PaxLair Player Town

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

[​IMG]
    We hope you will enjoy our service :)
    Stay tuned for more informations or contact us if you have questions

2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I love visiting furniture stores! Do we get to 'test' the beds? Will there be beverages and cookies provided to customers? :D I look forward to visiting your shop!

Time Lord, Lord Lonn, Net and 6 others like this.
  3. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

You will get your cookies...and you can "test" our beds with the promise not to snore :D

4. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

Looking forward to visiting the store! I hope there are no pushy sales people forcing me to buy things I don't need :p

Time Lord, Lord Lonn, Net and 6 others like this.
  5. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

just be careful not to grab this bed *points to the bed miracle dragon sleeps in* :D

6. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

I do wish he wouldn't test the beds whilst wearing full plate armour, the springs just can't take it:D

7. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

or we will label it "full plate armour approved" after his nap :D

8. Sole

Sole Avatar

If you test that bed too long you may end up paying some kind of fee ;) And naturally we will have nice selection of best quality cookies and tea.

9. Xarth

Xarth Avatar

Greetings people of Paxlair - It's certainly been a long time.

Back on Chesapeake I went by this same name as well as 'Ru-seinia, San Grellon, Triven, Trenton and owned the beach of Magincia in Felucca.

What great times and memories i have of those time. I look forward to meeting you all again in the future.

-Xarth

10. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

11. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I was asked a good question the other day.

"Are PaxLair weekly meetings role-played and are to be in character?"

Here is my answer:

The PaxLair weekly meetings are not currently 100% in character as if we live in New Britannia. We do seek to be immersive -- that is to act and talk of things while being "in the game" rather than an outsider looking through a computer screen.​

In the past years of PaxLair, we needed to talk about our online forums and online newsletters. We give them names, like ethereal scrolls or PaxLair Times so they are easier to integrate into role-playing. We talked about sending pigeons instead of sending ICQ messages. As our in-game and out-of-game functions and services mature, I think it will be easier to talk about them without losing in-character immersion. We can talk about the New Britannia Press articles now in game since that site is set up and operating; so we no longer need to talk about installing WordPress patches or redirects for the domain name.​

I think for now, we just talk about whatever needs to be talked about in the simplest manners and terms to get things up and running. So feel free to talk about web sites and such as needed in our meetings. Even our role-playing immersion techniques within SotA are in pre-alpha too I guess.​

Time Lord, RDouglas, Ravicus and 3 others like this.
  12. Winfield

We had a really good PaxLair Working Hours session today (Saturday, January 17, 2015).

We talked about designing the PaxLair Scene(s).
    • We are continuing to define our scene ideas and what buildings will be placed in different areas and neighborhoods.
    • We are also working on ideas for integrating / connecting to multiple scenes (purchased as separate Player Owned Towns in the Add-on Store) to be part of PaxLair. This will give PaxLair and new partners more diversity and flexibility to be mutually beneficial. Such additional Player Owned Town owners (partners) may be able to connect their land assets and ideas directly to PaxLair, which will be an immersive town with government, commercial businesses, neighborhoods, story-lines, public services, many guilds and more.
    • We still plan to start PaxLair in Episode 1 in a Settler period of time. We will not allocate all our lot locations in our scenes on Day 1 of E1. We will have a short back-story for PaxLair that many can contribute to during the Pre-Alpha periods.
    • For the most part though, the PaxLair story and history will be created "real time" in Episode 1 and reported/documented in newspapers, in-game books, libraries, town barkeeps, and more. The people creating this story and history will be citizens, residents, patrons, friends, and travelers.
    • We intend to also ally towns in other areas of the Novian continent early in Episide 1 since it looks like commerce will be regional and we will rely on allies, friends, and embassies to work across Novia. We will likely have a few of these treaties pre-conceived before Episode 1, but will not be executed and put in place until Episode 1.
    During our Working Hours, we also visited Gaelis Trajan's latest house design -- 3 bungalows on a village lot in Holtrot. Well done!

