Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Full Plate

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I noticed this evening that one of the unbalanced parts of the combat and skill tree's is that if you're wearing full plate mail, you can cross over for a very low amount of skill points and gain MAGICAL resistance to FIRE, PHYSICAL DAMAGE (Earth Magic), ELECTRICAL, and STUN EFFECTS.

I think this is wrong. I think this should have some kind of additional cost associated with it.

Here's why. If a pure mage is fighting against a full plate wearing figher, the only real thing the mage has to damage the fighter in full plate is magic. So what we're doing is giving players that wear full plate an easy way to reduce their weakness to magic.

While the mage has no such skills or spells that protect them from getting hit in the back for 72 points of critical damage from a polearm.

What should be happening is that when Plate Armor is worn, it should add a modifier to the active resistance magic skills that makes those skills less effective. So that a full plate wearing player has to spend the same skills points, but while wearing full plate, instead of getting 20% resistance to fire (for example), you now only get 5% resistance.

I think this would go a long way to making the trade of between magic and combat feel like it's a little more balanced from a DPS standpoint.

Budner and redfish like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, if the idea behind armor is that it makes magic fizzle, then that should apply to passive magic also.

3. Wonderboy2402

Wonderboy2402 Avatar

Um, does heavy armor not also add a higher chance of drawing a blank card in combat? Did you experiment much with heavy equipment this build?

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

To get said resistance it should be mandatory to wear a shield ... if someone shoots a ball of fire at me, and it hits me while I'm wearing full heat conducting material - I should actually have more of a weakness unless I deflect the impact of said magical power - specially with ice and fire ... and possibly have a natural resistance to wind etc ..

The plate armor is simply - not in tune - with a non-gaming view of combat ... I really find it hard to see how an arrow makes little impact on armour individuals ... can arrows go through plate mail or do the movies exaggerate :)

5. Drocis the Devious

I did, I used full plate in both PVE and PVP. I had incredible success with it.

I actually killed one of the devs using just a polearm and leather armor. Of course, he said something about his deck being messed up and his character being level zero, but I'll take it!

Yes, you get slugs, but all that meant to me what that I had to back off stuff and wait for my good skills to pop up before re-engaging in combat. Because I had so many freakin hit points...over 200, I didn't really care about the 15 points of damage from a mages fire arrows. All I had to do was get close enough to them, NPC or player and they were dead.

6. Drocis the Devious

I'm glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about the impact of Lightning on Full Plate. That spell should be doing about 5 times more damage to someone that's in full plate.

Just imagine how different pvp would look if Lightning had that kind of impact on someone wearing Full Plate. OMG I don't know if anyone would ever wear it again. :)

Yet I could see a perfectly good counter to that being a wooden shield. You could get into all kinds of creative ways to mitigate the advantages of one thing with another.

Vyrin, Sunswords and Margard like this.
  7. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I'm thinking the opposite regarding lightning, plate would act like a grounding rod and let the lightning pass to the earth...now, heat/fire would be another story

8. Drocis the Devious

You don't want to be in a lightning storm in platemail.

Fire would be bad too. But Lightining, you'd be one crispy dude.

9. Margard

Margard Avatar

Yes! ... at the moment the slug system promotes damage absorption build with low frequency high yield damage ... (tank)

In terms of a pole arm - I believe someone has mentioned this already - but it should have a hit range - and if someone is within the radius - a card should pop up where the player drops the pole arm and arms themselves with a secondary weapon ...

or as Redfish pointed out in another thread - use it as defense / maybe a push back - quick hit card (no chance to crit)

10. Margard

Margard Avatar

Depends on the inner lining no? would it conduct through leather - cloth for sure

11. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

I have this impression that metal is bad for everything (if you're wearing it). Get too hot and the metal cooks you inside. Get too cold and the metal frost bites your skin (lining helps a bit).Get struck by lightning and well... needless to say it's the worst.

12. Drocis the Devious

I think we have to make a "general rule" here. If the armor is made with metal, it conducts electricity. It doesn't mean that you can use it as a conduit between a your house lights and a power source. But it does mean that unlike cloth and leather it will do MORE damage to you if you're inside of a suit of metal and someone is focusing an electricity attack on you. Are you still going to take damage wearing cloth and leather? Sure, but chain and plate (again, metals) are going to amplify this.

Would you climb a chain link fence during a lightning storm? Would you hold up an umbrella during the storm? Would you want to be Iron Man during that storm?

Yes, I know this is not a perfect science, but we're talking about strengths and weaknesses of different kinds of armor and it seems very reasonable to say Plate no do good with Lightning. Plate of course does GREAT with physical attacks, and it does great with poison (although someone should tell the spiders of R11 that).

13. Drocis the Devious

Yes, to greater or lesser degrees.

I can see where if we look at plate mail only for a second, Lightning would be the worst (see above), fire would probably be next, followed by Ice, and then Earth would be last from a damage standpoint.

For me it's very difficult to get away from D&D 2nd Edition rules. That always seemed like an area that they covered very well. The impact of spells and elemental effects on different types of armor.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

At least it couldn't catch fire easily :> I suggested you should be able to attack with torches , that would obviously set fire to cloth armor... it would heat up the metal armor but wouldn't be set on fire

So you have two types of damage with fire , the base damage and the per turn burn damage, one would be increased with metal armor and one would be decreased

15. Margard

Margard Avatar

a bottle of tar/oil and fire? for the non magic wielding fighter?

16. Drocis the Devious

Maybe we'll see that option with Alchemy. It would be nice if it was unstable as it would likely be in real-life. Oops, did you just get knocked down, break your vials of fire oil and catch yourself on fire? I guess the trip move does have an applicable use.

Margard and Seir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.