Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Moon gates

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Waxillium, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Can the destinations of rifts also be fully functional rifts having all destination options? (Only for releases, not asking for this in the finished product)

Essentially, can I skip loading Owl's head in R12 when I want to zone from Vertas Pass to The Kobold Camp?

2. Margard

Margard Avatar

The blue is really hard to read on the black background :)

mike11, Duke NRaas and Sir Cabirus like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

/w Pssst, there are no moon gates in SotA only rifts...

And yes this has bugged me to would be nice if at least the solace one would be a real rift like it is supposed to.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Before yesterday's Post Mortem I would've said this is a good request. But I now think that there's a lot of value having everyone in the game kind of funnel through Owl's Head just for testing purposes.

I think being able to see all the objects load up and the impact that has on multiple players and multiple PC's is going to help keep this game stable as we grow in population. I totally support the easier travel in testing though. It's a real pain to have to move around sometimes.

Getting to Ardoris is particularly annoying.

Duke NRaas and Margard like this.
  5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

That being said you are a supporter of not testing crap that you find uninteresting.

Crashing the same crash over again loading Owl's Head can't be all that helpful to Dev's at this point and I'd rather not look at the owls' head loading screen just to look at the next areas loading screen where I'm actually trying to go (perfect example of a run on sentence).

Damn! Too late to change this thread subject line.

Jatvardur likes this.
  6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

This is mostly a moot point though, since the Lunar Rift travel approach is merely a temporary measure while the team works on adding the mainland overworld map.

It is probably easier to code the exit portal to go back to a single position than have the cycling rift object in every one of those locations.

Less effort spent on throw-away work means more effort spent on permanent work. :)

Margard and Kvow [MGT] like this.
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I assume the rift asset is created but I see your point. I hope to access everything from the overland map soon and not have that weird effect where I show up on the overland map based on the last place I /zoned to as opposed to where I actually was. It's all a bit jolting.

Duke NRaas likes this.
  8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Great! I find the rifts more frustrating then the blue on black problem ;)

Margard likes this.
  9. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

I hope they never go to the UO style moongate with the list and the point and click to go everywhere. If there will be rifts, they should only go to a few locations in a random descriptive order with. The return rift should take you back original or to a handful of other locations. I'm sick of the lets make it easy attitude, that's what killed UO for me in the first place. It's supposed to be a complex game, to keep us interested, there is no need to dumb it down.

Traveling and exploring with the possibility of being pulled into an encounter on the overland map sounds fun to me!

Kvow [MGT] likes this.
  10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I completely agree. I like hard and challenging. I just don't want more loading screens while testing.
    I'm not asking that the final product lets me get everywhere from one hub.

Lord Lew likes this.
  11. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

So if we have the memory, passively load all exit destinations as we get close to them?
    I have a quantum processor so it could work.... Or was that quad, one of them..

12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I imagine this has been mentioned by others in the past, but I'd love to see some sort of limited UO-style runes/runebook where you could recall to cities and points of interest. This could co-exist with the overland map.

There is already (via "/home") the ability to recall to your house. Why not somewhere else?

Mata and Sir Dorham Isycle like this.
  13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Currently that is a console command for use in testing, similar to "/zone". It was noted in the recent hangout that proper in-game mechanics are being considered to replace such things.

So... Who knows how they will implement the "/home" equivalent in the final game.

As well, flowing from the recent hangout : The ability to instantly teleport across the game world sounds like it could be counter-productive when attempting to set up "trade caravans" to deal with scarcity. It would also have serious implications regarding the control point hexes we know are in the works.

----

Should be interesting to see what capabilities the dev team actually have in store for us regarding instantaneous transport. :)

Margard and Budner like this.
  14. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Good points. I can see the reasons for limiting "recall".

I really like the /zone command, the ability to transport to a specific player's location. Although just watch the griefing that will create in some cases.

Margard and Duke NRaas like this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

~splits a soul crystal in two, and gives half to budner so they can always find each other~

Margard likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There will be 1 Lunar Rift on the Hidden Vale continent, that's owls head. There will be 3 in Novia. The ones in Novia will not be in cities, instead one is the one you see in Solace so that is sometimes a battle scene with PvP, one is a dangerous ruin. The third I don't remember but might be a ruin as well.
    So even if you use them you still have to travel.
    The other 8 will appear in the other episodes.

17. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

Tho I enjoy the use of rune books and recalling in uo, it has taken so much away from that game. And there is a dark side to such a system in a player driven economy. The ability to mark resource locations to auto farm from a runebook like us done in UO would cripple the system before it begins. Again let's try to shift away from the lets make it easy as pie ideas!

Kvow [MGT] likes this.
  18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I have no problems zoning to Owl's Head then running up the hill to Lunar rift and waiting 20 seconds for each destination to change, I think the Dev's could be working on something else that's more important...

19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If I had no problems I would not ask for this. I crash going into and out of a major location hub.

Net likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.