Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What happened to all the overland hexes?

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Sir Seir, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Now (R11) we can only enter where there is text on the map (unless I'm missing something).

Did I miss this change somehow? Really don't like it...

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

smack and Margard like this.
  3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

i miss the old pvp marker, but im sure they will bring it back or replace it with something similar, later.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

4. Kether

Kether Avatar

I have mixed feelings about the new direction the map has taken...

Pros: It feels more intuitive and easier to navigate. Makes the world less redundant and repetitive.
    Cons: Drastically reduces the actual size of the world. Makes resources even scarcer.

Basically, I like how it feels but not what it means. The world now is much much smaller. We were all hoping for a vast world, even one of the stretch goals was a double sized map... and yes, now we may have a big map but smaller on the inside.

I understand that kaving a large number of hexes is an issue now as the number of players is low, but as the playerbase grows, we should have me scenes available. Also, if we are going to have so much less scenes (we had one per hex before, now we have one per N hexes) they have to be much larger than what they are now. Else the world is going to feel really constrained.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, hoping for a more thorough explanation to provide some clarity around the new direction. Right now the community is left guessing on the short and long term implications.

6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree that it has somehow made the starting island feel a bit smaller, not sure why though. I guess getting to feel this on the whole of Novia will be the real test.

7. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I like it. Now they can put in things that make sense, place some graphical marker like a small house, a hole, cave, trees or whatever and each marker will lead to an area that adds to the story and make sense. Two hundred identical forest areas did not make sense. I just hope that they enlerge the areas or link some scenes/dungeons together to make each play area larger and still give the needed resources now that there are less hexes on the overland map.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hmmm... I have to say that I like the way scenes are handled now. This way the scenes can be special and more unique. With being able to enter every hex it was odd that those hexes all looked the same.

But as we don't have that much hexes anymore which we can enter this also means that the overland map has to rock! With us spending more time on the overland map it needs to be even more detailed with more going on, more animations, more nature, more animals, more things to discover etc. So that it is really fun, interesting and great looking walking around on the overland map which should then feel even more alive.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I want to be able to cross the water on the map. Trying to navigate that little bridge is crazy and only with Wasd keys. Need some mouse usage available. I do think it is shaping up to look so much better. The trees look great

Jynx, Siriustar, Lyran and 6 others like this.
  10. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Yea, I'd like that bridge to be wider & mouse movement. The not being able to go into a hex that they have. Nothing for (yet) is fine & a great test.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If I understand this correctly they never plan on making them accessible unless it gets added as a special place.

12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

If its a special place, then I suddenly dislike the notifier button that it is a place.

Siriustar and Ravenclaw [BEAR] like this.
  13. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

As stated by Darkstarr:
    This really did surprise me. It really feels as if the world was condensed but I will reserve judgement until another release but all I want to reference is "hidden" locations. How will those be different than what we have as "named locations" now? Will it be a house that does NOT have a "Enter now" but can still be entered by double clicking or some other way (item in possession, say a keyword, etc).

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm surprised this hasn't become a bigger issue. They basically just cut down their workload by a large margin by removing content. The areas we can enter now would have been their anyways. Can anyone confirm that the hexes get picked clean by people all going to the same place? This is very different then the original plan. Is there still a chance for random areas on the main map to have random encounters?

vjek and Joviex like this.
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I agree, click to move on the overland map would be great. Every time I enter the map I want to click with the mouse and expect my hero to walk there before realizing that movement works with WASD...

As for hidden places. Maybe some appear when you are near them, maybe a sparkle on the map indicates that something is hidden in this place, maybe some only appear when certain conditions are met like a thunderstorm during a full moon...

Ravenclaw [BEAR] likes this.
  16. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

I like how the map hexes were condensed to certain areas. I don't like how it made Hidden Vale feel a lot smaller. I lean more towards how they were condensed because it will give players who play online a more multiplayer feeling as it puts more players in a smaller area.

17. Margard

Margard Avatar

I actually do not think this is the ideal approach - personally speaking - the wonder of being able to explore a land and intake the "moment" has a lot more to do with isolation - rare encounters become that more special and unique

Populated areas / towns etc is where people should be seen or "met"

Lands become less special to me as an explorer if I know everyone is there ... isolation in games or isolated encounters while in a group is more of what I would like to see in game - running into lots of people in the "wilderness" is counter intuitive to the creation of a believable world (just my opinion)

Alayth, Sunswords and Myrcello like this.
  18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I would like to know how this is forfilling the goal of doubling the map size? Particularly when that goal was stated as a doubling of the number of Hexes

19. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Gee, how weird we are left guessing after a major change to the original design. lols.

vjek, Seir, smack and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Well, I hate to say it, but I called it about a year ago - I knew there was no way Port would have the resources to create all the content necessary to fill the hexes. A move like this was almost predetermined. (Which made me all the more skeptical of the world expansion stretch goal) ;)

vjek, Myrcello, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.