1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Player Property Inactivity Timer starting Wed Dec 10

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Boomer we are very sorry you feel that you have received misinformation. What exactly do you feel misinformed about? What specific misinformation do you believe is out there? We would love to understand so that we can strive to improve our communication.

As stated in other threads we apologize for anyone who was upset by some gold that was handed out. I personally got in the game as much as I could right after that incident and handed out gold to as many guild leaders as I could connect with. I also provided potions, gold and other items to guilds that were helping out new players starting the game. All of it was with the intent of getting better information and a better experience for as many players as possible (network effect). Of course it is a manual process and it is not perfect so I am sure there are folks like yourself who did not benefit and for that we are truly sorry.

The next point is usually "why not just give everyone a ton of gold"? Because if we did then we won't get any data on leveling speed or the relative price of items versus time spent playing or countless other data points.

For now we continue to ask for patience until pledge rewards come online (which will include a full wipe). At that point everyone will get exactly what they pledged for (providing those items are actually in the game).

2. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Looks, tastes and feels like the old UO {team}. Good thing I stepped into it.

3. DarkStarr

As stated in the post logging in OR moving something resets the timer. There is no requirement to do both. Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure what the second question was intended to be. When pledge rewards come online there will be a full wipe so the example you will give will hopefully be impossible (barring any bugs).

Do understand however that there are not nearly enough lots in the game yet for everyone to get a lot, much less the biggest lot that comes with their pledge. It will not be until very close to launch when all maps are built that we can fulfill that.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As you can imagine there is a lot of conversation on the forums about this. The addition of Player Owned Towns has a lot of people believing that there will be plenty of housing available at launch despite the finite reality.

Do you guys have an estimate on the number of player houses that you believe will be in the game at launch?

James T. Cook, Net and Lord Lonn like this.
  5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

say it with me...PRE-ALPHA....ahh...yess....there we go.....

6. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Grrr, I so much want to bop boomer over the head.
    boomer, I started the game with nothing, received no handouts, competed with everyone else in the outlying areas for animals and skeletons to kill, worked my way through quests and ya know what? I was able to get a village plot right where I wanted it. Not sure if you want to penalize players who have a little bit more time than you do to test the game system, that is the impression I get from what you are saying.
    As for misinformation, this is a pre-alpha testing stage. Just roll with what you have when you start and try to break the game. It is the job (yes, job!) we have been tasked with for early access. If you can't handle the ever changing environment then just be patient and wait for the regular release (you know, when a game is finally out of beta) which we all hope will be mid 2015.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

"bop" lol. I had tons of fun grinding for my stuff, and the feeling was great, then there I was reaping the rewards of my achievements.

I do know the game won't be a grindfest, it has to be done this way, and we'll have so much more wonderful stuff to do once we are developed. ;)

@Boomer I would help you anytime, no need to feel bad. :)

Thanks for the warning Darkstarr. We have to have wipes, and that will not stop me from doing the testing over and over. If I am not
    testing why am I talking, sheesh. ;)

I found this quote so warning, warning. "A smart person talks from experience, a smarter person from experience does not talk" This quote keeps me testing and honest;)

8. Archaon [OWL]

Archaon [OWL] Avatar

Thanks DarkStarr, you guys are doing a great job!

Arianna, majoria70 and Moonshadow like this.
  9. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

@Darkstarr
    not sure if this has been hit on, but will there be a way for observers to see how far a house has gone by without having a home owner or a permission person go in and do the required duty. Like will the Home start to appear more like grown grass and dirty windows and the like...
    2nd are there going to be any new style homes coming out? new styles or have we seen the end until the launch.
    *not a complaint*
    It has always been the temptations that boost the pledges heh

10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

By the way.

For you new ones.

One of the wonderful benefits of pledging a Lot is "tax free" and the higher your pledge the longer it has no decay.

I would recommend to ad this very great benefit of a pledged lot to the Main Page and to all Pledge Information with "flashing lights":

Is there an upkeep cost to Lots?

Lots have an in game currency tax that must be paid monthly or the lot reverts to being for sale and the Lot Deed is returned to the owner. Backers at Ancestor level and above receive a tax exempt Lot Deed but the lot can still revert after an extended amount of inactivity (4 months at Ancestor level, 5 months at Citizen level, and an additional month per level after that).

Currently it is hidding in FAQ. Bad place for such an important purchase motivator.
    It is a huuuge motivatar. ( incase i forgot to say it grin)

For me the greatest benefit of a pledged house is not having to log in for half a year or even more to avoid decay.

Go on vacation, sleep good. Make a tour around the world and back home you log in and your house is still on the lot.
    No pressure to ask someone to pay the tax for you.

Again: Not mentioning a awesome benefit like this is bad. Did i say that?. :)

Why am i posting this here. Because this is the first time the word "Decay" shows up. Many may not be aware that ad on store lots and ingame lots require you to pay the tax to keep your lot.

To avoid this you still have now the opportunity to pledge a lot and avoid this hassle, or reduce it. :)

Did i say how awesome it is to pledge a Lot? to be free of tax pressure?. :)

If the information is already out there. Please apologize.

But hidding such a great benefit in FAQ is sad.
    Ad the months to the pledge information.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Time Lord, StarLord, Beli and 8 others like this.
  11. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

A big shiny medal to the Port staff for their saint-like patience!

12. Dzanian

Dzanian Avatar

hi there,

from my understanding:
    if u r the owner of a lot, it is sufficent to login for one time during the next 7 days and all your lot timer will be start again with day 0 (counting to 7)
    if u r not able to log in during the next 7 day, just make sure that one of the thrusteeees (who r having permission for you lot(s)) are moving at least one item at your lot(s) to "refresh" this one

13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Pixel jealousy is the Road to Perdition.

14. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Don't be jealous of what your neighbor has, just buy more than him & you won't have that problem

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Eventually, there will be one final wipe, and then we'll get to choose our pledged plots.
    I'll get one then.

16. DarkStarr

That is exactly correct.

17. DarkStarr

I really like the visual indicator for decay but as others have said it might lead to lot camping. Still a really cool idea which we will add to our wishlist for Episode 1 (while being mindful of the camping risk)

We may create more houses but for now the focus is on non-home environment art for dungeons, cities, adventure areas, etc.

18. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

And I hoped so much for a wipe. I should now stop giving away my stuff so I have enough to make a new maze and start the negotations for a bigger lot with the recent owners *sigh*

19. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

You have to admit it is a good thing when people are lulled into a sense that this is more of a release than a prealpha testing version. So time to follow the chant above

prealpha... prealpha...

Charli.J and Mark Johnson like this.
  20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Lots right now are still temporary and the game is in pre-alpha. Even if there isn't a wipe for R13, there will be more wipes in the future. We're basically just testing now. People will have their pledge rewards and appropriate access to permanent lots in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.