Bring in undead as playable race!

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Robby, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

There is a class in Dark Souls called the Deprived, and they start off with loin clothes and a club, and all stats are the same number. My friend and I were trying to figure out if they were better down the road and we thought that perhaps they had some special power. As it turns out, they were just there in order to make an incredibly challenging game even more challenging. Don't know why I brought this up, but for some reason it popped into my head while I was reading your post.

2. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

My opinion of playable undead.

Give us options of becoming undead in game.

1. You must level your character to max levels to become a lich. You must go through a drawn out ritual and once you go through the transformation which is permanent you are then a monster in the eyes of ALL inhabitants of Britannia and can be attacked by everyone.
    2. Vampires. You can be infected by a vampire at any level but receive the benefits and detriments that a vampire has AND you are considered a monster and are open to attack by all inhabitants of Britannia, good or evil.

3 . Skeletons and zombies... The lowest of low undead. Upon death a necromancer could raise you as one BUT that's all you will ever be because they are basically brainless servants. Leveling will cease in these cases. Once again as a zombie or skeleton you are a monster and are open to attack by all inhabitants of Britannia good or evil.

4. Non corporeal undead. Ghosts, wraiths and the like may be able to level in certain things but these undead types are monsters and are open to attack by all. They also gain the benefits and detriments of said undead state.

3. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

HIC EN SPIRITUM
    SED NON INCORPORE
    EVOKARE LEMURES DE MORTUIS
    DECRETUM ESPUGNARE
    DE ANGELUS BALBERITH
    EN INFERNO INREMEABLIS

Thread necromancy -- how .... topical!

4. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

No. Just no.

Bowen Bloodgood and rune_74 like this.
  5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

No,
    Necromancer/Necromonger yes

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

We did talk about this about a year ago. I cannot remember what was said against it other than it would be strange if everybody ran around new Britannia as an Undead. Considering that it is the undead that are causing such problems in the south part of hidden vale etc.

I like the idea about undead as a player race, but it shouldn't be the same kind of undead that are plaguing the world otherwise why would shop keepers want to even talk to you?

If they had a playable undead race it would be nice if they are more polished yet dark. What I'm thinking is more like "Interview with a Vampire" rather than zombie apocalypse. Clearly the Cruise/Pitt/Banderas type undead are more appealing to the general population and might be more welcomed in society, although they might be a little bit frightening.

Since we don't stay dead anyway being an undead isn't going to change much about us. Perhaps they could have a new type of undead created for SotA where an Avatar can choose to undergo a transformation of some kind in a quest for power. Maybe only the most dangerous folk can become these undead avatars.

Maybe the quest(s) can be quite difficult and come with serious consequences that might cause the average person to avoid that path. It might also require that a person attain a list of achievements too as prerequisites. That way only the people truly serious about being this type of character ever choose this path, and there is no way back. It is like becoming a perma red PK in UO. It isn't something that happens on accident, and there are serious consequences. This will keep the population lower rather than half the people just playing an undead. Also it is like earning a title, because it isn't easy to attain, and it has difficult consequences to live with. So being this type of undead being would also be recognized as quite an accomplishment by others, and even enemies might respect them.

Although this might go beyond the scope of episode one release.

7. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

This! A vampiric type lifestyle due to transforming into the undead sounds like a nice mechanic.

8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

<-------------creates a Phylactery and performs the Ceremony of Endless Night.

9. Robby

Robby Avatar

Kinda like that new awesome movie: Dracula Untold!

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Exactly. It doesn't have to be the standard vampire that we all have come to know from the movies either. Perhapse they get negative modifiers for being in the daylight rather than just burning them up.

Remember the GI Joe action figure that turned blue when he was in sunlight? I looked him up I think it is Zartan. Either way he got weak in the sunlight or something like that. Maybe that could be a side effect of this corruption. So instead of calling them undead, the race could just be called Vampire.

There are lots of interesting things this would bring up. Diet changes is one that pops to mind. Rather than eating standard foods like carbs and proteins, the vampires need to drink blood for some reason. Maybe they need iron lol.

However they could take a page out of the Interview with a Vampire type vampire and say it must drink fresh blood directly from a living human being. Now that makes keeping up your diet a difficult task. You would then need to feed off of a living person not one that you just killed. Just a thought.

EDIT: This last requirement of a diet of blood from a living human being could be a dangerous lifestyle. for starters they need to be able to stealth well, and if they kill an NPC that should give them criminal status of some kind if and when they develop a criminal/murder system.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would think being an avatar would negate being undead.

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

No no no! *shakes head* Elves!

Filthy Peasant and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm so against this idea, and it's not even close. Please don't do this.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I agree. That's why I think undead or vampires need to be added later and be a type of corruption of the person's being. Still able to come back from the dead but our manifestation in new Britannia forever altered.

I don't think having thousands of Undead in this game would be right for Shroud of the Avatar, that's why I think it should be limited in a similar fashion to what I mentioned above. In which case it shouldn't be a priority for episode 1. What I propose is only a side show. certainly elves should be the first playable race.

Filthy Peasant and Tahru like this.
  15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I hadn't really thought about that before, but it is a very good point. Avatar's can't really die in New Britannia. The world won't allow their soul to pass over here, as our real bodies are still bound to another world.

16. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

2 Thumbs up!!! :D

17. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

So here's my take on it...

DarkStarr, equipped with his 'Philosopher's Orb' and 'Staff of Unlife', seeks the life essence of avatars... For each avatar he smites with the staff, he drains their life essence, locking it in the orb. The avatar smote by DarkStarr in this manner becomes "Undead", neutral to certain Undead mobs, and hostile to most NPCs and city guards.
    For every "life" that DarkStarr captures in his orb, DarkStarr's Automation gains +1 'life', increasing it's AI and cyborg-ness, becoming more like an (anti-)avatar. The automation's purpose is to "KILL ALL AVATARS!", becoming the ultimate boss mob that threatens New Britannia!

The only way to regain one's "life" is if the 'Philosopher's Orb' is broken, releasing the trapped life essences within; the automation is killed (a temporary set-back), thereby reducing the number of 'lives'; or by some other means that drains the orb/automation of trapped life essences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.