Titles: just who do you think you are?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Themo Lock, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

OK before getting into it i would just like to highlight the fact that this is EASILY a topic that could turn into a huge argument so pretty please think about what other contributors to the topic are saying before assuming they are idiots and insulting them. This topic comes up off topic in other threads and people are passionate about it for more than one reason. The debate deserves its own thread so i am starting it. What i would like to cover is...

Pledge Reward Titles (Role-play perspective)
    - Should these titles be the only acknowledged titles for role-play as far as nobility goes? (Duke for example).
    - Should there be class division amongst the avatars based on these titles?
    - Are these titles fair and do the high level backers deserve them?
    - Should owners of player owned towns be acknowledged as nobility (without necessarily having a pledge title)?

Keep in mind: If everybody was claiming to be a Duke or a King regardless of their pledge level, would this not completely ruin immersion? Would a campaign for equality not be counter productive in a feudalistic backdrop? Shouldn't high end backers also be required to be active contributors to be acknowledged as nobility by the RP community? (for example: A wealthy person buys a Duke pledge to support development but uses their castled plot as a huge junkyard and spends their game time as a griefer).

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. lock426

lock426 Avatar

My two cents
    If anyone wants to role-play the titles being the social ranks go for it, but you can no more force other players to do so than you could force every player to role-play. It comes down to personal preference.Different player's Role playing narratives may exist in the same game world but they aren't necessarily consistent with each-other.

If you want to walk Britannia claiming to be the one true king (like that pretender Lord British) players are free to acknowledge you claim, ignore you, or mock you as they see fit.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

100% true, keep in mind though that SotA has a well organised and enthusiastic role-playing community that is very much a linked and ongoing storyline in itself.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'll just start by going down the list here.

1: Up to the players.
    2: Up to the players.
    3: Absolutely.. they've always been part of the pledge level. Portalarium is free to set whatever titles they like at whatever pledge level they like. What meaning they hold to players.. if any.. is up to the players.
    4: Up to the players.

In this regard, the role-play community is self regulating. As already mentioned.. if you're making claims in your RP that other players simply find unbelievable.. their RP will be that you're either insane.. or full of it. It is up to the players as to what they're willing to accept.

Why should anyone be required to be active for anyone to acknowledge their pledge titles? It is not our place to tell anyone.. high level backers or otherwise.. how they should play. If you want to tell a Duke how to use their lot than own your own town and convince them to live their.

Beyond common sense like don't violate the game's terms of use, it's simply not our place. Does anyone here want people dictating to them how often they should play, how they should play or how to use their property?

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

My OP doesn't actually reflect my opinion, i just made this thread to stop other threads getting derailed by this topic.

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

*Flashbacks to when we had forum titles*

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Some want those, others really do not XD

8. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I think pledge titles should be purely social, the more important thing is what people achieve inside the game, while playing the game. And even those earned titles (say "Farmer Joe Brown" for example) should remain on a purely social level, and NPCs shouldn't see you as a different person for having it.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Never said it did. :) You simply asked questions. I simply gave my answers.

10. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

...or if one killed 100 bears, the title of "the bear slayer" could be granted etc... something similar as lotro does.
    I like the idea of earning and achieving titles much more than the idea of using the (bought) title related to a pledge level (for social herarchy purposes) ingame.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

On this note.. early talk from the devs in regards to achievements was they wanted them to be tangible. Such as the throne of bones, a cloak or even titles.

Themo Lock, Tahru and lollie like this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It matters allot to some people. I role-play a bit myself and choose to role-play my pledge title (Knight Marshal). But if i meet somebody who calls themselves a lord i treat them as such regardless of pledge level.

Tahru, lollie and Duffrey like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's your prerogative of course. I have the benefit of Bowen not giving a rats royal backside who anyone is. :) RP requires us to think on our feet and be flexible when dealing with others, especially new characters. I just do my best to stay in character and go with the flow.

