I don't care for overland travel

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by brianbourke75, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The overland map and other retro game mechanics (eg- free style chat, no quest markers, etc) is what was promised from the beginning and why this game was kickstarted. Personally, I'm loving it.

Hopefully you can look past the overland map and enjoy the rest of the game.

2. Synopsis

Synopsis Avatar

Hi everyone ! :) This game seems to be very promising i was waiting so much for a old school kind of MMO so i want to be surprised by what it will offer ! But after what i've seen i wonder about the overland map system and the potential problem it can cause to the immersion rythm of the game if every time you want to go to another corner of the map you have to go back to the overland map and run till you find your destination it can be fun for a time but rapidly it will become annoying especially when you have to regularly change map for your business.

I'am not against this overland Map system if it's well done and has a real point to use. But maybe an alternative and additional system,as the Op proposed, more fast and less immersive such as a menu could be nice to implement since the solution of making a more open world is not possible financially. It can be the world map with teleportation spots (as in GW for instance) or specific scrolls you buy to teleport to some places even if you have to give some coins for it, or maybe a "classic living map" like a standard map but with a lot of animated things on it for instance whenever a city is under siege we see some animations of it, the banners of the the clans which own the cities, if there are some important gathering, etc... Or anything else^^

Caliya likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Of course there would be, its serves all the purposes the devs have listed, and more : makes travel much faster and less tedious for people, make the world feel less tiny, allows the map to be changed easier, allows more easier and more flexible matching of players to content.

That's like saying there was no point to an overworld map in Ultimas I through V.

Filthy Peasant, Tahru and rune_74 like this.
  4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If you can't see far enough to know where you're going, there is no point to an overland map. Might as well make it a seamless world and scrap the overland altogether.

I don't see games (like Skyrim and countless other games) doing this. An overland map is a true overland view. If you restrict it to field of vision, the very definition is no longer "overland".

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The overland map shouldn't just be a travel mechanism...it should have reasons to be there.

This, like a few other things in the game that cause players inconvienence, are a requirement in order to provide a game and not a spreadsheet of locations. If there are no inconveinences to the player they will just glide through the game.

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

God forbid we should be able to "glide through the game". Sounds horrible. Rune I wonder if you like traffic jams?

7. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I don't know... Except for travel, the reasons to be in the overland map aren't compelling enough in my opinion. And by design they never will be. The overland map is only a slight improvement over the cave/sewer travel options available through scene instances like Blackblade Pass, which is essentially the in-game equivalent to a spreadsheet of locations. I just can't see myself spending an hour or two in the overland map in one sitting like I can in other zones. The best thing SotA can do for me is minimize the time spent in the overland map, and time spent loading zones.

8. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Wait. You want them to design in inconveniences?

Isn't a game, a game? Like, to have fun and "glide through" if we want to? :D

Epona and Algnosis like this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I probably used the wrong term...but I meant that there has to be challenges to the player that isn't really easy. People asking for easy don't realize how quickly that will get boring.

Combat is inconveinent. Hard puzzles are as well. Traveling that may be interupted, inconveinent.

Epona, Logain, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually, gliding through a game sounds fairly boring...

Like all you're doing is clicking on quest markers and not reading the dialogue, or the game gives you no chance of real dying in combat so its never a challenge to stay alive, etc.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

aye, this seems to be the modern culture of gaming. Race through the game, get the rush, move on to the next game.

12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

The overland map isn't going anywhere, the SOTA team have worked hard evolving it from it's beginning, to scrap it for something else wouldn't
    be practical, at first I hated it but it has grown on me, other games don't have it so it'll be seen as a SOTA thing, and in the long run won't seem
    too bad, we really have to experience it on the full map to get a feel for how cool it is, on the tiny scale map it does seem less cool but you'll get
    used to it.

Algnosis and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Amen! I think this would include a much larger discussion. I can say the last few MMO's I played all turned into this. I don't know if it is the games fault entirely, as I could have actually continue to read it. But frankly, they were not engaging enough to keep my interest for a variety of reasons. Back to topic... none of those had an overland map. But I am still not a fan of it.

Algnosis and Caliya like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL well I truly looked and may have missed it but I do not think our OP ever came back to the thread.

Welcome to all of you who are new here, if I have not said hello to you yet:)

I think eventually our overhead map when all the coolness is added in will WOW everyone,
    and not meaning the game WOW of course.;)

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Every time someone argues for playability vs. sitting on your butt waiting for a screen to load, someone here starts muttering about instant gratification.

In context, "gliding" doesn't mean you're not playing the game. To the contrary, to me it just means that you're not inhibited from moving around, which means you can play the game MORE. This game has several features that inhibit you, including most notably moving between scenes. I understand why the game is constructed this way. But it does slow down your ability to PLAY THE GAME.

BTW I like the overland map. I think it's a cool feature.

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Once we have mark and recall, I think that will help with the annoying factors of the map. When I am going somewhere I want to get there.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I wasn't talking about loading screens as a positive inhibit. This is your words and idea from what I wrote. I think I was pretty clear on what I meant.

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

has there been any information lately on this? I was under the impression that mark and recall where not in game, and is one of the reasons for the overland map.

Time Lord and Caliya like this.
  19. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

No word yet...I keep hoping they don't forget tho.

Tarsin and majoria70 like this.
  20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Eh? I thought the whole reason they had the overland map and lunar rifts was to avoid marking and recalling (not to mention, no horse riding until people sufficiently asked for it and it's only a stretch goal) altogether. Did I miss something in that dialog on design?

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.