Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R12 Mastering the Glyph System and Defeating Challenge Dungeon Solo

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Sunswords, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

How about mouse gestures? Been using synapse 2.0 for the mouse hotzones, and a lot of real estate is unused, while hover zones arw quite frequent in center zone.

2. shep

shep Avatar

BS, end of story.

Have run Chilly many many many times.

/stuck messes up the targeting .
    People need to start explaining what game flaws they choose to use. As when the game comes out, they will be exploits.

No way you can survive the lich room with them all targeting you at once.

Have completed it with as few as 5 people.
    You can get to the lich room solo or with two people pretty easy.
    Still, 17,800 gold split 5 ways is still nice.

3. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

I've not tried mouse gestures before, but that would be very interesting - though I think it would add another layer of complexity on the existing system and might not be mainstream enough :)

My offer still stands that I can personally take you through the Challenge Dungeon and show you how it's done ;) I'll make a video recording of it too, so we can put any speculations to rest.

Here's another picture for the benefit of others:

[​IMG]
    Make a neat pile of bones and rags!

I've posted in the thread my tactic for dealing with the Lich Lords - you can effectively duo / trio them using this skill build and by kiting them into a corner. More important is not the issue of completing Challenge Dungeon - it's the issue of the deck system that needed to be discussed and that is exactly why this thread exists.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm not sure why this is better. If a player at a lower level wants to spend skill points to have more slots they can do so with the minimum deck size for that level. If you force the minimum deck size to increase with more slots, then the lowere level guy (who has less skill points) would still be able to buy extra slots but instead of helping him they hurt him because having 9 slots at level 10 under this type of system would require the level 10 guy (who doesn't have as much skill points) to have an increased minimum deck size. Therefore we would be forced not to upgrade to nine slots until our characters are around the same level the deck size reaches a minimum of 25 anyway.

It seems to me that level based deck size increases make more sense, and allow us players more freedom when choosing our skills. Does that make sense?

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Have you tried death field? specifically stacking death field to level 5?

Thinking of it from the perspective that a guy can walk through the liches and cast death field damaging them all at once and getting hitpoints from them all at once ... makes me think it is possible.

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Remember earlier about what I said about death magic is a must and you said "no this system works without it"? I too am eager to see the video of you completing this without death magic.

Maybe in later releases pure mages will have a different way of approaching combat. I wouldn't want to see death magic nerfed... if anything mages need some kind of boost. Maybe the DEL key autostack will help. :)

EDIT: This isn't a harsh criticism of Sunsword's system. I'm making this statment to point out the "needs improvment tweaks" of the magic users in sota. *of course the devs already know it needs improvment and where the heck will they find time in their busy schedule to do it***

Since the devs have such little time to waste I think it is really important that we help them narrow down the scope of their work by giving them specific criticisms and very specific feedback as a solution to resolve it.

7. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Sure thing, sorry but I'll be away for 2 weeks as of Tuesday, so it might have to wait till 15th Dec, but I'll keep my promise and get you that video ;)

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah maybe by then they will upgrade the arcane might of the pure mage too. ;)

9. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I have totally re-tooled and tried this build and it is very impressive and I want to thank Sunsword for sharing it. I'll need to invest in repair kits and I find myself staring at my toolbar more than I'd like but it is very effective in PvE.

Like having another option :)

Isaiah [MGT] and Sunswords like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

No offense Sunswords! Your system works great for what we are working with now.

I edited my feedback in my last post to reflect why I'm nitpicking. Hopefully it sparks some good solution in the minds of the devs and also the rest of us because making it better while saving the devs time too is good.

Sunswords likes this.
  11. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

So anyway, just as a post note for Magic Users (Bear Tavern Brawl going on right now) - this build barely works in PvP the moment your opponent catches up to you. Apparently there are resistance modifiers on Plate Armour that seem to weaken magic damage, so you won't be able to catch up in time no matter what.

This might work very well with Archer builds though!

Isaiah [MGT] and smack like this.
  12. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Just a quick update here: I just landed less than 2 days ago - Unfortunately, work commitment has me flying off again tonight, so I probably won't be able to get enough time to Challenge Dungeon using the Fire/Life deck before the wipe for R13. However, I'm glad that I did have enough time to run down to the Lich horde in Deep Ravensmoor to do a simulation of how it should work (I tackled 2 Lich Fighters at once (and I think also 1 Lich Mage from above - didn't see it till later), which is about the maximum you can do with this build).

In this 10 minute video you will see:
    1. My equipment and skill trees
    2. How to arrange and stack your glyphs
    3. How to transfer from one stack of skills to another while in combat
    4. and How to keep your Deck refreshed

There's a huge amount of micro managing involved, and if you notice at points I seem to be circling at random - that's simply because I have no more attention bandwidth to make proper tactical movements :eek: (I was trying to keep the Lich Fighters off me while healing and refreshing defence).

Strangely the time stamp of SotA on video is dated 12 Dec 2014, but it was just taken today (18 Dec 2014).

@Isaiah [MGT]

Tahru and smack like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh it says the video is unavailable Sunswords. Is that happening to everyone or just me?

14. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Whoops sorry! My upload got cut, I'm re-uploading now, please check back in 30 minutes :p

My internet is being silly right now!

Edit: might take longer than that I regret, I'll ping you when it's ready :oops:

majoria70 likes this.
  15. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

@majoria70

The video is finally uploaded!

Aside to that, everyone please feel free to ask me any questions :)

smack likes this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

Excellent! Mind Lock is a wonderful thing once you get your hot bar set up. But damn that tooltip is so annoying.

Even though it gives us better hot bar management, we still spend 95% of our time staring at it vs. the on-screen action. Still so many usability issues to solve...

Sunswords likes this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Nice work! You should consider a voice over.

18. CanOpener

CanOpener Avatar

why are you using your mouse? instead of putting your right hand on the ten key and pressing R then the numbers to stack?

(if you map them to the ten key of course)

19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

What is this "ten key" you speak of? 0?

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Personally combat is too fast pace for me to find the number keys useful yet. If they work for you great, but for me that is far too stressful to make sure I know which numbers to pick. This system is way too stressful as it is.

They need more simplification, trying to make sure i want to combine #4 and #6 and #7 out of 9 slots is really fricken stressful while I'm trying to keep mobile. It may be slower but I find using the mouse doesn't require me to know the number of the slots I'm trying to pick. I wish I could use the number keys but it isn't ergonomic because one hand is on wasd and the other is on tje mouse, and it is more stressful.

So tell me do you really use the number keys? And if so are you some awesome hard-core devastating avatar in combat? I'm sure anybody can use the number keys just fine if all they do is stand next to an opponent and use both hands on the number keys. I mention this because I haven't seen there being any advantage to using the number keys to just using the mouse. So if you know a trick please share it.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.