Banning/Permissions Control List for Owners/Co-Owners

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Jan 16, 2015.

?

Should Player Town Owners be able to Ban?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

10.7%
  2. I want to be able to ban, but just for events, then they dont have to be banned anymore.

3.6%
  3. Banning is against the exploration of the game, and I may want to go to places where im not welcome.

10.7%
  4. No

39.3%
  5. Yes

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This is your opinion of course. I believe its the responsibility of the Player Town Owner. You are assuming that POT's did not pay for GM status. You are assuming most people do not want it. You can however speak for yourself and say that you do not want it. I can make threads that specify from previous threads, as you see, I am separating the PVP from the PVE and the White list and the Black list arguments. It is needed in my opinion and I think I have the right to post what I believe is relevant. People in other threads where getting these arguments confused and I wanted to give this argument a place of its own as to not get confused.

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Absolutely. But I find is disrespectful to go off spawning threads to rehash an argument that has just concluded. This is nothing personal at all. I am not pointing fingers at anyone as many have done it. Just look at the constant re-spawn of the PVP full loot topics. But this topic was civilly and quite thoroughly discussed where everyone got their voices respectfully herd. And then someone posted a followup asking for the devs in an appeal for a decision. I simply don't think it is productive to keep at this...

Lets talk about something else more fun :)

L u s t likes this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

can you please stay on topic! you can message me if you feel the need to lecture me. Please remove your post if you will.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

This should be done via the proper channels and those breaking ToS should be reported accordingly; this ensure that everything is done fairly. Needless to say it shouldn't be up to another player to remove content from another.

This is actually a global issue......not just in a PoT. Once again if it is against ToS they should be reported accordingly. They can also be put on ignore.

Surely this is more of a 'friends only' feature?

Anyway needless to say I don't support the banning of other players from PoTs. It is open to abuse and ultimately bad for the playerbase of the game. The game is "Selective Multiplayer"....emphasis on Selective; if you have players on your block list I very much doubt you will end up seeing them.

A bit like Tahru, I feel that this thread is just being repeated for the sake of being repeated.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Pro's of a PvE town blacklist ban system -
    getting rid of unwanted griefers (definitions of griefing may very from player to player, but generally a griefer is some one who gets a thrill out of other peoples misery)
    Getting rid of gold spammers (who would want these?)
    Having control over the immersion you are trying to create in the atmosphere of your town.
    (keeping the role play that you desire in your town without outside intervention that you do not want in your town)

Now you stated that all of these are the GM's responsibility. I say they can be the gm's responsibility. Lets see:
    Getting rid of unwanted griefers. Why should the gm have to enforce the player town owners feelings that they are being griefed? Also the time for a gm to answer the griefing is done and over with, and the event ruined.
    Rid of gold spammers, By being able to have the town owners to do this would help the gms not have to monitor the player towns and focus more on the NPC content.
    How are GM's supposed to maintain your vision of Immursion of your town, are they supposed to be on available each and every time you need to report some guy or group of guys?

Time Lord and Sold and gone like this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

one should not be pidgeon holed into friends online if they want immursion.

Can you guys tell me REASONS for you not wanting a blacklist ban in a PVE player town? I know that you are against it but what are your reasons? You keep reiterating how these things should be done, so you guys agree that there is a need. I am saying when the need is there it is an immidiate need, not a wait for 2-6 hours for a gm need. So give me some reasons why you are against a ban.

Time Lord and Sold and gone like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

:rolleyes:

EDIT:
    Hmm the editor ate my link..
    EDIT
    twice
    EDIT
    arrrggghhhh dammit the editor just convert any youtube links to a direct link to the vid...

OK final try, copy paste this into a browser to get to the exact timeslot relevant for this topic...
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqy_Nh6-G_g#t=2514

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    LOL

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I still like this quote from Curt :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As a PoT owner you essentially buy the very existence of entire town, including the ability to enter that specific area in the first place. No town.. no "hex".. Cause it's not there.

11. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

On the basis I bought 3 and did all appropriate research I know exactly what I bought. Controlling who can and can't enter is outside of the scope of what is being sold.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I just rewatched the Player town hangout and they did say that they did originally have these permissions set for player town owners. Then after a discussion in dev plus they removed them. I do not remember the discussion in dev plus. I do think they should involve all player owners in this discussion. I think we should petition the devs to hear all of the player town owners not just a couple who had their ear at that time. Watch here at 42:00

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

They said they initially had it so that you could have these permissions, and that they changed it. So who knows what was bought if they keep changing things.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am searching the dev+ for this discussion now.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How is that relevant to my point? No owner = no town = can't enter a town that doesn't exist.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  16. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

Bowen you have made an assumption of what you get when you purchase a PoT which is clear when you say:
    All I am saying that I have purchased several and that I did all appropriate research into what a PoT is and what you get (ie controls) within your purchase. By all means dress it up as much as you like; it doesn't change the fact that all you purchase is the right to control who 'lives' in a specific area along with the ability of choosing where that public area is PvP or Non-PvP. You also purchase the right to have limited control over the layout based around general templates.........and that's it.

For me, what is currently provided is reasonable and has enough control and features to encourage thriving communities......you don't need 'God Mode' to make things successful.

blaquerogue, Keira OFaolain and Tahru like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

So Darkstarr talks about a Dev+ conversation here. Does anyone have a link to that conversation? I have looked and cannot find it. How many player town owners were aware of this? Roll call please. I for one was not.

18. Sofiamia

Sofiamia Avatar

Seems the bane of all online games to have griefers, people who only wish to cause trouble for other players. My thoughts on this: For people who have shown themselves to be a nuisance or downright disrupt the playtime of other players, have their character end up in either the town "clink" or the world "clink" for a week or so with no means to buy their way out unless it is a very hefty fine? And no one but that jailed character can pay his own fine.

Other options:
    Fine and jail time, fine being paid at the end of his sentence.
    Jail time only.
    Reduced stats for a time Repeat offenders getting permanent reductions causing their characters to have to rebuild.
    Flagged as PVP with an appropriate title for all to see and can be attacked by anyone, including non-PVPers with no consequence to the aggressor/s.
    Being on the guard "hit list" that Themo Lock would like.
    When all other options fail a permanent ban from the game .

The real world does contain evil-doers, and just like in the real world, when they're caught there should be consequences. But reformation, redemption and leniency partof a civil society. I believe this new world we are all creating by our actions should champion itself as a civil society. We should meet out penalties in such a way as to allow the person to continue to play the whole world but only after he's shown himself he wishes to be a part of our society.

By the way, guards are already irritating me in Owl's Head, (a good citizen everywhere I go), by calling me out as an "outlander" and that the guards constantly remind me "We are watching you, outlander". (One guard accused me of talking to some character I know I haven't interacted with. lol). If this was set up by the owner of that town it is very bad form to tell a player they're not welcome when they've done nothing wrong. Show an unwelcome face to people in your town people will stop coming and your vendors will take the hit. Example:

One mayor of Britain on UO, Pacific shard, tried this nonsense by causing the guards in town to say to everyone, (even people friended to the town), to "Move along, citizen", whenever someone stood in place for more than 5 seconds. It was very annoying. I was in a group where the message was mentioned and we found out our reactions were the same, we no longer entered Britain. A new mayor was elected and that nonsense was stopped.

Themo Lock...You mentioned that guild leader who was actually recruiting people for the sole purpose of disrupting the game play of persons he felt had done him wrong. I think only other like-minded people would actually stay in his guild when they found out what he is about. A more mature approach could have been him having a sit-down with the leader of the other group to air his grievances and perhaps find a peaceful solution. `sigh` Maturity is such a big word for some people.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Yeah it is not likely that ENVY intends to spend a small fortune and spend his time being an ass, being bored during a test and actual game time during release may vary XD

Just because people don't want the feature doesn't mean they are going to be disruptive.

L u s t and Filthy Peasant like this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm making no such assumptions. We haven't been talking about what IS all this time.. but our respective opinions on what SHOULD be and why we think what we do.

Your stance appears very much based on what you know you get right now. That's current thinking and not set in stone.. and you think banning is restricting content.. where as I am making the point that said "content" would not even exist had the owner, a player.. such as yourself.. had not paid for it to exist. While you and others have worded arguments that make it sound like all these towns would exist even if you hadn't paid for them. If that were true you'd have a much stronger point in that regard.

Player towns are 100% extra in relation to default game content. It hurts no one not to see it. A matter of perspective perhaps.

Phenom Ill Il IlI l likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.