Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

This game is not very nub-friendly right now...

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by corky, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

I'm glad that there aren't indicators, though with the short time that the game is on it makes it really difficult to accomplish much unless you spend hours at a time to do anything so I understand the statement of not 'nub-friendly'. I spend more time getting killed by spiders and on load screens than actually accomplishing anything right now. I think I saw Darkstarr say that the game will be open on longer intervals though? Am I right with that? That will help out some with trying to get anything significant accomplished, right now I don't bother to try because with 2 jobs, full time college, and housework I don't get the time to put into the pre-alpha releases.
    Once the game is live I think the quests having the 'no handholding' way of things will be more satisfying and immersive. Right now, when SoTA isn't on I play a little bit of Archeage and think with every step how glad I will be when SoTA finally comes out and there aren't beams of light shooting into the sky showing where to head for the next quest for me to continue grinding. I do think that having a world map accessible would be a great help though, not showing quests or anything but just where shops would be or something so that there is some kind of idea of which direction to head in if there is a specific place I want to go.

2. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I am all for "m" opening the current area map if you have it; however, I'm not wanting the WOW type quest system - although expanded quest information in the journal would be good. I had a good time the other night trying to find a guy for a quest. I killed a wolf and it was noticed a man in town would want to know. So next time I was in town I asked around. I found he only comes into the tavern, "on some nights." I went back the next night and didn't find him. I guess it wasn't my night. But, I still was able to ask around, try out the npc dialogues, and grind/sell loot and had fun.

You have to realize that this game is pre alpa. Thats not even alpha.. or beta. Which is normally used for large scale feedback, testing. The key is not to get stuck or obsessed with questing, or crafting or grinding for that matter. Just play, relax, and explore. There is lots to do; but, you have to go find it. No radar, golden line on the ground, or icons to follow. It's different - not like fast food. Slow down, read the menu, sip the wine, and order something different. You might just have a good time.

3. troymac

troymac Avatar

I have to agree with the OP...I just downloaded he game 2 days ago and realize there are a lot of players that have been playing for a lot longer. It has that OU feel but I can see a major problem already..way to many people not enough resources.
    Hundreds of us running around looking for a Iron node or garlic, 3 hours later you have 2 chunks or ore 5 garlic....all the while dodging small wolf spiders that swarm you and kill you. I don't know about the rest of the gaming community I want my games to fun and enjoyable not the day to day scratching out a living that I do in RL. Yes I like a challenge but not like this . I'm very certain the $150 I dropped on this was not the best idea for gaming fun. Very Tedious and boring.

I realize the game is still in the beginning stages and not even close to finished but unless you were a very early participant you feel way behind. Its like ArcheAge all over .

There needs to be a new player guide. Or instead of playing I can spend hours upon hours searching these forums...........yeah that's fun.

Why are repair kits $100 gold WTH....then sell back for 20..thats just like UO.....Aholes that bought up all the resources from the NPC vendors and re-sold them back at 50x the price on their own vendor....great mechanic there...

Running back to level ups sucks.

Whats happens to the characters we are leveling now when the game goes live...we lose everything ..EVERYTHING ??.

Whats the point of the game now just play and evaluate it for you...

Ehh....Ill just wait when its developed more ...right now...not very fun for me.

Just my opinion.

Greyhaven likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

In a nutshell to test it.

It is very clear that the game is in its early development.....it hasn't even hit Beta yet. Testing isn't for everyone, my best suggestion if you don't enjoy it now and hate the idea of everything being wiped........just come back when its launched.

Keira OFaolain and Duke Raas like this.
  5. Sky_walker

Sky_walker Avatar

It's just a term devs made up to describe just how far from finished this game is, but it's an inaccurate one.
    In normal nomenclature pre-alpha is a design work. That's pictures, excel sheets, prototyping, etc. What you play now is very much an alpha version - in all meanings of that word.

6. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

My first was release 9; and, the game has come a long long way. Just to harvest a resource I had to manually equip my harvesting tool, harvest, loot, then manually re-equip my weapon. There were few places to explore and I had no clue what was going on.

At this point - if the game were a brand new car - we would have a steering wheel, nice leather driver and passenger seats, a transmission; but no engine and they still haven't decided if it going to be a hatchback or a small crossover.

We have only the vale and one town on the mainland to explore. That's it. Sounds like an afwful lot is still in the concept, prototyping, design phase to me.

I don't think people really get that this is a testing phase. This release is much harder to start than the previous releases - which had free house deeds and you started with a lot of gold. Perhaps they are testing start conditions.

BTW if you want a good free sword, sneak into Obsidian Keep...left at first, under the bridge, follow the path, swim across the water... Run past 2 skeleton archers into the door and a quick right u turn up along the castle wall to the back. Free spears, cutlass(best damage of weapon there) etc.. I was able to get this at level 5. I don't repair my swords..I go get new ones.

Play to explore and have fun - don't play to win. It's practice, testing, and development only at this stage.

remember. There are no winners.

Lyran likes this.
  7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I was thinking press M to open a blank World map, and if you didn't have a map for that area, the game would tell you to see the map maker in town. Then you purchase a map of the area and when you dbl click it, it's added to your World map, and takes it out of your inventory item count. Freeing those slots for other things. As you adventure around your World map will grow as you go...

This would be a substitute "fog of war"... and show you areas you need to explore, POIs things like that...

corky likes this.
  8. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

There are hotkeys for your paper doll and spell book and journal etc etc. Why not the above as well?

9. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

Sooner or later everyone I knew who played UO installed UOAM.
    Makes me wonder why an UOAM-like map is not in the game in the first place.

10. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

As well as pressing "M" To bring up the map of the scene your in, There should be a Map Book where you put all these map scrolls into, like the recipe book. You have to fill it yourself but it doesn't have to be cumbersome. The way you build it is either buy it from a map dealer somewhere, or go there & run around which removes the fog of war on the map. Just like learning a recipe, by doing

This

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.