Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

What happened to all the overland hexes?

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Sir Seir, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Let me further go with the Wood Map , chop a tree example.

What creates a more believable experience and a truly larger world experience -

To develop 10 different Wood Hexes, that you can enter at the same spot, shuffling you one out of them.
    And knowing that if you go 20 minutes to the other side of the complete map to a Wood Area you will get the same 10 different Wood hexes to choose off?

Or is it more fun to explore each of those 10 different Wood Hexes on totaly different overland map spots?.

I go for the last Version.

Less sice of map but "no random Shuffle" and "truly every spot i enter is something different".

Just my opinion. :)

Deep respect for you rune_74 , of course, but to make this hole "Shuffle random hex Wood" for me fun , they would Need to create so many different Woods maps that i do not notice anymore what i am in. And i can easy memorice plenty of "maps".

Joviex likes this.
  2. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Larger population == MORE $$ to spend on your content.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Sure, but how does that change any of the promises the made?

Also, once they buy the game they are no longer a revenue stream unless they buy from the store...

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh I agree ten randm hexes shuffled wasn't the ideal solution....which is why I think they should have had each hex with a seeded hex made by procedural generation....which would place rocks/trees etc in places at beach hex that would be the same every time you returned to give you a pretty convincing world.

Malevolence did a really good job of procedurally generating a world.

Saosis, Sunswords, Joviex and 2 others like this.
  5. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Actually this is what bothers me the most. It seems not sustainable...

Joviex likes this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If they could somehow manage to either create individual scenes for each hex or procedurally create scenes which are believeable, great looking and interesting then this would be fantastic. But if this is not possible then I prefer the way it is now with fewer but unique scenes.

Having the same scene over and over again across all of Novia is not immersive or logical and could destroy the feeling of the world.

Kaisa likes this.
  7. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

If you had 10 scenes possible in one hex and each has there own resources how would they control the amount of resources gathered into the world, you could enter a hex strip it of resources come out & then enter same hex different looking scene and asset strip that one without even travelling.With SPO, MMO mix the economy will be a nightmare you could have 1000 in SPO entering a scene and all stripping that one scene of resources.
    These are things to test get 10 friends all enter the same scene at the same time in SPO, then check what resources they each get from the scene.

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Controlling resources is easy, they would be tied to a global variable not an individual scene....would only spawn if there was actually some available.

Duke NRaas likes this.
  9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Not a very good variable then unlike on a full open world map were you can keep running around until you find them you may have to endure a few screen loads if you find yourself in empty scene's. So how does that track 1000's of instances in the same hex opening at the same time and decide which will be empty.
    Edit: added

10. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

Circling vultures?

RelExpo likes this.
  11. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Not really.

More population @ a 45$ buy in (to be fair the current avg is around 160$ a person), but the new members per month avg is under 1000 a month.

So lets do the math with average numbers over the next year of what is probable:

30k more users @ 45$ == 1.35 million. 30(ish) employees ~ 45k a year per employee.

Awesome, we were just able to pay everyone for another year of content! Too bad we left no money for server costs, electricity, office supplies, water, rent... blah blah blah.

It also does zero to offset any of the standing pledge tier promises.

Ah, no worries, we can just start firing those content creators to make up the difference, which leads to less content.

If business were easy, everyone would be working for themselves.

12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

this marker, and circling vultures.
    [​IMG]

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Just so you know, even in a full open world they would use a similar system...where they would have a max number available that the nodes would feed off of....it is not that hard to dull out amounts.

14. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Sorry but that's what happens when you prepay for something. Company gets money upfront then is expected to provide the product. They don't get to complain that they don't get an ongoing revinue spice, as a consumer that's not my problem. If the company didn't put money aside to pay for ongoing costs for that contract then that's there problem. Look at the airplane companies for example. An airline pays for plane upfront but the manufacturer still has an ongoing requirement to provide a service for the life of that plane which is what 30? 40? Years. If you can't accept that relationship then don't use that as your business model, but certainly don't complain about it AFTER you har sold your product

Joviex likes this.
  15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree, and have been a rather staunch advocate that the original promises deliver in the presented way. Time and money management is entirely their problem.

To be fair, I have even donated time to trying help alleviate some of that burden with the entire asset review thing, which technically should have been here since month 1.

That is why you see me complain quite heavily about open communication when things change (esp. radically) from the stated goals which remember are winding the corner on a YEAR AND A HALF.

This is, again, not a slight change, and seems to have eradicated an entire stretch goal (doubling the world -- as if we ever knew what the heck that meant?)

Korvash and Sir Asguard like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What it is leading to is a mediocre MMO, and a crappy single player game.

Joviex likes this.
  17. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

Hmm, I would rather have as few "artifical" markers and signs on the overland map as possible.

ByTor [MGT] and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

"Signs" and markers should be natural. A battlefield with burning ground, vultures and some people still fighting could indicate a PvP-Zone. But floating signs destroy the atmosphere.

19. sammakonkorvat

sammakonkorvat Avatar

This is a big change from the original plan but I don't hate it so far. They have to make much larger areas (hexes) to explore, though. I really hope Unity isn't a limiting factor here. If there are still enough areas, random events and encounters to keep it interesting, I don't see too many problems with this direction.

20. mike11

mike11 Avatar

That is where I have a different opinion on the subject.

Inside Zones = exploration and adventure

Overland map = travel and territory control(s)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.