Lot owner self defense

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Tahru, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If someone is causing me grief on my property, I would like the option to defend my estate and those on it by force if necessary. While, there may be an option to evict people from the property, those people could just sit on the border of the lot and continue to harass with immunity. A more effective deterrent is to be able to use force to defend your home, like you can in real life. I would propose it works like this:

1. The owner or trusted lot member can engage in PVP at anytime with anyone on the lot, even in a non PvP zone and against players who are not flagged for PvP.
    2. Engaging in PvP on the lot, will flag both players for PvP temporarily.
    3. The PvP flag will persist for 5 minutes even if the players leave the lot.

2. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

two question if they are kicked off your property and neither of you are flagged for pvp how can they harrasse you when u can click the ignore button then he would just be standing outside your property.?

second this seems like it would be a great way to grief stupid people. trick them on your property and then gank them.

Caliya, Keira OFaolain and Tahru like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Absolutely agree 100% ........

If you go on a property that you are not 'friended'; you will become flagged for 'duel' based combat should the owner of the property choose to attack. You will not be able to attack first unless you are in a PvP zone. The cool-down timer will only start once you are outside the property.

4. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

now that i could agree with i still think the ability to griff would still be their but under dual status if a person dies is their a kill reward/loot reward?

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

They can just sit on the border an message all they like. If you are trying to have fun with friends and family it would be more than a little irritating. Moreover, because you evicted them, they would be super motivated to do so.

On the second part, your are right, but the same is true in RL today. If you go on someone's lot, you should have a reason to be there. Brings back rock salt memories ;)

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Sounds good to me.....

[​IMG]

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Yes as per whatever standard loot option is in the game.

Keira OFaolain and Tahru like this.
  8. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Don't turn SotA into Florida please....

Caliya likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Shroud doesn't have guns. If it did only the stupid people would have them.........I will stick with my fireball.

Montaigne and DizzySol like this.
  10. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

unfortunitly as much as i like the sytem on hand and dislike it on the other hand

i do belive this will not come to terms due to the current status of the game with no forced pvp that pvp is strictly optional.

my opinon on the matter will close here due to the fact that i like it and dislike it equally. unless some ideas are placed in here that move the discussion one direction or the other i will remain silent on this matter.

the only way i see this possibility of working is if thier is a timer that stats you have 1 min to leave the property or you will get flagged for dual and if you do get flagged its only flagged by owner and no one else. in other words u cant have 10 friends thier and all turn and hit the intruder or heal the home owner.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think the fact that the owner is also flagged for PvP is enough of a deterrent to prevent abuse. If you abuse it, you are flagged and other citizens can just hop on your property and gank you.

12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

What's to prevent a whole group of people from coming and ganking the plot owner? Repeatedly, every time they're home?

You will get that if you make this a game feature.

It would be simpler to be able to ban people from your lot, and put anything they say on ignore.

Noctiflora, Solstar and mbomber like this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Walking into a PvP zone is option........Walking into someone else's house is also a choice.

I would love this to be put in the game.

swampthing and Tahru like this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not a problem if you do it this way:

I also support banning people from properties as well.

swampthing and Tahru like this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't actually see that as a problem. If you take action against someone in RL, there are always potential consequences. The owner has to choose when it is appropriate. Violence often leads to more violence, but it is also true that bad people target the defenseless.

16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Yes, and those "bad people" are the ones that will be relentless. It's what they play games with that kind of ruleset for....to grief people.

I mean, if you want to enable griefers, and that's your opinion, go for it. But personally, I don't like to enable griefers. I like to block them out any way I can.

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is stretching it quite a bit. My whole point is to discourage griefing by removing the current immunity they enjoy. While most would agree this could be blown into some political debate about guns and all that, my intention is not to partake in those kinds of arguments. I feel that if I can protect my home by force, my home will be a safer home. And since I will be RP'ing in the game, that is interesting to me. I am not a great PvP'er and frankly would end up calling in reinforcements in these cases. Anyway, lets not make a political debate about it.

There are other important RP aspects to this. There are going to be many guild's with lots and even whole towns that they will want to protect even if they are not PvP focused. I think this kind of feature would enable very effective and immersive RP opportunities.

Finally, I don't have strong feeling about this. It is just a thought.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Just a question, did you ever play UO?

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

No, I played some of the others though. Also played darkfall for a while.

mbomber likes this.
  20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

That would explain why the concept of griefers may not be apparent to you. I played UO for 10 years, from the first couple of months it was released. The early days, it was a free-for-all murder fest. People that loved to grief most are some of the same ones in the forums here, asking for open full loot PvP. There will be differing opinions on if this was a good or bad thing (the pro-crowd will jump on the anti-crowd, and vice versa, in these forums).

Many people say that the griefers ruined UO for everyone. Whether people agree with that or not, I don't care. But, it is truly the historic reason that UO split into 2 worlds: a non-PvP and PvP world. It's a bone of contention among players to this day. The amount of griefing that took place was pretty horrific to me and my kids at that time. I personally don't care to return to those days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.