[​IMG]

13. Winfield

PaxLair 17th Anniversary of Continuous Township
    January 20, 2015 at 7 PM US Central Time​
    At the Grand Theater in PaxLair, Valemark​
    /zone Winfield​
    PaxLair was founded on January 19, 1998 in Old Britannia (Chesapeake, Ultima Online) and has continued to exist and prosper ever since. The Anniversary events have concluded in Old Britannia after several days of tournaments, parties, hunts, tours, games, dinners, and speeches. The celebrators visited 6 towns of the PaxLair Statehood and Alliance and enjoyed the company of many people who have been in Old Britannia for over a decade.​
    [​IMG]
    Looking at the Plaque Issued by Lord British at the PaxLair Mage Tower on November 11, 1998 in Old Britannia​
    [​IMG]
    At the PaxLair Castle, the Event Managers Drosselmeyer and Dramnar Present Special Statues to PaxLair in Old Britannia​
    In New Britannia, PaxLair citizens will host an informal celebration at its Grand Theater in PaxLair, Valemark on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 7 PM US Central Time. People may learn more about PaxLair's rich history and what PaxLair may be like in New Britannia. Everyone is welcome, and you may help sing Winfield's Fish Song.​
    [​IMG]
    At the Grand Theater Pub, PaxLair, Valemark (Release 13)​
    Footnote: PaxLair's Consolidated History from 1998 to 2004 is here in the PaxLair Times, describing the formative years of PaxLair.

14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Awesome Idea!Love it!

15. Winfield

PaxLair Celebrates 17 Years of History – Lord British Attends

(January 20, 2015) PAXLAIR (VALEMARK) – PaxLair, a town being developed in New Britannia, celebrated 17 years of history. Many people attended the celebration at the Grand Theater in PaxLair as Governor Winfield gave a moving and informational speech. Lord British attended and offered his personal congratulations and thanked everyone forming new communities in New Britannia. PaxLair was founded in Old Britannia (Ultima Online) on January 19, 1998. PaxLair is also being built in New Britannia (Shroud of the Avatar).

Governor Winfield opened the celebration with the following speech.

Welcome everyone to PaxLair in New Britannia! I am Winfield, the Governor of PaxLair. Today is a very special day for PaxLair! We are now 17 years old!

Tonight, I welcome you to celebrate this day with us and for all that PaxLair may become here in New Britannia too.

PaxLair started in Old Britannia on January 19, 1998 on the Chesapeake Shard of Ultima Online. We were a single guild that placed some houses which within several months grew into a town of a dozen guilds. Why did we grow so fast? Well, mainly out of necessity! In those days, nearly all of Britannia was a combat zone (open PVP). To survive in the wilderness, we needed guards, crafters, scouts, allies, more buildings, and more allies. We even had the first player-operated bank where we kept a ledger for all patrons, especially murderers (some were PKs) who wanted to store gold in our town — they could not readily access a bank. So they trusted us, we trusted them (to a point) and they helped defend PaxLair too. This started us down a great path of cooperation among many peoples in many places.

So PaxLair out of necessity became a neutral, peace seeking crossroads of many people. Check your weapons at the door, have a drink with your enemies, go to the GM built arena, and have fun. We even have a justice system in PaxLair with courts and sentences that people carry out. We also have a library of over 1000 player-written books, also catalogued on UOGuide Wiki. We’ve had many theatrical plays and have been involved in radio stations and gatherings over the years.

We did so well in our first year, that Lord British himself visited PaxLair on November 11, 1998. He met our founders and distinguish us as a town well built. Thank you Lord British! We always worked with developers and quest game masters in those early days when Old Britannia was still being developed, even after it had gone LIVE. We became an experimental ground not just for line of sight testing and secure chest ideas, but also in what makes a community grow and how people are drawn to in-game towns and communities.

We eventually grew to the largest Statehood on Chesapeake with 5 towns and more than 30 guilds. Today, PaxLair is strong in Old Britannia and we just completed our near week-long anniversary events last night. We are still there today, and will continue for all years to come in Old Britannia.