Someone comes up and claims to be a noble.. I ask myself.. does Bowen believe it? Does the situation warrant a particular response?

I suppose my general rule of thumb is.. believe it until your character has reason not to.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

For me it depends allot on how well they play their role, which i believe is pretty much what you are saying also.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah there's a lot of that too. I mean if they're seriously making a claim but then don't look or act the part.. that's reason for disbelief on the part of the character without a good reason why.

I've said it before.. I think in this regard RPers are self regulating. If players accept your RP.. and they usually do so long as it's not too unbelievable.. then most will roll with it.. if the RP is just too unbelievable then they'll respond by their character believing your character is either insane or "full of it". In that way they're maintaining integrity of the world around them for themselves and to some degree for those around them.

Themo Lock likes this.
  16. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I am at lord pledge level and proud to reach this in relation to support sota. Therefore I would show the title ingame just for the sake of this very achievment. Because I am not a rper (yet :)) it feels not comfortable for me to claim to be a lord myself ingame. However I fully understand and respect if someone is rping its pledge title.

Themo Lock likes this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Titles do not equal respect, earned in game or not.

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

To me people who have pledged the highest tier levels, seem likely to be people that intend on putting allot of time and effort into the community and so far this actually has been true in many cases. Of coarse it will not always prove to be the case, and many people who don't pledge at all will put just as much effort in, all be it without access to the same tools and resources (like PoT's and castle lots).

Tahru likes this.
  19. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I think the titles being titles of nobility are just for flavour; they represent the level of support the player showed towards the game, but unless devs state the opposite and reinforce it with some kind of title dependant in game mechanic, I'm with Bowen on this... It's going to be self regulated. After all, what's a Duke or a Lord without servants? Probably, if a player tells you he's the Duke of Whatevershire, and you're in Whatevershire followed by a procession of faithful knights you're more inclined to believe it that if a character without pants tells you he's the emperor of New Britannia, am i right? Nonetheless this last case may cause some interesting results.

From a personal perspective... If somebody tells me he's a duke or something like that i won't miss the opportunity... i'm quite sure of what my answer will be :D

Tarsin and Themo Lock like this.
  20. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I did love the Fun approach of Warhammer Online in regards to titles.
    They understood that Titles are not to be taken serious and created a fun activity out of it.
    And yes.... i was one of those crazy ones who did earn the Title:

The Exhibitionist Myrcello and The Vamp Myrcella

Believe me, those Titles are far more Eye Catching then "Lord" or "Duke". (Yawn)

How did you get these Titles:

The Vamp: Talk to 10 000 Citizens unarmored
    The Exhibitionist : Perform 10 000 abilities unarmored.

I failed to achieve Emperor Title.. you had to be clicked from other players i think 10000 times while being unarmored. ( Gives a hint what the Dev´s did think of Emperors)

So if you like such funny Titles a copy paste of the most fun Titles a game every created. And these are only a view they had. They had over 1000 and more.

