Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

With every release I despise player housing more and more

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sorry for sounding harsh but this isn't funny anymore.
    If this is the way player houses will look like in the final version I will definitely stay away from any online mode... This kills the atmosphere and immersion as well the personality of the cities.
    It impacts my play experience in a very negative way, it's not fun walking through cities anymore.

[​IMG]

2. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon, my home is ugly isn't it? Welcome to the, currently, HOA-free town of Owl's Head. Have an ale, on me.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think a little clarification may be in order here. It's not player housing you despise.. it's what players are doing with it.

This actually reminds me a lot of UO. On the one hand a lot of people had very beautifully decorated homes.. while others had all sorts of immersion breaking decorations that just made you wonder "why??"

A lot of this could be mitigated with taking more refined stacking rules.. and increased rarity of items.. but I suppose it's a fine line between how much freedom you need to give players and how many rules you need to have to keep them from going nuts with stuff.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Of course I admire your creativity but the house simply doesn't fit into the style of the city. It's not just your house, I saw many more that looked similar "creative".

There should definitely be some rules for player houses in NPC towns...

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As one interested in design and development, I have no desire to stifle player creativity.. but as a player.. too much is too much as well.

I would like to see certain stacking rules such as:

not being able to stack above a certain height from the ground or floor.
    Certain items can't be placed on top (it would be much harder to properly simulate proper support and balance with the current system)
    Certain items can't have anything on top.. and/or can only have small objects

Ideally if they could calculate support, weight and balance that would be sweet but I really doubt the stacking system is set up like that. Implementing such things is likely beyond the scope of EP1

Right now I think it's simply set up with a single flag.. either it stacks or it doesn't.

6. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

+1 @Bowen Bloodgood.

On that note, for anyone wondering about 'why' I did this, it was simply a means to get to the roof, to continue testing a bug where it was possible to stack items through the ceiling. I left the hideous monstrosity there because I'm lazy, and the floating chessboard up there can be used to jump to the roof of the NPC building near the skills trainer, which makes for a rather fun obstacle course.

But in all seriousness, @Lord_Darkmoon, I agree with you about it being immersion breaking, but I don't live in an HOA neighborhood in real-life, and I likely will not live in one in the game. That being said, in addition to Bowen's ideas, I think some NPC towns could/should have decoration style requirements, just not all NPC towns.

Jatvardur, Time Lord and Sebastion like this.
  7. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Yes, this please. I would love to see this problem solved with some real world gravitational and kinetic energy physics simulation. What ever happened to those pine cones we used to kick around in R6 or R7? I wonder if the dev team gave up on trying to synchronize the 'randomness' across the clients, or if they just put the feature on the backburner.

Time Lord and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  8. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I need to have a discussion with the Bear tavern about rules at Berans reach, I really don't want to see this in that place, but if the majority want free reign then I guess I'll have to go with it. I am with darkmoon on this.

Time Lord, Budner and Leos like this.
  9. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

I imagine it would take a little coding but I could see an option of clicking on a sign board of a house and "Muting" it. It would still be there in all its ugly glory but would be invisible to you.

10. Galder

Galder Avatar

I think it is good that people are free to do whatever they like with >their< houses. Just my 2c...

11. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

If only the house owners could see their 'creativity' this would be no problem ;) But what is with the freedom of my eyes ? o_O

During pre alpha all this stacks might be good for load testing. But in release ... due to my homepage I'm in contact with many fans of the Ultima series (not UO) and I try my best to espouse SotA. Many of them don't like these stacks and prevents them from buying the game. This isn't an assumption, this is a fact!

Maybe to restrict stacking in NPC towns and giving the owner of a PoT the capability to allow stacking under his/her rules could be a good compromise for everyone :)

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Any town owner already has the power to set whatever rules they like by power of the big toe.. as it where. They can always kick anyone off their lot if it came down to it.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe introducing a physics system could help ;)
    Gravity would do wonders :)

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Hehehe i was wondering how long it would take to see a post like this.
    I agree with you. Mostly. On the other hand you can find wonderful creations as well.
    I guess your best solution (if we assume housing will stay like that) is to pick a POT with strict rules about housing.
    I am thinking about such rules for my POT for example.
    I want my City to actually look like a City and not like the dream of a drugged architect ;-)

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

16. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I wish you could do this with player owned towns.

Who wants 80+ COMPLETELY EMPTY towns with nothing but player houses in them?
    I don't even want them populating my world map, tbh.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This was discussed also awhile back...it could potentially get very ugly on the world map.

18. stile

stile Avatar

Its been officially stated there will be some rules. I believe it was by Chris Spears.

However that wont happen yet because the type of stuff in your example, helps for testing the builds, determine what they will need to consider in terms of rules, and when making the game is not the time to police rules that dont interfere with the tests.

Its good to share these things so they can consider them, but its to early to think that this will be the way the game is

Sophi, Jatvardur, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  19. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

It already is. Look at how small the vale is. More than half of the town locations are player-owned already.
    Not a good sign.

20. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

We do need gravity. Not only as a restricting element to avoid certain constructions, but also to set boundaries to furniture! It seems they figured out how to break free, and now they roam the skies with who knows what purpose! This is a capture of owl's head sky, none of those items is above a player lot. They just fly by themselves!
    [​IMG]

notice the Oracle head in the bottom left side of the screenshot. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! (I blame parallelogram for teaching things how to fly)

Besides the joke, i just wanted to say that stacking restriction should be implemented with care. I agree a line must be draw, but it needs to allow "consistent building", so it doesn't prevent players to make other wonderful constructions like 4B mazes, or that home in Owl's head built only using furniture as stairs and columns and chess boards and Wooden walls as floors and walls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.