This place is quiet...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Very true post, it's really sad..

2. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

I think and hope more people are trying out PvP and getting to enjoy it, myself included. I only started trying PvP on New Years eve and the few times I ran into you guys (whenever I flagg) it is always a lot of fun. Last night when you kindly gave me that chest piece it was for Night Fury who came to the Brave Coast for the first time with Tokyo. We messed about with our builds and even ganged up and killed a couple of solo PvP flagged chars that happened to arrive on the Island... Funny, it was us that did the ganking and it was great! Then 2 SOS turned up and we were given the spanking we deserve.

Also, the other night I flagged and no-one from OOV was on so I zoned to Swampy expecting death. I happened to arrive in a basement, not knowing where I was and was promptly killed by a couple of the decent folk in Braemar - who thought I was SOS. Little did I know that I zoned in on Swampy just as SOS were raiding the Arena Hotel.

I for one am grateful SOS are around and active. They kill me a lot but whenever I flag they are always up for a fight :D

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  3. Kitten

Kitten Avatar

=^..^=
    Do not worry Heavy Smoker.. Some of us may look sweet and fluffy but we still love to pvp w/o hand holding.

*hisses*

~sharpens claws~

4. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Now *this* is a kitten I can support! cute, cuddly and fluffy... one wrong turn and its claws to the face. I think i like it ;)

Miracle Dragon, Kitten and Tahru like this.
  5. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

I generally hesitate to step in to the middle of a PvP versus non-PvP discussion, because the high tensions usually make things difficult. Still, I want to point something out:

The Selective Multiplayer system that the SotA team has planned is going to effectively subdivide the world, if it ends up working as previously described.

As an outsider to Portalarium, I can't say anything for certain, but - It makes a certain degree of logical sense that the Selective Multiplayer mode would allow people who want to always remain flagged for PvP to only see other people who also flagged PvP. I think it would be a very simple thing for Portalarium to make it so. Heck, it could be a check box in your configuration: "Make this character permanently PvP flagged and filter the non PvP players from view" or something of that nature. Maybe you could allow that setting to be superseded if someone is on your Friends list. Maybe that could be an option as well?

It seems to me that those who want an intense PvP experience where every person they see is a potential threat would be easy to accomplish using Selective Multiplayer. All you would need, really, is for enough PvP players to populate the world to make it fun.

Now, I could be entirely wrong about this, my assumptions could be way off base, and Portalarium could have said at some point that they won't be doing this. If so, I managed to miss it. Let me know if my thinking is flawed.

Tahru, Miracle Dragon and Amberraine like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Quoted without comment.

Tahru likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's an oft touted theory, and a reality dreamt of by a large percentage of the PvP community active here. Personally, I want to see PvP, though I likely won't participate, and would think it a shame if the theory were to become the reality.

However, without some acknowledgement from Portalarium that this is the intent of the Selective Multiplayer matchmaking algorithm, it will remain a theory. Personally, while I think the PvP flag (or lack thereof) will be a heavily weighted factor, I don't believe that a PvP flagged player will never see a non-PvP flagged player. Would they spawn two instances of a scene that contains 2 players, one flagged, and one not?

Tahru likes this.
  8. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

That's one thing I didn't factor in to my thinking - Non PvP players who would prefer to be able to view PvP conflicts without being involved in them. There are a variety of reasons that would be fun, and a variety of reasons that could be exploited as well. Having seen many a vigorous PvP conflict over control points and the like before, it would definitely be a bit questionable to have a non PvP flagged person who can walk unmolested through the area around a contested PvP control point. The non PvP player could and "report back" to their teammates via third party voice chat or something regarding the position and tactics and numbers of their opponents. Further reflection, though, makes me think that this issue could be fixed by simply not allowing people to zone in to a PvP centric area without being PvP flagged. (We already have that functionality in place in some zones, so it seems likely that will remain the case) I would think that other generic areas that are not PvP specific would probably not be negatively impacted by non flagged members being able to observe PvP, though. (Due to the lack of objectives to seize or defend in those areas, there is no tactical advantage to unrestricted observation)

No matter how you look at it, the play styles between a dedicated PvP player and a PvE only player are significantly divergent and I don't think a perfect system can be created to manage the differences. A very good one, yes, but not perfect.

You're right - I agree that at this point in development we are talking mostly about theories and little else. I haven't seen a great deal of discussion about the fine details of Selective Multiplayer, and we don't really know how it will work. With this in mind, I think that the old and wise words of John Lydgate are likely to rule the day here:

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Whatever decision Portalarium makes regarding this, I expect it to be the one that will make the greatest number of people happy. Undoubtedly, there will be a subset of people who are not happy. I think in the meantime the right thing for all of us to do is express our opinions and preferences without rancor. It is easy to get drawn in to a conflict and for that conflict to degenerate into a morrass of gunk that culminates in moderation and bans, but none of that stuff is going to be of benefit to the community or Portalarium. In fact, I think it embarrasses us (the community) as a whole and makes them take our input less seriously overall.

It's not really possible for us to each remove our bias from our opinions. After all, our bias is formed by our experiences and those experiences are of value, even when others do not agree with them. That said, if we want those opinions to be taken seriously, they need to be presented in a clear fashion, without a devolution into logical fallacies, broad generalizations, and angry posts. (I am not pointing these comments this to you personally, Rufus; I don't believe that you behave in this fashion. This is just my general observation based on much of the conflict and mud slinging I have seen on the forums rather often, especially when the PvE/Roleplayer versus PvP subject is discussed.)

Skidd Vortex and Tahru like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Posted Friday... Last post in forum on Tuesday...
    [​IMG]

10. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

This can't happen because you are flagged when entering PvP zones.
    Contested control points wouldn't be in normal zones.

11. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

Yes; I mentioned that a few sentences later in the post you quoted. I'm just hoping that we can all come up with a method that makes works well for the largest amount of players.

12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Maybe it's a perception issue? What was post count a year ago this time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.