TitleTypeRealmRaceNotes
    Brutecleaver Quest Reward Order Dwarf Requires WARCollector's Edition.
    da Scrapper Quest Reward Destruction Orc
    Requires WAR Collector's Edition.
    Ravenslayer Quest Reward Order Human Requires WAR Collector's Edition.
    Griffonslayer Quest Reward Destruction Chaos Requires WAR Collector's Edition.
    Hopebringer Quest Reward Order High Elf Requires WARCollector's Edition; Complete QuestCenturies in the Making.
    Bloodknight Quest Reward Destruction Dark Elf Requires WARCollector's Edition.
    The Tooth Skinner Achievment Any Any Survive 5 battles with under 5% health.
    Death Defier Achievment Any Any Survive 25 battles with under 5% health.
    Denied Achievment Any Any Survive 250 battles with under 5% health.
    The Green Achievement Any Any Died 10 times to enemy players.
    Meat Shield Achievement Any Any Died 100 times to enemy players.
    Cannon Fodder Achievement Any Any Died 1000 times to enemy players.
    The Lame Duck Achievement Any Any Died 10,000 times to enemy players.
    The Feckless Achievement Any Any Died 100,000 times to enemy players.
    The Lucky Achievement Any Any Killed 10 enemy players.
    The Mauler Achievement Any Any Killed 100 enemy players.
    The Blooded Achievement Any Any Killed 1000 enemy players.
    The Psychopath Achievement Any Any Killed 10,000 enemy players.
    The Berserker Achievement Any Any Killed 100,000 enemy players.
    The Spark Snuffer Achievement Any Any Killed 10 enemy players worth more than twice your renown rank.
    The Fire Snuffer Achievement Any Any Killed 500 enemy players worth more than twice your renown rank.
    The Blaze Snuffer Achievement Any Any Killed 5000 enemy players worth more than twice your renown rank.
    The Pebble Pulverizer Achievement Any Any Killed 10 enemy players worth more than triple your renown rank.
    The Rock Pulverizer Achievement Any Any Killed 500 enemy players worth more than triple your renown rank.
    The Boulder Pulverizer Achievement Any Any Killed 5000 enemy players worth more than triple your renown rank.
    The Tin Bender Achievement Any Any Killed 10 enemy players worth more than quadruple your renown rank.
    The Iron Bender Achievement Any Any Killed 500 enemy players worth more than quadruple your renown rank.
    The Steel Bender Achievement Any Any Killed 5000 enemy players worth more than quadruple your renown rank.
    Hexed Achievement Destruction Any Killed by an Archmage.
    The Heedless Achievement Destruction Any Killed by a Shadow Warrior.
    The Stonewalled Achievement Destruction Any Killed by a Runepriest.
    The Punctured Achievement Destruction Any Killed by an Engineer.
    The Dismantled Achievement Destruction Any Killed by an Engineer.
    The Repelled Achievement Destruction Any Killed by anIronbreaker.
    The Singed Achievement Destruction Any Killed by a Bright Wizard.
    The Judged Achievement Destruction Any Killed by a Witch Hunter.
    The Banished Achievement Destruction Any Killed by a Warrior Priest.
    The Chosen One Achievement Order Any Killed by a Chosen.
    The Lead Lopper Achievement Any Any Killed 10 Guild Leaders.
    The Oppressor Achievement Any Any Killed 100 Guild Leaders.
    The Cursed Achievement Destruction Any Killed 1000 Witch Hunters.
    The Wild Achievement Destruction Any Killed 1000 Bright Wizards.
    The Decioblidevannihilator Achievement Any Any Collect all RVR Armor Sets.
    The Fowl Finisher Achievement Any Any Kill 5 chickens, not as a chicken.
    PVE Titles Edit

