Banning/Permissions Control List for Owners/Co-Owners

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Jan 16, 2015.

?

Should Player Town Owners be able to Ban?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

10.7%
  2. I want to be able to ban, but just for events, then they dont have to be banned anymore.

3.6%
  3. Banning is against the exploration of the game, and I may want to go to places where im not welcome.

10.7%
  4. No

39.3%
  5. Yes

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't want the blessing. That's why I removed it. Keep in mind there are many angry people out there who want this game to be pure PvP or have a separate PvP server.

If you start adding PvP free towns that is going to be a big problem. I'm not opposed to some little temple or a concert, but if you make towns PvP free then that defeats the purpose of the PvP flag and it creates a trammel town. NO THANKS.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I totally understand what you are saying. All I am suggesting is there might be a part of the people that never want to have to deal with PvP in the game. There are some vocal voices here on the forums that have stated this. This would be an option for those players and In my opinion if they have purchased a town, they should be able to set their town to this preference. No one would force anyone to go there and live PvP free, but it would be an option for those, widening the player base.

Themo Lock likes this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This poll is like asking senators to in-act term limits. :p

All these disputes could have been prevented by a clear direction prior to putting POT's on sale. People are just pissed because they did not buy what they thought. I regret even posting the other thread, because some have taken it far too personally.

Oh well, where is next fun topic. *looks around, wondering were the never ending PvP threads went*

Seriously I am just anxious for R14

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  4. E n v y I I

E n v y I I Avatar

Why is the banning of players from 'Player owned Towns' wrong?

I want to start by saying exactly what you purchase when you get a Player Owned Town or PoT. This information isn't based on speculation it is based on fact:

- Name of the Town
    - Basic location (quadrant plus the possibility of the Hidden vale) of the town on the map
    - Biome including an option for underground
    - Limited layout design based around pre-made scene templates (with a few tweaks here and there)
    - Control over 'x' number of player Lots
    - What type of Lots exist
    - Choice of NPC buildings
    - Choice to have the area PvP or Non-PvP
    - Ability to choose to link one PoT with another PoT

In a nutshell purchasing a PoT is purchasing the right to name a scene, have an element of design input as well as control over who gets to live there. At no point has anyone purchased a 'private' area or the ability to choose who can and who can't enter.

So why shouldn't 'owners' be able to choose who can enter?

- You would be excluding another player from public content
    These are towns that form part of the overall map. Despite what some may think, it is public content and will have its own attractions in one form or another. One of the biggest attractions within PoTs will be the community and the economy and whilst the Town is in an MMO state; it should remain open for all to visit and enjoy.

- Exploits
    Yes there will be many and it doesn't take that much imagination to realise that it could be used heavily in PvP situations (as things stands PvP can occur anywhere including 'non-pvp' areas provided players are flagged)

- Unfair Usage
    Sadly some players want a 'God Power' because they do intend to use it. Some will ban players they simply don't get on with regardless of whether the player has done anything wrong. Unfair usage can even be extended into a form of 'punishment' where a resident could be banned from the town and therefore unable to access his/her home and belongings.

But how do we stop harassment and griefing?

Given events that have already been held in-game, there has been very little griefing to write home about so I'm not quite sure why people are concerned that there is going to be a huge problem. Players need to remember that there are several tools available to deal with players that are causing problems.

- Banning from the house/lot
    My view is 'An Englishman's home is his castle', these are private areas and yes you can remove or ban people from them.

- Ignore players
    Very basic control and serves the purpose

- The game is 'Selective Multiplayer'
    Yes 'Selective' is the word. This is actually one of the USP's for Shroud of the Avatar; that being the intent to group like-minded players based upon friends/ignore lists together. I'm the first to say that this isn't in place yet; but please let us not forget one of the fundamental mechanics that will be in place.

- Friends Only
    I know that someone will flame me for even mentioning this but let's face it; if there is a small group of you, then this mode is perfect and will ensure that there will be no issues.

- Engage with the 'Griefer'
    At an appropriate time, why not talk to them? The result could well be surprising.

- Reporting
    The last resort when all else fails. If someone is breaking the ToS by harassment or any other form; report them. It is not the job of a 'player' to hand out punishment to other players that are breaking the ToS; it is the job of Portalarium.

Given all stated reasons, mechanics and tools available; I believe that there is no requirement for a PoT owner to be given any power in terms of who can enter the scene. No player should have the right or the power to exclude another. Exclusion is not what a real community is about.

"Power is always dangerous. Power attracts the worst and corrupts the best"
    Edward Abbey

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Enemies shouldn't just walk into our homes. However this also treads dangerous ground with many of the Hard Core PvPers. although I do admit that many of the people who are interested in shroud are willing to make some compromises. It is still a bit iffy.

