My NaNoWriMo 2014 attempt

Discussion in 'The Library' started by languard, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. languard

languard Avatar

Pants. 100% Pants ALL THEY WAY \m/ (we really need the head-banging smiley emote!) While this does get in trouble on occasion, it's just how my mind works. I daydream and tell the story in my head during the day, exploring different themes and directions before I sit down at night to write it out. Had to take a break yesterday because I needed to make some decisions on direction. I do have an idea now on how the story ends, though I haven't written it yet.

2. Holt

Holt Avatar

If you have really, really strong characters, you can forget to put on your pants in the morning and still pants for days.

But me, I put twists in my stories so plotting does become necessary despite the characters. No big deal, its really just a matter of the timing at which you present key information, and where you throw your red herrings up.

3. LadyGray

LadyGray Avatar

AAAGGGHHHH...Nothing like having full blown revelation about how your first book and its sequel tie themselves together with a nice bow when you're not even expecting it!! :confused: This is what happens when you go looking for a description and find the key that you never noticed you actually wrote!!!!

languard and Moonshadow like this.
  4. Holt

Holt Avatar

The muse finds us at work!

LadyGray likes this.
  5. languard

languard Avatar

Heh, strange how that can work out sometimes.

My story is focusing on the events of the Shardfall itself, and I did a little researching into astronomy to give some extra weight to the event.

Imagine, if you will, the horror it must have induced to watch two moons collide in complete silence. There would be no sound from this event. Also consider the time it takes for things to travel between our moon and Earth. Some probes can make it in 8 hours, some have taken over a year. So everyone watches this horrific event happen, get's to stare in unease and horror at the mess in the night sky for a day or two, and then the Shardfall happens. And keeps happening. For over a year.

Kinda explains why everyone went underground.

13544 words so far.

6. languard

languard Avatar

Weeeel, I've got a bad news/good news situation going here. The good news is that I was selected as one of the 1000 finalists in Intel's RealSense App challenge, which means I'll be getting a RealSense camera to use to develop a game that uses physical hand gestures to cast spells.

Bad news is this means I have to finish my story in a week, which is roughly when I'll get the camera. Project needs to be finished by Feb. 13th, and I have a lot of design work to do.

Oh, and only 17k words right now. It's doable...kinda. Not looking good though :p

7. Holt

Holt Avatar

I say just keep trying, and when you get your RealSemse, write 500 words a day (even if its not november anymore). It's just worth beign in the habit, and the habit is sort of what NanoWriMo is about :)

Moonshadow likes this.
  8. languard

languard Avatar

Well, as I predicted I did not finish. I've been scrambling like mad trying to get design stuff done, finding out my computer couldn't handle the camera *grumble grumble*, and other stuff. Still not going to abandon the story, but it's definitely on the sideline for the moment.

How did everyone else's NaNoWriMo go?

9. LadyGray

LadyGray Avatar

Mine stalled horrendously but unfortunately, as I discussed with Holt, part of it is due to brain drain from work. I had to abandon trying to type the story as I went and went old school. I have about 3 chapters waiting to be typed up in a notebook.

Moonshadow likes this.
  10. grnarrow

grnarrow Avatar

I hit a wall at 24k words and couldn't figure out where I wanted the story to go, so I put it on hold. I hope to pick it up again some day.

11. Holt

Holt Avatar

I'm sitting at 45k. This is at least an 80k - 100k book, so it looks like I will just keep pluggin' away when I can!

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.