The City of Penshire

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

This sounds like a lot of fun.

mbomber and Drocis Fondorlatos like this.
  2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Agreed, at least I hope so.

Sure, sure. Many POT owners make similar claims, but how can a resident know for sure? o_O What if they didn't break the rules but you booted them for the lolz?

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree. Which is why I support the developers adding secure contracts that give more stability through in-game mechanics. I can't change the way the game is coded however.

Most town owners don't agree with me though. They want total control and can't see the side of the individual the same way that I can. So although this is still going to come down to "who do you believe?", I would suggest that if your town owner doesn't believe individuals should have rights, you may not want to live in that town.

I have a long forum history of debating FOR individual rights and I think it's clear that if the game mechanics were there to support this, I'd use them in the City of Penshire.

mbomber likes this.
  4. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I agree that it is tricky. The Slum post is a case in point. I don't know if anyone lost money there (I hope not), but it isn't something I'd throw money at until I knew more about the leader. I recall that the leader was a fairly new poster. In your favour, you certainly have a lot of posts and a fairly public 'profile' on the forums. I think that goes a long way, although I disagree with many of the details you post. ;)

5. Drocis the Devious

Thank you. I appreciate that people have different opinions.

Regarding SLUM, I liked that idea and at the time I found myself thinking that it had a lot of promise if implemented correctly (you can see evidence of this by my comments in the original forum thread). The City of Penshire has adapted some of the SLUM ideals. For example, I believe it will be one of the toughest places to live. But that will hold a great benefit as a badge of honor for its citizens.

One thing I have not done is attempted to sell lots for real money or asked people to commit during pre-launch. I'm confident that when this game launches there will be plenty of people interested in living here. I don't plan to be selective. If your gold is good, so are your references. ;)

Grayle and E n v y like this.
  6. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Slum was a PvP metro? Or aiming to be even.

There aren't many PvP towns, and most of them are small or medium sized. Hence a large PvP town is a gap in the market. Slum could have filled that. Guess this is where you can step in and fill that gap.

7. Mata

Mata Avatar

Congratulations Drocis!

Drocis Fondorlatos likes this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

So you're charging 25% higher taxes than portalarium? Interesting way to start recruiting...

To be clear: I've never seen it said anywhere that people can avoid property taxes by getting a lot in a player owned town. I have seen devs speak against this on hangouts and in person. So you're suggesting the system tax of 2000g a month and your town tax ON TOP OF THAT of 500g a month?

Just trying to understand :)

p.s. you're the only pvp town that isn't listed on the wiki... might want to get on top of that! :)

Jatvardur likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

It depends how you view it. If lots are scarce and are not available then you could easily charge more.

It also depends on location/community and how much a player values having access to a particular area. Its very difficult to do a straight forward comparison of 'tax cost' between an npc village and a pvp player village.

10. Drocis the Devious

You understand correctly. I think this will prove to be a very moderate tax when it's all said and done. I also think many player towns that THINK (or say) they will not tax, will eventually come to the realization that this is not sustainable.

When I give my word, it's important to me to keep it and not use excuses in an attempt to hide the fact that I had to break it. Instead of trying to "recruit" people, I'm simply telling people what I intend to do and how I plan to do it.

The City of Penshire is not actively taking applications right now. In part, because I don't want to have to go back on my word should the developers "surprise" us with new information. It seems like the right thing to do.

I'm aware of that. I'm not a fan of registering for websites.

Please add the following to your website:

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Smart! I am doing the same as well.

Drocis Fondorlatos and mbomber like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Does your city allow homeless residents?

13. Drocis the Devious

That is a very interesting question. It will allow subletting, so I suppose in that sense it would.

I personally have no plans for public housing construction. But if someone wanted to buy a lot (or lots) for that purpose, that would be fine.

I do imagine there will be a large contingent of homeless NPC's, also. The cause of which might have something to do with failed tax payments.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

No I mean on the streets. Can I hang around the streets and taverns and panhandle ?

15. Drocis the Devious

I don't see why not.

16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

it would be interesting to see a "lot purchase" for a panhandling spot near a tavern.. homeless tend to stake out and claim spots like that all the time, OOG. like if the town owner gives up one village lot they can get 10-20 panhandling slots in "strategic" locations. - or as preferred, a permit to panhandle anywhere in the town, as long as it is not occurring INSIDE a building.

17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

If you may, my suggetsion for your layout is that the docks areas appears to be disproportionately too big compared to the rest of the town areas.

cheers

18. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I'll be joining your town. Thanks for having a place where freedom is valued.

Drocis Fondorlatos and mbomber like this.
  19. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Another thing that was interesting about the origional slum idea was that it was going to be underground, and all houses would be the same row type houses. The guy said he was going to get two metropolises or is that metropoli? One was going to be a city above and a city below the ground.

It would be great to still have an underground town or a city with an underground city while being a PvP only zone. No protection from the oracle.

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You may want to look here ; if there is enough interest I will probably increase the size. It is also connected to a Cross-Road Village (here) that is also a PvP area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.