PvE Titles are conferred to players for a wide array of PVE accomplishments. A player can garner a PVE Title by slaying a certain number of mobs, completing a certain instance, or by discovering a hard-to-access area of the game world.
    TitleAchievementRealmRaceNotes
    The World Shaper Exclusive Reward Any Any Closed Beta Tester (Elder).
    The Devoted Inquirer Achievement Any Any Veteran Newsletter Subscriber.
    Brewmaster Quest Reward Order Dwarf Requires WARCollector's Edition.
    Piledigger Quest Reward Destruction Greenskin Requires WARCollector's Edition.
    The Purifier Quest Reward Order Human Requires WARCollector's Edition.
    The Power Hungry Quest Reward Destruction Chaos Requires WARCollector's Edition.
    The Balanced Quest Reward Order High Elf Requires WARCollector's Edition; Complete Quest A Life in the Balance.
    Painmaster Quest Reward Destruction Dark Elf Requires WARCollector's Edition.
    Pin Cushion Achievement Any Any Died 10 times.
    Accident Prone Achievement Any Any Died 100 times.
    Victim Achievement Any Any Died 1000 times.
    Casket Filler Achievement Any Any Died 2,000 times.
    Daisy Pusher Achievement Any Any Died 10,000 times.
    Run Away! Achievement Any Any Died 10 times to monsters.
    The Bait Achievement Any Any Died 100 times to monsters.
    Trained Achievement Any Any Died 1000 times to monsters.
    Routed Achievement Any Any Died 10,000 times to monsters.
    The Tragic Achievement Any Any Died 1,000,000 times to monsters.
    AHHHHHHH Achievement Any Any Fall to your death 25 times.
    The Uncoordinated Achievement Any Any Fall to your death 250 times.
    The Unbalanced Achievement Any Any Fall to your death 2500 times.
    The Pancake Achievement Any Any Fall to your death 5000 times.
    The Fashionable Achievement Any Any Dye 25 items.
    The Trendy Achievement Any Any Dye 250 items.
    The Colorblind Achievement Any Any Dye 2500 items.
    Doom Bringer Achievement Destruction Chaos, Dark Elf,Greenskin Kill First Mate Kjaelsson in Barak Varr.
    Doom Bringer Achievement Order Dwarf, High Elf,Human Speak to First Mate Kjaelsson in Barak Varr.
    Road Warden Bestiary Any Any [29261,17510] ish - Interact with (The Herdstone) - near gors - involved in Chaos quest in Norsca.
    The Brute Bestiary Any Any [24576,15514] ish - Interact with (Unfortunate Victim) - body behind some rocks near ungors inNorsca.
    Foe of the Cannibal Achievement Order Any Talk to Sickly Man in Marsh of Madness
    Echo Hunter Achievement Any Any Kill a Neborhest Bat.
    Huntsman Achievement Any Any Walk through a mob of pigs in Nordland orNorsca.
    The Present Achievement Any Any Sign up for 5 guild calendar events.
    The Supporter Achievement Any Any Sign up for 50 guild calendar events.
    The Prolific Achievement Any Any Sign up for 500 guild calendar events.
    The Omnipresent Achievement Any Any Sign up for 5,000 guild calendar events.
    The Keep Crippler Achievement Any Any Kill 25 Keep Lords.
    The Keep Raider Achievement Any Any Kill 100 Keep Lords.
    The Lord Lasher Achievement Any Any Kill 1,000 Keep Lords.
    The Keep Krusher Achievement Any Any Kill 5,000 Keep Lords.
    The Cutpurse Achievement Any Any Looted 25 items.
    The Pirate Achievement Any Any Looted 200 items.
    The Hoarder Achievement Any Any Looted 1,000 items.
    The Plunderer Achievement Any Any Looted 10,000 items.
    The Loot Harlot Achievement Any Any Looted 1,000,000 items.
    The Pawner Achievement Any Any Earn 1 gold over entire career.
    The Loaded Achievement Any Any Earn 50 gold over entire career.
    The Regal Achievement Any Any Earn 1,000 gold over entire career.
    The Opulent Achievement Any Any Earn 50,000 gold over entire career.
    The Extravagant Achievement Any Any Earn 10,000,000 gold over entire career.
    The Wise Achievement Any Any Complete 25 tome unlocks.
    The Adventurer Achievement Any Any Complete 100 tome unlocks.
    The Never-Rester Achievement Any Any Complete 100 tome unlocks.
