themselves or lack vigilance to take necessary steps to fend off such scourge.

*EDIT* In other word I really live thieves

marshall and Time Lord like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't agree with the over generations of people's reasons for not liking this. However, I am still +1 for the ability. To each his own.

thekookyboy likes this.
  8. MRHELLBOX

MRHELLBOX Avatar

Unfortunately I have seen it time and time again since UO in the late 90's to the fear of just simply repairing ones gear in WoW. Im not going to say its the majority, but I will say there is a decent amount of players who would panic at the shear thought of losing anything off there character. The organic social interactions that arise from something like that could never happen in a purely PvE world which we shall see in what shape or form SotA takes in the regard.

Tahru likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Would be really funny to have a guild of thieves and murderers in the game without the official ability to steal from and murder people. They would just go around threatening people, and saying "Ni" if people didn't give them shrubberies.

DizzySol and thekookyboy like this.
  10. MRHELLBOX

MRHELLBOX Avatar

We'll show em well block Lunar Rifts!

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

thekookyboy likes this.
  12. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Food for thought: stealing is still worth adding for you even though you don't plan to use it simply because how can you be virtuous if the option to not be virtuous isn't there? If you are making a constant decision not to steal then that's roleplaying the character. Not stealing because you can't...well then I feel like the experience is more empty.

As a PVEr, I'm for PVE stealing being present in the game. Stealing from players though should only be available if that player is flagged for PVP.

74% of the forum has voted for stealing but the devs have stated it won't be in the game-at least for Episode I. How exactly is that being "produced and allowed to be controlled like a democratic party"?

thekookyboy likes this.
  13. Legenis

Legenis Avatar

The Thief was my first GM toon in UO. Till this day it has been my favorite role I have played in MMORPGs.

marshall likes this.
  14. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I like the thought of stealing and thieves but I guess there are too many kinks to work out to get it done as of right now so that's fine by me.
    I usually play my character as a murderer that has been kinda cramped but still works, all in all I think they got the situation under control even though the huge pressure that is being put on them ;d

*/Me after a "few" glass of red :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.