Think about it this way... a player loves to PvP in his home town... why??? because when he's in trouble he hops back over the wall into his PvP free lot because he doesn't need to place a house he could place a workshop that doesn't require a person to open a door. He can just hop the fence and walk into his workshop and his enemies can see him and he can see them and talk all kinds of smack.

See why I'm a bit concerned about that?

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

We already have a "trammel by people not flagging. What is the difference. You do not have to go to the town. *shrugs* Or you could go there and meet people and understand them, and like them for the people they are.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This is not a hard core pvp based game Isaiah. There are all kinds of elements here, and we need to be inclusive to all of them.

8. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

Why would they ever have to deal with PvP? Just because somebody is flagged for PvP and gets attacked why should that bother anybody else? It will not likely happen if the people coming in and out of your town are non pvpers.

If two players that are flagged for PvP come into your town and get in a fight how does that hurt the person who is not flagged for PvP?

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I'm not going off on a tangent here to debate this. We can in a pvp thread if you want.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't mind if other people don't want to participate in PvP, but I specifically signed up for PvP and you are saying that my game experience should be switched off? Why? I don't see the incentive.

I can understand having PvP only zones. this is to make sure that anybody who enter that zone is subject to attack because this is a dangerous area. The reverse though doesn't seem to make sense. Other than situations like concert halls I don't see a reason to turn off an explicit PvP flag.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There was also a request for people to offer ideas and requests for changes and additions to PoT's. You are interested in changes to them yourself, just not this particular feature. Using terms like "God Power" to emphasise what you want is fine from your perspective but seems strange to others since there is nothing divine about refusing people entry to private property. And yes i know you disagree that it is private property but many of us bought the things because they are advertised and even named as such. This thread in particular is a discussion on how we would like to see such features implemented and an attempt at finding a solution to keep the majority happy.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

can we take this to a pvp thread as not to derail this further please.

13. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

*grabs popcorn*

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I do yes, the last thing i want is a quickly accessible sanctuary that can be hopped in and out of.

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Last word
    we are also on that tangent, but I personally don't advocate taking this to any PvP thread because this has been expressed for two years in those threads. PvP free zones are not going to be acceptable. If they want to add them just let the game have negative press and go on with it. Why debate it? If they do such a stiff necked move after all the PvP talk then the game deserves more negative PvP fallout.

I don't want to go off topic any longer either. I'm done.

16. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

There were several interesting ideas that came out of this though.

If a city has a person running through it with a 'contested' artifact, regardless if it's a player owned town or not, that person is able to be killed for their item. It's totally a feature of the game. I don't believe there will be any true PvP free zones except for the FPO or SPO experiences. Zones that aren't flagged for PvP won't be PvP-free, just wont be able to attack 'everyone' in the town, and people with pvp flags will be able to be attacked by a person who is flagged for pvp.

This is where the banning comes back into play, if someone's fighting right in the middle of your flower garden and you cannot place a flower pot because they are trampling over them and making you miss your mark, then ban them from your home.

If the individual/s are still fighting and they make their way over to the Encore Stage where a silent play is being acted out by emotes or what-have-you, maybe everyone will get pissed, maybe not. The problem with this is that it's a roaming battle so it probably wont be much of a problem. Someone jumps onstage and just makes fart noises the entire time. What happens then? We probably shouldn't ban them because they might be part of the show, and then we could ban them anyway for making fart noises.

If the person is on-stage berating everyone and swearing, etc. we collectively mute and carry on, they continue to make fart noises. This deserves a ban.

Isaiah [MGT] and Filthy Peasant like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would say that this scenario would have to be approved by the town leadership, if it where a player town that would be hosting said event. Not sure about public towns, they are on their own. Knowing that if they did not have permission for this event for this town then it could be considered griefing. Its unlikly that the event would not be advertised. If its just practice and if the player town owner knows this happens all the time then I dont think it would be a big deal.

18. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

We should get more scenarios going. Be as outlandish or on point as you would like lol.

Isaiah [MGT] and Filthy Peasant like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Exactly, there will be at least 80 player towns. Its not like there will be no where to go haha. Why not let the town owners have their piece of mind. Hell they bought and payed for it. :) I dont know if you have a town but if you did sounds like a great scenario to run in it!

20. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

It got me thinking, what kind of features would we like to have in special circumstances like a guildmate that is being removed from the guild and they just so happen to have stolen items from the guild-bank, they are stored in his house that is in the guild's POT.

17-yes
    15-no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.