    The Overachiever Achievement Any Any Complete 250 tome unlocks.
    The Omniscient Achievement Any Any Complete 500 tome unlocks.
    The Snob Achievement Any Any Add 5 characters to Ignore list.
    The Reclusive Achievement Any Any Add 40 characters to Ignore list.
    The Exiler Achievement Any Any Add 100 characters to Ignore list.
    The Friendly Achievement Any Any Add 5 characters to Friends list.
    The Amiable Achievement Any Any Add 40 characters to Friends listr.
    The Socialite Achievement Any Any Add 100 characters to Friends list.
    The Conscript Achievement Any Any Join 10 groups.
    The Trooper Achievement Any Any Join 100 groups.
    The Pack Hunter Achievement Any Any Join 1,000 groups.
    Ow, my eye Achievement Any Any Click yourself 100 times.
    The Vain Achievement Any Any Click yourself 5,000 times.
    Self-Centered Achievement Any Any Target yourself 100 times without gear on.
    Egomaniac Achievement Any Any Target yourself 1,000 times without gear on.
    Narcissist Achievement Any Any Target yourself 10,000 times without gear on.
    The Ogler Achievement Any Any Target an unarmored player 100 times.
    The Watcher Achievement Any Any Target an unarmored player 1,000 times.
    The Voyeur Achievement Any Any Target an unarmored player 10,000 times
    The Target Achievement Any Any Be targeted 100 times without gear on.
    The Mark Achievement Any Any Be targeted 1,000 times without gear on.
    Easy Target Achievement Any Any Be targeted 10,000 times without gear on.
    Poser Achievement Any Any Be targeted, outside of combat, 100 times while unarmored.
    The Celebrity Achievement Any Any Be targeted, outside of combat, 1,000 times while unarmored.
    Emperor Achievement Any Any Be targeted, outside of combat, 10,000 times while unarmored.
    Flirt Achievement Any Any Talk to 100 citizens while unarmored.
    Tease Achievement Any Any Talk to 1000 citizens while unarmored.
    Vamp Achievement Any Any Talk to 10000 citizens while unarmored.
    The Showoff Achievement Any Any Perform 100 abilities while unarmored.
    The Showman Achievement Any Any Perform 1000 abilities while unarmored.
    The Exhibitionist Achievement Any Any Perform 10000 abilities while unarmored.
    The Peddler Achievement Any Any Complete 50 trades with other players.
    The Trader Achievement Any Any Complete 1,000 trades with other players.
    The Exporter Achievement Any Any Complete 1,000,000 trades with other players.
    The Talker Achievement Any Any Use 'tell' command 50 times.
    The Blabbing Achievement Any Any Use 'tell' command 1,000 times.
    The Verbose Achievement Any Any Use 'tell' command 1,000,000 times.
    The Peon Achievement Any Any Gained 1,000Influence.
    The Influential Achievement Any Any Gained 10,000Influence.
    The Prominent Achievement Any Any Gained 100,000Influence.
    The Renown Achievement Any Any Gained 1,000,000Influence.
    The Eminent Achievement Any Any Gained 100,000,000Influence.
    The Litter Bug Achievement Any Any Destroy 10 items.
    The Wasteful Achievement Any Any Destroy 100 items.
    The Rubbish Remover Achievement Any Any Destroy 1,000 items.
    The Garbage Disposal Achievement Any Any Destroy 10,000 items.
    The Debris Destroyer Achievement Any Any Destroy 1,000,000 items.
    The Skinner Achievement Any Any Butcher 50 corpses.
    The Body Butcher Achievement Any Any Butcher 1,000 corpses.
    The Corpse Cutter Achievement Any Any Butcher 50,000 corpses.
    The Carcass Carver Achievement Any Any Butcher 500,000 corpses.
    The Lint Looter Achievement Any Any Scavenge 50 corpses.
    The Body Searcher Achievement Any Any Scavenge 1,000 corpses.
    The Frisky Achievement Any Any Scavenge 50,000 corpses.
    The Remains Robber Achievement Any Any Scavenge 500,000 corpses.
    The Topper Achievement Any Any Earn a gold medal in ten Public Quests.
    The Above Average Achievement Any Any Earn a silver medal in ten Public Quests.
