Who Killed Role-Playing in MMOs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

2. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Indeed dated, but the thoughts are timeless.

I strongly agree with all of it. RP far from dead, its house does have termites in the floorboards and elitist rats in the walls.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Nicely worded post :)

4. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I really would like to see an MMORPG that scrapped having an attribute system.

I feel that if every character is equal then the numbers crunch and endgame content are invalidated.

For combat, have it be entirely based on player skill. Have crafting be mini-games.

The only reason to buy player stuff isn't because they make more powerful weapons but because they have longer durability. Since all weapons/armor would have to be equal.

Moonshadow and Filthy Peasant like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

:) I do too. To bad most of the people need shock value now days and some one else s imagination to have fun in a game, instead of creating a world in their mind. I believe attributes and new flashy stuff in games contributes to the mentality of game of game hopping, in ever search of more and better pixel addictions lol. So many people I know have played so many different games, I just do not understand how anyone can enjoy them or immerse yourself in them. I am actually jealous of them if they can, because there is no way I can have the time or ability to play almost every game that comes out.

Time Lord and Heradite like this.
  6. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I have never seen role playing in an MMO save for NWN1 and NWN2. UO and SWG had some but not exactly like the NWN where you had to RP or risk being banned.

Keep in mind RP is something that people did back in the day of pen and paper games. So all these MMORPG games sell as RPG games but people just log on to level their characters with buds and collect cool gear.

So RP barely made it to video games. If it weren't for NWN1 and NWN2 RP would be dead. I still play NWN2 to this day.

That is why I put 7k into this game friend. This is a rare gem. This game attracted a large RP community.

That is why you see me fighting the NON RP gang nail and tooth. For example "DO NOT ADD BANNING TO POTS." These people have no clue what RP is or what it can be. They only know min and max and FOTM. Or they are gold sellers thinking about setting up shop here and see that the POT banning is bad for business.

So take up a sword bud, because you will have to fight for this game to stay RP. I can see the villagers up in arms already trying to burn down our little piece of heaven.

I have already become involved with the RP community and will be working with the DM Bloodgod to setup some large scale guild wars with him and the oher towns involved.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thank you, and I agree, it was probably the single most important reason why I have almost 9 large into this game. The role play factor. I understand everyone that wants to have a glorified hyped up top o the line combat system and all the gadgets to go with it, but I want and expect this to be a role playing game, a place for all the role players that have been shut out and abused for so long now. We have an older age base which is very good and looks very promising. I will fight tooth and nail for these rights, and for role play to be rewarded, not be pushed aside for what any other game can offer. I role played in char on UO as many different characters. I played an orc, I played a militant guard, I played undead. UO had the cheesiest graphics and many bugs and flaws and exploits, but people played it because you could role play it. They still play it and pay for it, because it has a special place in their hearts. I want this world to be like that, I want it to be a world that will offer that to players. Not just put on a shelf and not givin any tools while combat and pvp takes the lead.

Time Lord, Xaronzon, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

My friend you just jerked a tear with that post. I am with you 100%. I just wish people would give RP a chance and they will stop caring about graphics, combat and or crafting and or being banned. Luckily we are not the minority in this game there are ALOT of RPers here tons of them. I have even seen LB and Darkstarr in charater during our welcome quests. So we have the upper hand here lets keep it that way.

Drop the pitchfork and reach for that +5 vorpal flaming 2 hander cuz its WAR!

Alexander, Gaelis and Filthy Peasant like this.
  9. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

these bas turds killed role playing!

One Zero likes this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The funny thing is that the most likely to abuse bans are RP,ers. And besides, a person should not have to buy a POT to enable great RP. Some say elitists ruined RP. it may better for RP to enable group organization control's for everyone. There will likely be more RP guilds than POTS, let's help them to.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

this thread is not about banning or player towns Tahru, did you mispost this here?

Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It was in response to duke William and make the point of elitists in RP.

Moonshadow and Filthy Peasant like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

ahh ok, well I understand then. For everyone following this lets keep it on topic after this post hehe

Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  14. Duke William of Serenite

I can tell you have kids, every once and a while they do need a good smack....

Anyways..

To stay on subject we can talk about why RP is dying or we can become more invoved with the existing RP community. Just in case you do not know.

This is where we have begun to have OOC discussions about future RP http://www.sotarp.org/. Bowen Bloodgod has sorta set himself up as the DM.

Also www.avatarscircle.com events watch for Pax Lair which has had a few plays which I will say are beyond entertaining and fun, and is a great place to meet like minded RPers.

Talking about Pax Lair, a big big cornerstone of the RP community is Governor Winfield of Paxlair. He brought with him a UO community interested in RP.

I think its important for us to work together so the RP can flow between communities.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Aye, I am aware :) I think its a great start :)

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I guess the reason why I chose those articles is because we need to know the problems of why, and deal with them however we can, and try not to fall into those traps. I really enjoy our dialog Duke William. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

*starts an appreciative slowclap*

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

That is not role playing. That is YOU playing a virtual character version of yourself + your hardware.

We call that FPS, or simulation via direct interface, like a flightsim, etc... Your skill 1:1 versus the current environment is just a game of skill, not roleplay.

Role playing is you taking on the persona of something/someone else -- their skills, not necessarily YOUR skills, in an attempt to "walk in someone else's shoes"

19. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I was a huge advocator of all things RP when the ideas started flowing into the forums at web-site launch. I haven't much since because most of the features we asked for are already in the game, for instance: the bars for barkeeps, bleachers and raised theatre seating for crowds. We also asked for stadium seating for plays, etc. These are already in the game as pre-alpha. I would not be surprised if we began to see even more RP supported items make their way into the game little by little. Imo, it is these spinal features that the game needs to be able to support as much RP as possible. Giving players the options to decide what kind of job they have, could be completely made up and still be relevant, depending on what they have strewn about in their establishment.

Honestly, I can walk into the middle of a large PvP battle and still successfully RP with a few respectable fellows.

*Bows*
    Have at thee!

I have also been following SotARP, I would say that the most potential with RP lies with that group because all player towns and guilds who wish to RP should start there, imo.

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Awesome! :) Look forward to future involvements!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.