Is there a PvE endgame?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brahma, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahma

Brahma Avatar

Doesn't need to be raiding, but hard group content? I just fell across this and I am very interested.

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Personally if it does exist, I hope such content is not too extensive, since I would never participate in such myself.

Would rather the dev-team spend their effort on making the single-player content as dense and elaborate as possible. :)

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

End game is a term used to describe what you do once you have blown through all the content. Not really the situation here with SotA. The hex design with the meta server allows for a constant influx of content.

You are probably looking for more of specific answer like raiding or battlegrounds but right now a lot of the stuff is being kept hush hush.

4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

unfortunately as according to FireLotus the story is 1 play through only this is VERY relivent. Personally I hope they change this decision but *shrug*

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I remember asking if they will spend time developing single player/PVE experiences afterwords....I never really got a straight answer.

6. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

At the helm you have:

Chris "World of Warcraft" Spears

and

Starr "Random Combat" Long

What could go wrong?

:(

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

There will be at least 5 episodes, so when you end-game Episode 1 you can wait for future episodes. Not to mention ever-increasing content within each episode.

The end-game for SotA is failure to launch. Or RG flying to Mars, building a castle there, and starting Marsalarium.

8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

hexes change this how? In games like LotRO new content can just be added directly to existing lands as well. carve a dungeon into a mountain, or use a previously locked door as a new entrance.

you imply hexes have something better to offer here in terms of content addition, how?

and end game is not about zero content. Raids are content. PvP is content, just look games like GW where it matters. Seasonal or periodic costs are also content that you can't blow through in normal game play.

9. Margard

Margard Avatar

THIS A MILLION TIMES OVER!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

These examples of content you use, do you need to be max level? What do you gain from them? End game is the reply value. What do we do day in and day out.

WoW, this was a gear grind. Many games use this model
    What is the end game in UO. What was the end game if you subscribe to the idea that UO is WoW like now.

The end game in SotA is probably going to be more based around this hex based dynamic content... The bad forces of the world do not sit in a dungeon waiting for heroes to kill them.

11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I think and hope the the entire term "PvE Endgame" is inaccurate when referring to SotA.

The Conclusion of the Single Player Storyline, which is how I prefer to think of it, should be just that: a climactic end to the story, most likely with a climactic battle of some sort, which then leads into the Falling Action, which in turn sets up the story for Episode 2.

Duke NRaas and Margard like this.
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

In addition, I also think that Story-Centric quests should indeed be one time play through, at least until the storyline itself is complete. Nothing breaks the lore quite like revisiting a place that you've already finished, and having everything revert back to the way it was before you arrived.

Alexander and smack like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

As far as PvE endgame stuff this world appears to be headed in the direction of being entirely player run, economy, and community. I have a strong feeling there is a way you can become involved in many ways not just crafting.

PvE end game is an important part of keeping the world alive and interesting. So what we need to do is think about the things we enjoy doing and bring it to sota. Playing games like checkers, chess, and cards are some of the things we enjoy. What about farming? People liked farmville a lot. Farming in sota not only can look pretty, but you can also yield useful crops for others as well.

Beautiful crops are basically for those with properties that can show them off. So I'm picturing that some people who like big beautiful gardens and have Knight's keeps might downsize their house in favor of displaying a more colorful garden. Placing statues and birdbaths in these areas will also fall into outdoor decoration. This has lots of potential. Also keep in mind not only craftable items but maybe some of the really cool decorations might require some searching and adventuring or quests. That type of thing will give PvE players a goal to attain.

What else would require you to search out things in the world, and/or make relations with other groups and factions? Maybe beyond the scope of the actual storyline there could be groups like elves or factions that you can build up a reputation with. So that after you are done with the storyline you can spend time building relationships with these groups by defending them, trading with them, and so on.

There's lots of possibilities.

EDIT: Maybe they could create random artifacts like dragon skulls that you can obtain when killing a dragon. How about a litch eye that functions as a crystal ball. Things that are unique to certain creatures that are a rare drop. Having lots of these items will allow us to creatively use them as decorations along with player created items. Like stacking a wishbone on a candle stick or something odd like that. Maybe there can be discoverable combinations of items (constructs) that we can discover. These are just thoughts.

Jivalax Azon, Leos and Joviex like this.
  14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I dont play WoW or UO. I played EQ, EQ2, LotRO, ESO, GW2, CoH/CoV e.g.

You dont have to be max level for LotRO or ESO or GW or CoH/V, no.

You are asking me what the gain is, but you have yet to say what the SOTA model gain is other than making the hexes entry points like everysingle game out there already.

