Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback - Moongate

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by licemeat, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

The thing I hated most about WoW was waiting for the blimps/trains. This is 5x worse because it takes even longer. It isn't fun to stand around doing nothing for 10 minutes.

Budner and mike11 like this.
  2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

It can be remedied by a runebook, though.;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Gah! No runebooks! Please!

Wasn't there supposed to eventually be a spell to manipulate lunar rifts?

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

It would be nice for testing purposes just to be able to use the moonga---LUNAR RIFT, and it just gives a menu of where you want to go.

5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

agree. Although there should be a method, they need to improve Moongates more drastically, in the right direction.

I think, Moongates can much more travel hubs like they should be. People will want to enter them to get to common locations, but I hear there will just be four!

Until all 4 gates are working, gate-travel will be seriously on stand-by for test purposes.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think moongates shouldn't be manipulated to be instant travel at will....it seems that way right now because the map isn't done and we can't really travel to all the places. This will be corrected when we can, changing the moongates to make them to easy would make people bounce around the world without traveling.

Vyrin and Leos like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Only if there's a mark/recall type ability. With only 4 destinations people will still have to travel. It's when you can customize the destination and/or teleport from any location that it becomes an issue.

I just don't want to see people popping in and out of everywhere willy nilly like it's the most natural thing in the world while others sit around begging for a gate for 20 minutes to somewhere they could walk to in 5. Or even worse.. teleporting across the street to the next vendor. *cringe*

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Some type of fast method of flying from town to town, mayhaps invent some sort of dragon flying method never used in any game ever, better than awkwardly navigating using the w,s,a,d? keys?

9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The moongate is ludicrous - bored to tears waiting for it to change :/

Joviex likes this.
  10. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

/cry doesn't quite capture the experience. Need: /wail

Joviex likes this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This worked perfectly in the old games because you could just fast forward to the time you wanted.
    It doesn't work without a fast forward, it's just boring and those poor deer and rabits get slaughtered in their thousands as we wait in Owl's Head.

It would be much better if it is like the Iconian Gateways in Star Trek, they flicker rather fast like a 5s cycle. They could even add 'in between' locations which if you time it wrong you get to. (Anyone remember Orion's shade of blue aliens?)
    Then you'd have spells that keep them open so you have time to move a whole party in them.

12. smack

smack Avatar

5 seconds is still too slow. I want it to flash by at 60 fps and hope I click on the right one.

But seriously, I never understood artificial barriers if testability is the priority. Remember when the rifts were on a 30 minute cycle in R9? Now it's 5 minutes. There's no logic behind these artificial delays, or at least none explained why they take precedence over testability. I mean we have /home and /zone for some odd reason...yet we have to wait some arbitrary time to use the rift. It's not like we don't know that whatever timing delay is enforced now won't really be the true timing or method to use them at launch.

If it's conditioning, why 5 minutes? Why not put it back at 30 minutes?

Also, did we complain this much about the 30 minutes before vs now (even at 5 minutes)? I guess it has to do with wanting to finish that grand tour quest, where as previously, there was no reward to explore so we just accepted the 30 minute cycle and explored for fun?

Vyrin likes this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Set the timer to something like 1 minutes, or 30 seconds. Five minutes is wwwaaayyy too long.

Joviex likes this.
  14. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

The only possible benefit to the wait is it can inspire interaction with other players... But even then I feel like something needs to be added to make the conversation more than "so... looks like we're both here waiting for the train to arrive... /afk"

Maybe putting the lunar rifts in the middle of a player ran markets would make the wait immensely more useful and dare I say enjoyable. From an anthropological perspective it doesn't make sense for transportation hubs to be on the outskirts of towns. I don't think we need to carry over this feature from Ultima :-/ . Also there is no indication about when the scheduled 'train' will arrive. Would love a visual indicator for seconds (or some time interval) until arrival.

Sorry for the train analogy; happen to be sitting on one now.

licemeat and Joviex like this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Ultima Underworld II comes to mind.

There are stones channeling into the rift. How about we can either approach the rift from the correlating stone or we can click the stone to change the destination.

16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

because it was 30. I can get a lot done in 25 minutes, not so much in 4. at least then I could walk away for 20 ish, do something, then recheck the gate. also once you had the pattern of places down you could walk away for over an hour before it was where you needed it.

Now you can't really go do anything else in the time. so it's too long to wait, and to short to leave and come back. And we are supposed to be testing.

is idling at a teleport a serious test?

smack likes this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If it's a place holder for a different intended design then there is no reason for testing. Not every single element needs testing.

18. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Hey.... the time is a lot faster now! Thanks!

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes this issue is now remedied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.