    The Skeleton Hunter Bestiary Any Any [32947, 7142] ish - Interact with (Gravestone) in Norscain graveyard near Chaos Prologue.
    The Lumberjack Achievement Any Any Examine Rootwalker Remains in The Shadowlands (12583, 57896)
    The Validated Achievement Any Any Validate account.
    The Fearless Achievement Any Any Unlock Spirit Host kill in tome bestiary, then visit Amund's Barrowin Norsca.
    The Hornsnapper Achievement Any Any Kill Sylendoras (15 Champion Unicorn) inThe Shadowlands.
    Pioneer Achievement Any Any Collect 5 Bear Pelts from Darkclaw Bears in The Shadowlands.
    The Grounded Killing Destruction Chaos, Dark Elf,Greenskin Visit Shattered Basin (10748,23942) in Shadowlands. Collecting 4 Warhawk Feathers may or may not trigger this.
    The Gourmand Bestiary Destruction Chaos, Dark Elf,Greenskin Complete the The Other, Other Red MeatTome quest unlock; Eat what Tochez da Slop Slinger gives you at Da War Maka inMount Bloodhorn.
    The Gourmand Bestiary Order Dwarf, High Elf,Human Complete the The Other, Other Red MeatTome quest unlock; Eat the Squig-on-a-stick given to you when you interact withKormina Falinsdotr at the Pick & Goggles inEkrund.
    The Bounty Hunter Bestiary Destruction Chaos, Dark Elf,Greenskin Click on any Uthorin Sorceress near Dark Elf Prologue inBlighted Isle.
    The Howler Bestiary Any Any [ 4685,48615] ish - Go to cliff near wolves inBlighted Isle north of Dreamshade PQ.
    The Crusher Bestiary Destruction Chaos, Dark Elf,Greenskin [20890,47462] ish - Talk to (Ragakk) npc Ogre in Barak Varr.
    The Crusher Bestiary Order Dwarf, High Elf,Human Talk to Lead BelcherNPC Ogre in Barak Varr at [49229,57984]. Follow the road South-East of Thane's Defense, and head towards the Eastern exit from Barak Varr to the Marshes of Madness. He is standing next to a Cannon, holding a BFG, in the Dwarf Camp just West of the path, as you near the southern Mountain Range. The camp is on the hill just past the last Sign-post along the road.
    The Frightful Bestiary Destruction Any [35251,47846] ish - Talk to (Bloody Sun War Blaster) npc Goblin in Mount Bloodhorn (at end of 'mushroom tunnel' for greenskin quest Crazy Gits
    Scale Breaker Bestiary Any Any Complete a Balancing of Scales Tome quest unlock
    The Hound Hunter Bestiary Any Any Complete Hungry Hungry Hounds Tome quest unlock. Interact with the bag labeled "Kibbles and scraps" in southeastern Nordland near the Smuggler's Tunnel
    The Spite Splitter Bestiary Any Any Complete Looking for Shinies Tome quest unlock. Kill spites in Ostland and pick up the ring item(random drop).
    The Peculiar Bestiary Any Any Click (Loose Rock) Around 48845,48300 in The Blighted Isle.
    The Denier of Disease Bestiary Any Any Complete Getting it off Your Chest Tome quest unlock; Interact with the DwarvenFestering Corpse at [54221,49997] in Barak Varr. This is South-east of Burn Rock Tower PQ forDestruction and due East of Thane's Defense forOrderDwarf Chapter 7
    The Concoctioner Achievement Any Any Earn Apothecary skill level 30.
    The Fine Fuser Achievement Any Any Complete 500 Apothecary sessions.
    Vale-Walker: Speak to Dregenis in Avelorn at the coordinates 43k, 44k.
    The Pivotal Force Achievement Any Any Trigger 5,000 Critical Hits.
    Lady Godiva Achievement Any Any Ride a mount in a capital city without gear on.
    The Bone Breaker Achievement Any Any Complete the questParts of Parts
    Grot's Doom Heroic Any Any Complete the questThe History of the Goblins

Those had been only some of the over 1000 Titles you could get. And basically you could find a title for every style or type of player you think you are.

Most important - it was a feature like fishing was in UO. Something to spend time during chatting or standing around in the game.
    I did spend most of the Fun time just standing around ingame and chatting or doing silly things in Ultima Online.

We need more silly stuff in Shroud of the Avatar. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.