Again, how is using the hexes for "end game" content different than in map content? A mechanism to load an area is a mechanism to load an area.

Those hexes going to reflect state? Like in LotRO? Where the single-player or group players get bonuses depending on control of the PvP map?

Will they dynamically change size like the overlay for ESO control points?

In what way do you think they should be making the hexes actually USEFUL to those goals?

If it is simply a "we can bury new content behind a hex" big deal, everyone does that with the mechanisms I already listed.

Also, to @Bubonics point, SOTA "end game for PvE" is Episode 2, then 3, then 4.

You are asking how SOTA, the MMO which is not an MMO, is for end game content.

Which is exactly what I "HOPE" they do with this setup. Dynamic content, player driven, no need for a developer to build up all sorts of expectation hype only to have the playerbase rush the content then complain about a waste, lack of content and the hype.

Developers have increasing given the tools to the players and let them drive that "end game" concept to whatever ends it means TO THEM.

Trying to have a developer design it for everyone is a waste of resources and a setup to fail in the modern age of entitlement players.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not sure where the confusion is so I am backing up to the OP. The question is what is the end game.

The definition of end game would be important here.

Since the hexes can change, and the devs have not shown how things will change, we do not know what the end game will be.

End Game: the stage of a chess game after major reduction of forces;also : the final stage of some action or process
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endgame
    If the story will be unfolding over the course of an episode, you could say the end game is the last part of the story before the next episode. Or you could say the end game is following the story.

But what about after Episode 5 is complete. What do players do then? Do we know, no we do not, and if we did it could change with an update to a hex.

End Game: All applicable content at max level
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1143727-Definition-of-quot-End-game-quot
    Max level, max in all skills, was said to take so long it would not realistically happen. So with that definition, there is no end game.

End game is basically what you do in this game vs logging off and never coming back. Since SotA will have many systems, crafting, PvP, sandbox, on going story, etc. Giving a specific end game is not really possible since those are not complete.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Personally I've warmed up to the idea of no max level since it seems very reasonable that nobody will ever be able to get every skill in the game. The ability to level continually is good because it still allows for progress to be made while doing a dungeon crawl with some friends. Not only can you get gold and items, you still gain XP.

Speaking of dungeon crawls some people like these so much that it is no problem for them to repeat content over and over and over again. Especially if there are lots of dungeons and points of interest to go to. Playing it over and over and over again is really not as dull as it sounds, and it may even be calming to the mind of a person who just wants an escape.

If anybody remembers Gauntlet from back in 1985 or 86. It was a simple dungeon crawl game that had 7 beginner levels, and level 8 and beyond were just a selection of a group of random levels and special treasure hunt scenes that repeated over and over (there was no end of that game I know because I played for 6 hours and 30minuts on one quarter once and got to level 315 before having to get on my bike and bolt home). There were potions that could bomb the screen based on your players magic power, keys for opening doors, and 8 special potions that can enhance one of your abilities. Oh and I almost forgot the thief who enters by making a sound to alert you and you have to wait for him to run through the dungeon and you have to shoot him before he steals one of your magic potions. That game was very popular for a few years. I'm thinking about it because I've been playing the 2014 reboot of it on Steam.

The point is dungeons and other points of interest have a lot of replay potential. The goals don't have to be some amazing new content every time. The goals of each location can be rather basic, while at the same time they can add special goals like speed of killing the boss, speed of making it through the dungeon, the amount of gold gathered, and so on. To keep track of your personal record, and even have titles for finishing the location, titles for holding a record, or whatever. So dungeon crawls are excellent end game stuff.

17. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

I'm basically going to do this. One of my plans (could change) is to live in my row how lot and then put a farm or something on my town lot. Still undecided, since I might use my town lot for guild reasons. But we'll see. :)

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Really cool. Put a windmill on that lot. Not only is it fitting for a farm but if you arr growing lots of stuff it might be good to have some storage. I suppose you can just place a basement if no houses have the look you want.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Lord Baldrith and Jivalax Azon like this.
  19. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

So far we have one in game dungeon that needs to be done in parties. No way one person can solo this dungeon. I believe the dungeon is in Owls head by the cemetary.

Now this is one of the few games where I enjoy spending time at an event with my guild members, meeting new people than actually playing the game itself.

These player run communities are trying to bring to the plate exactly that community.

A place where you can call home and where your friends are and live together to enjoy the game or eachother.

Isaiah [MGT] and smack like this.
  20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Exactly.

there is your end game content

Zantul and Ristra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.