Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I feel a bit lost....

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Oyjord Hansen, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Hi all,

I'm an OB ("Original Backer" ;) ), but I haven't played in many, many months.

I just logged in, rolled a character, did the mini-tutorial (I like it!), but then felt completely lost in Braemer! I'm old, I have tons of experience playing all the Ultimas, and I know this game isn't a themepark. But, having said that, I felt a bit..."what do I do now?"

I left Braemer, found the nearest cave, first mob wiped me hard. Rezzed, found the nearest forest, first spider wiped me hard. Hmmm.....

I do NOT want my hand held in SotA, no doubt, but I do feel I could use a tad more direction.

Thanks!
    Oy.

JazIronfist, Duke Olahorand and Lordy like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Talk to every NPC you can. Name, Job, Health, Help, News, Rumors, etc. You journal will be filled with tons of things to do. Have you tried the Grand Tour quest yet?

3. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

I'm the opposite of you holylegu. I spoke with a bunch of NPCs and my journal is full of stuff. I don't even know where to BEGIN to start doing things lol.

4. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Avatar

Yeah, the protector who greets you in Braemar gives suggestions of who to talk to first, and how to ask for quests and stuff

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I understand where you are coming from , you can always zone to me when I'm on and I will help to get you started. :)

6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

WoW, I don't get it... I don't mean to sound nasty or anything, but here's the Instructions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub

Maybe reading them will help...

Did you kill a lot of skeletons at "the Battle of Solice Bridge"? that was the starting area, they are way easy there... Did you strip all the gold off all the dead human corpses? I made like 500 gold doing that (a couple of times)... Did you look in your pack to see if anything was useful to you? I found a iron round shield on the ground, and swap out the wooden shield they gave me... I had a crummy sword too...

When you were in Braemer did you find all the weapons? there's a building I found all sorts of weapons inside... If you kill something take everything and sell it all, if you can... if you get 0 gold for it, at least its out of your pack... the areas around Braemar are the easy areas or goto Kingsport, the inn keeper in Braemar sends you there, stay on the road, its safer... going cross country pulls you into battles at random, run and find a safe place to recoop, then take them on 1 on 1... get them to come after you, like any other game, play smart, use stradegy... gain levels... upgrade your armor/weapon, keep things repaired... get gold, sell what you don't need... it's really not all that hard...

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Most of the Braemar quests also give XP nowadays, so you could even level up once if you finish enough.

Regarding going into the wilderness / regardless of skill you need to armour up. For the first levels it doesn't matter what you are going for (mage/archer/melee/whatever) you need that armour to survive...

8. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Thanks for the great tips, all.

I talked to everyone in 3 or 4 cities, and now have leads on a lot of quests.

It's the gearing up I need to figure out. I get me arse handed to me pretty quickly. I found some gear in the Clink which is helping, though. I guess I need to find some easy mob spawn to farm gold and loot.

Can I go back to the tutorial (that's the "Battle Solace Bridge," right)? I just did as told and didn't linger. Apparently there's loot/mobs to farm there that I should.

Thanks again,
    Oy.

9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Buy augmented plate armor in Owl's Head and you will be able to fight just fine. Once you gain levels you can switch to another set of armor/skill if you desire.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hoylegu, respec your character from the skill trainer and create a custom deck. Mages are not a good spec in this game unless someone has good ideas on that. My character is living wonderfully, well most of the time. I locked heal on one slot and flame arrow on another and then so far at level, hmmm i forgot what level I am. I have put on mostly plate stuff, 2 handed axe, bludgeon tree I love, went to the bottom of the focus tree to get the lessens fizzle focus thing, got lock 2 for hotbar focus choice, no consumables, just heal a bit here and there, not too many points in heal, you just need a bit. I love putting points in tactic healthy, I think I have 6 or 8. Anyway, just just have to find a way that lets your character live, no pure anything, just hybrid away. We are survivors lol doing testing anyway we can. If you need help on respec'ing also please ask since it takes a minute to get the hang of it.;)

oops edited to make more sense;)

11. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

me i killed wolfs then large wolfs then kobolds in west ravenswood got a plate chest piece in the cave bear by sneaking past them helps when i got about 1000 gold whent to the other camp site not the kobold one from the owls head portal and bought a suit of plate armor then the next day found out about the augmented plate in the owls head shop oh well it's only gold and armor thats going to go poof anyway:)

12. Wonderboy2402

Wonderboy2402 Avatar

There are places you can snatch weapons off tables and turn around to sell. That is how i bought my equipment last release.

13. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I saved some cash and bought a few plate pieces... i don't die all the time now :)

majoria70 likes this.
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Not really a viable solution in R12, since all decorations now have "0" resale value. ;)

15. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Two further tips; weapons and armour with 0 durability effectively aren't there, make sure you don't have red icons on the right of the screen when fighting! And also when you first start out, don't go toe-to-toe like a typical MMO fight; dodge around so you're not in contact except on your own weapon swing. Fights will become easier as you level up, but even the basic mobs will tear you a new one if you stand there and swap blows. I also found I was much more powerful using the random card combat, as my mana was so much higher I could use the specials more often.

16. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I think this is rather silly, Everything should be worth something, I have a inventory full of unsalable junk

majoria70 likes this.
  17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, there has to be a counter-balance in place otherwise it is simply considered an exploit.

Now : If the guards stalked and attacked you whenever you stole some of scenery, I would have no problem with it having resale value. Especially if you could only sell stolen goods to a crooked merchant or underworld dealer. :)

Miganarchine likes this.
  18. Eldyth

Eldyth Avatar

Had similiar problem, havent played since release 9 or 10. But at the moment im having huge problems even fighting a large wolf, and i can't even find anything smaller then that to kill. Went back to Solace Bridge but there's only Timber and Large Wolves around the entrance. Am i missing something? Not enough money to buy plate armor, currently got some fire spells, a heal and a blade skill.

19. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

What I usually do is head to Owl's Nest (East of Owl's Head) - if you look around carefully in the Bandit Hideout, there's a plate armour and some other nice stuff to get you started out!

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.