My thoughts on SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ventus Caelum, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ventus Caelum

Ventus Caelum Avatar

I have been a big fan of Ultima series for 17 years. Ultima Online was the greatest part of my years in gaming and I am so pleased to see Lord British creating a new installment in the series. I'm not going to go into much detail here, these are my opinions and everyone is entitled. Some of these opinions are a comparison to the greatest MMO that ever lived, Ultima Online, so may be a little biased.

Not open world/zoning. When I play a online game, especially a RPG, I want to be apart of a living world. I don't get that with SotA. I feel like I'm playing a single player game with the option to invite friends to play with me, much like LAN or a 2 player game.

Crafting. I love it. Harvesting. OMGOSH NO

Building plots. No. Just no. I want to be able to have my house way up on a hill where the sun shines in my windows and I can see the ocean from my balcony.

Combat. Decking. Nothing wrong with combat really. But the deck crap, well it's crap.

Pvp. What pvp? No danger of other players. Lost interest at that.

Graphics are outdated but I'm not complaining about this. The way the graphics are right now is great for a crowd funded game and I know it will be polished in the future but...most indie games with the smallest budget have as good or better graphics than some triple A games. The dynamic lighting is pretty good though especially when you look off into the distance of the mountains or forests.

Everything else that I have experienced while testing SotA since R2 was great and enjoyed it and most of all the people (some old friends) are the best part of my experience. I'm not saying SotA isn't a great game. Some people enjoy the unique style of games like it. I have been looking for a game like UO, not a clone but something that gave me the feeling that I was living in a real world where there are no rules, I'm not told where to go, risking my life to gather supplies for myself and others and so forth. SotA doesn't deliver, not even close to what UO, in it's short time was able to. I won't be playing SotA sadly. I want to say good luck Lord British and to the rest of the development team and thank you for all the great years you have given me with Ultima.

Stahlknecht, Drystone, Yosh and 5 others like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Way too early to jump ship. Way way too early.

3. Ventus Caelum

Ventus Caelum Avatar

I'm not trying to say the design of SotA is wrong. It's just far from what I like. It seems like a lot of the things I dislike are already set in stone. I'm tired, I've been awake all night coding and didn't really get say much of what I felt I needed to say. Much of what I feel or think can be seen in this thread.

Joviex likes this.
  4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

There's what, 7-10 towns now? There will be closer to 200 in ep1. Getting that house on a hill is a very real possibility.
    You are thinking 5% - 10% of what will be by ep5. & you could be a part of it from the beginning.

5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

You've chosen...poorly...

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

That's exactly what this game is.

I think it's perfectly fine to decide something isn't what you want.
    I will never understand people that feel the need to tell other people what they should like or not like.

You've had a fair look around, and that's all anybody can ask.

Tedds, Barael, Lord Stein and 7 others like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It's not a fair look. That's like looking at a house and saying, yep I couldn't live here, only the architect is still drafting the plans. The cement isn't even finished being poured for the foundation. At least let it dry first.

Logain, licemeat and Tahru like this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

+1 this

I think this everytime someone sends out a goodbye broadcast email in a company of thousands of employees.

Joviex likes this.
  9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The more single player elements the better :)

gtesser, smack, Fox Cunning and 3 others like this.
  10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK but aren't you a person telling other people that they shouldn't like people telling other people what they should like or not like?

Just saying. :p

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  11. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Nope! Actually, all I am saying is that I will never understand those people.

Joviex and Sir Cabirus like this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I agree with you completely, I'm just being a jackass.

13. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

If I would of done what I thought every time,
    I would of quit 20 times,
    I would of pledged 20 more times. I guess that means I would still be where I am now.

Xandra7 likes this.
  14. Arlo Serpenthelm

Arlo Serpenthelm Avatar

Have to agree on this. For a game that states it is a "spiritual successor to UO" it feels nothing like it. Except for the excellent community, which is the main reason I am going to give this game a real good, long, and patient try.

But good luck to you, wherever your path leads!

smack, Caliya, Joviex and 1 other person like this.
  15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

You got some documentation for that number? Given the actual towns on the map, there are around 55. Even with doubling that number it falls way short of 200.

And by EP1? Maybe by Ep2 or closer to Ep3.

smack and Caliya like this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Might I ask where you get this 200 number?

I said about a year ago, they would need at least 200 towns just to house every one of the original 26,000 backers.

House on a hill overlooking the ocean? Fat chance.

Only reason I stick around is community. There's no community like the UO community.

17. Lord Stein

Lord Stein Avatar

UO took at least a few years to develop into a great game. Giving up now is lame. It's pre-Alpha..and we haven't even seen Novia yet. This game has huge potential..and I think will far surpass UO. Rome wasn't built in a day..
    It may take 2 more years
    or at least to episode 3
    for this game to really shine. Ive played UO for over 15 years, and it wasn't polished up for at least 3-4 years. There was lots of changes/fixes/reverts early on. That's what there trying to do now by letting us play
    pre-alpha., get the crap fixed, and pay attention to what players want, and make a game or virtual world that people will enjoy for decades. I'm all in!!!

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Except that they have said there are some things that won't change, like the combat system. They might tweak it, but the deck is here to stay as far as I heard anyway.

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

As a wise man said "Never say never!" All edicts are temporary, easily influenced by the passage of time.

Zandaro likes this.
  20. Zandaro

Zandaro Avatar

Try playing with a locked deck if you hate the random deck..it works fine. And I think there WILL be many combat system changes moving forward....

Barael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.