PaxLair in Old Britannia, and PaxLair in New Britannia, are fully immersed as realistic towns in all manners possible so people can live here, work, visit, be friends, go to war, and do anything that a town of people could and should do.

We are building another PaxLair here in New Britannia! We’ve learned a lot in 17 years of what works and doesn’t work so well. We know New Britannia is different with different capabilities and different people. Yet, we know a town can be a town, here or in Old Britannia. We wish to help other towns and communities along our journey, and be helped by many with new ideas. We are very open to anyone who wishes to be a resident, citizen, patron, or ally of PaxLair. We will build PaxLair in earnest during Episode 1 with a rich history to be freshly created by all the people here.

I thank everyone for listening to my 17th Anniversary message today! We will sing the Fish Song in a bit, but now … Lord British, we are honored by your presence. Do you have anything you wish to say Sire?

Lord British nodded and came down from the bleachers to the stage. He said the following:

Thank you. The honor is mine as well!

PaixLair remains the first and foremost city in all of “virtual” Existence. While many new rich and wonderous cities have and will be built, there is something special about the history and traditions of PaixLair. I know I have always enjoyed my time in the fair city among its people. I know all of Britannia shares that feeling.

I thank you, all who have come to New Britannia. I thank all of you who are forming new communities. I thank PaixLair. I thank you Winfield!

Happy Anniversary indeed!

After the speeches, Lord British had to depart and the crowd headed to the hot tubs. There, Winfield lead everyone in the historic Fish Song with the famous chorus line, “Bait my hook. Cast my line. Fishing is my way of life!”

Celebrators continued to sing, talk and splash around in the hot tubs for more than an hour. The PaxLair maintenance crew arrived later in the night and informed the New Britannia Press that the hot tubs would be well cleaned and refilled with fresh water by morning.

PaxLair continues to try old and new town ideas and events in New Britannia. They cooperate and share ideas with many people, guilds, towns, and services. Their Town Manager handling the PaxLair town scene development is Sean Silverfoot and their Captain of the Guard is Nanoc. Ashlynn is the cartographer and artist. Governor Winfield leads various activities and ideas, and fishes whenever he can. More people are slowly becoming citizens and residents of PaxLair by working with the town over several months. Governor Winfield stated that PaxLair veterans and new people will slowly build the town in New Britannia. They will start as settlers, lending to a completely new, rich, and yet un-established PaxLair history in New Britannia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Winfield

PaxLair is back up and running in Valemark in Release 14. Thanks for all who obtained lots in the Upper Meadow and other areas in Valemark.

Our residents, citizens, and patrons are involved in many events this weekend to include Chaos Sermon, Welcome Quest, All Player Towns Gathering, Welcome to New Britannia!, PaxLair Meeting, New Britannia Press meeting, and more.

Events are listed here on the Avatars Circle Calendar.

While we have settled again in Valemark, we are also settling in Ardoris to try out Row Houses for decorations and events. We are interested in concepts for apartments too, so the more we test and come up with ideas, the more the developers can possibly add features for Episode 1.

We are also promoting the Dungeon Runs that happen Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 10 AM and 7 PM Central US Time. These are no-host Runs, so come as you are and see who shows up.

17. Winfield

I am unable to attend the events tonight:
    • PaxLair meeting - Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7 PM Central US Time
    • Fishing with Winfield - Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 8 PM Central US Time
    Sorry about that.

However, please do host/attend the events -- I am not essential to these events ... well, the second one has my name in it but many people are 'fishing' too! I wish I could always be there; this is one time I cannot.

So the show still goes on! I just can't make it tonight. Please pass the word to others who you may see and the regulars who come to these events. Thanks!

Time Lord, Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

How can you not be essential to "Fishing with Winfield?" :cool:

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Its ok i have a practice dummy and a wig.. if somebody can loan us a crown we are sorted.

20. fillyblunts

fillyblunts Avatar

This is amazing! I played OSI-Chesapeake for years and its great to see Paxlair lives on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.