1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Forum Tone

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by FireLotus, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I had hoped I would never have to write this post, but alas, that was not in the cards. I have noticed a drastic change in tone on the forums due to a handful of users, several of which have received warnings and an unfortunate few that have received temporary bans. So I wanted to address this now, with full disclosure, so there will be no questions of my, and the Developers, intents for this community.

This community is one of fellowship. Where passionate, creative gamers can gather to share ideas, offer feedback, and rejoice in the creation of Shroud of the Avatar. It is a place where you, the players, can take part, in an unprecedented level, in the game's development, forging this new world alongside the Devs in what I believe will be a historic journey.

It is not a place where bickering and bullying will be allowed to run rampant. There is no room for ultimatums and demands in place of creativity and collaboration. As such, and after pondering the appropriateness of the "Demand" posts for a week, I have decided that their tone has no place on these forums, and they have been removed. Because there were some good ideas nestled in them, they have been moved off the main forums to an archive where the Developers may view them if they wish. Any new posts with similar tones will likewise be removed.

As for concerns about censorship and freedom of speech, your participation in these forums is a privilege, not a liberty. Your participation is contingent to following the forum rules and may be revoked at any time. I understand that you are passionate about your ideas and that sometimes that passion can lead to a volatile response, but I will not allow a few combative players to try and impose themselves and their ideas on everyone because they feel it is their right to do so. And yes, that goes for everyone, no matter your play style. I have had to warn both PVE and PVP players alike.

I believe in Shroud of the Avatar, I believe in Richard's vision, and I believe in THIS COMMUNITY and I will fight to keep these forums a place where EVERYONE can express their ideas without feeling attacked, where all opinions can be heard without judgement being passed on the speaker, and where creativity and collaboration can flourish.

I will finish be posting the Forum Rules here again, for you to review. Please note that I have edited the definition of "Spam" to be more specific to some of the recurring issues that have evolved.

<hr>

Act with Virtue:

Treat others as you would want to be treated. We are all people united under the same banner, with similar hopes and many different opinions. Show respect for one another, disagree with grace, and offer opinions with humility. And sheath those swords? there are absolutely no personal attacks allowed.

Speak with Virtue:

We are a community with many voices, but remember to watch thy tongue when it comes to profanity, racism, religion, or derogatory attacks on other people and/or their ideas. Speak responsibly and post responsibly or ye will find thyself banned.

Speak with Clarity and Truth:

Keep your posts focused and on topic. No one enjoys reading walls of text and a discussion about ethical parables is not the place for a dissertation about your high-school years. Also, please keep the self-promotion of guilds, websites in the Town Hall section of the forums.

Be not a Troll:

Do not purposefully patronize others or make posts designed to instigate an argument. Our goal is to create a great community for a great game, not to pummel each other with virtual sticks and stones.

Spam not thy Kingdom:

Do not post unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials or any other form of solicitation. Likewise, keep posts on topic and in the proper forums. Consistently strong-arming others into the same discussion, or repeatedly posting the same ideas/opinions in multiple threads/forums may also be considered spamming and should be avoided.

Participate in thy Kingdom:

Lord British wants to hear from you! We want Shroud of the Avatar to be a truly collaborative effort, so please share your ideas! Sometimes great ideas are born in the most innocuous comment or suggestion, so be sure to add your voice to the conversation.

Joviex, Devoid, Xhathis and 8 others like this.
  2. Maximusas

Maximusas Avatar

Its a shame it had o be said... but well said FireLotus

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

*Claps* Well done FireLotus!

4. Corlag TheBard

Corlag TheBard Avatar

Well said FireLouts, and I love the Virtue nods. :)

5. Goose

Goose Avatar

@FireLotus Thanks for this post.

It's best to take a break from the forums if you find yourself getting snarky. Especially during development when there is no right or wrong answer to anything yet. And of all games SotA needs a respectful community.

6. Sir Liam de Lamoureux

Sir Liam de Lamoureux Avatar

Graceful yet firm. You are a true matriarch of the community FireLotus. Sometimes tough love is the way to go :).

Joviex likes this.
  7. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

I hope no one minds if I make a post to say that I appreciate everyone's input and ideas, and good attitudes. We're mature people here for the most part, I think, and most of us interact maturely most of the time, in my opinion.

I want to say here that I feel that Richard Garriott and his team have been very gracious in talking to us and in taking input from us. They have been very encouraging and open for the most part, and certainly moreso than I have seen from other game developers. I've said thank you in chat and on the forums, but as someone said the tone of the fans has gone a little downhill lately, I wanted to restate my gratitude here.

It's a long way to go before we're all adventuring in SOTA. I know when you have hundreds or thousands of dollars on the line, some people can get impatient. For me, this 'universe' of SOTA, begins and ends with Richard Garriott. The rest of us have the opportunity to be heard and encouraged, and many of us will see our ideas have a part in the 'world'.

Let's keep it all in perspective, as mature gamers who like to have fun. I have already had a lot of fun with all of you. I appreciate every kind of uplifting participation and joke. I love the Developer Chats and Updates, and I so enjoy Stephen Daniele's 'Pen of the Avatar'. Richard Garriott seems to be a genuinely nice man, and I've been his fan for a long time. I'm new to Tracy Hickman, but am quickly becoming a fan of his. And last, but not least, I want to thank FireLotus/Gina, because I'm sure the fans can get impatient and grumpy, and seem at times that we're not very mature at all.

Pendragon likes this.
  8. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Full support on this.

Cheers

9. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    I've been a member of plenty of volatile forums. People get passionate about the games they play / their play styles. For some reason I just assumed these forums wouldn't dissolve into a flame-fest. I've been a fan of Lord British and Tracy Hickman for many years. Truth be told once I heard my favorite game designer and my favorite author were teaming up!! I stored away what little I could afford. I missed the Kickstarter due to personal issues, thankfully they gave me an opportunity to join in. after the fact. I am glad to see this post. I just hope the community can stay civil and mature unlike every other game community.

That being said, I fear the vast difference between what people think SotA is/should be will result into the same old type of vitriol. Me? I just hope we get a great game, whether or not it is what I am hoping it'll be. I have faith we'll get something unlike the drivel that is out there now.

Anyway first post on these forums! I promise I'll keep my 'tude in check and enjoy this whole process!

Krez and monxteri like this.
  10. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Well said! It feels good to have guidelines that could only help future discussions become even more productive. Thank you FireLotus!

By-Tor and Isaiah MGT470 like this.
  11. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

I must be lurking out in the 'right' parts of the forum that I haven't seen any issues like this. Unfortunate that such things need to be said. :/

12. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

unfortunately Web Forums are like Politics, Religion, Money, Sexuality - Our parents taught us (or at least I hope they did) to be open minded and have our own beliefs and views on the subjects but never to openly engage in the topics if you able to avoid them due to peoples unwavering passionate views on the subject lest you end up in an argument or worse.

Thanks,
    Matheryn

13. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Avatar

The younger generations have no respect. It's rampant on most all forums out there. Childish, impulent behaviour is very common today, and when you put these personalities behind a computer screen, they see no real concequence for displaying it.

Sadly, it's getting worse in real life. Certain ideologies attempt to nurture this behaviour and attempt to quell it by passive, limp wristed means. It only encourages this malicious personality. It's a fail :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.