Character Creation and Content, from the Character Art Devs

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Qball, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Part 2? :)

Myrcello likes this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I believe that Unity 5 they said will help with the cloth armor/clothing :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I believe they're getting better cloth physics in Unity 5, which can also be applied to hair/beards, etc.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hey All,
    I just wanted to drop a line and say that I am still here! I haven't got a chance to get on and talk to you all, or finish the 2nd part of the post because we have been slammed since after the New Year getting stuff ready for this Release. A post like the one I did before takes a bunch of time to get ready, so I hope you understand if I am behind on it.

Anyway enjoy the release.

Qball

Mata, Ice Queen, monxter and 11 others like this.
  5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Nothing wrong with getting a little behind.
    Whenever you have time is good.

6. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

Thanks, Qball. We *do* understand and appreciate everything you're doing!

7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I hadn't seen the original post until today. We appreciate all your hard work for sure. Having read it, now I'm a bit concerned about the project though.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Just curious, could you say more about what you are concerned about please. lol:)

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Let me send you a pm I don't want to derail a topic. :)

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I just wanted to ask @Qball: What is the general goal to achieve with the character creation tools? There are a wide range of games that have simple to mind blowing character creation tools. Could you give us examples with actual games? (i think TERA would be an achievable goal, maybe i am wrong).

As to the actual SOTA character creation tool, i think i is getting good (my guess is that you are waiting Unity five to work on more features). I hope to see implemented in the future:

Aging signs like wrinkles (very important IMO, considering average age of your bakers xD).
    Facial Scars/tattoos.
    Body Tattoos/scars.
    More Hair styles! (a lot of different styles of short hair, a few long hair)
    Different schemes of facial hair (facial re skinning, not 3d beards, we need a lot of them!).
    Better 3D Hair textures (It is a matter of taste, FFXIV multi layered hair or the compact with good texture TERA hair?)
    Make up for girls (In SOTA Man can wear dresses so it would not be strange if you let man use make up too :p)
    Different voices (will they even be inplemented? Yes, please?).
    Different body complexion (i could live without it)
    Different pre builds to choose (there is a lot of lazy people)

11. Qball

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a note in here and tell you all I am finally working on the second part of the Character Creation post. It won't be ready for a bit unless I have a crazy night, or I get snowed in… Either way it is being worked on and coming soon.

I do have a question though: I'd like to know if there are anything specifically you’d like to know? (Answers to Akro in following post)

I was thinking it would be a quick (relative) illustrative post on process. This could give you a better understanding of how we go about creating an asset. I'd give you explanations of what each asset consists of, what I was thinking when creating it, what and why we have limitations as we process assets down to the game. I will give you rough amounts of time certain parts of the process, and so on.

So any specific questions you have already I can answer them in the post as I writing it.

Qball

12. JaymoSotA

JaymoSotA Avatar

Is what the Fun Pimps did with the character creation in 7 Days to Die considered ambitious for Unity? Is it inspirational at all or no great feat? Just wondering because it seems like a very complicated time consuming undertaking.

13. Qball

This is a bigger question, than it may seem. Every "tool" we make for the end user is a "system" that has to be created in the engine. I will go more into that in the post I spoke about above. For now I will your questions in short and sweet form.
    - Aging - Not for episode 1 launch. We have too many other things to get right first:). It could be possible in the future so the doors not closed
    - Scars/Tatoos- Not for episode 1 launch. Much like aging it is another system that can be done, but needs to wait...
    - More Hair Styles - Absolutely
    - Beards - This release has beards that we feel is a step in the right direction for this. There is one more system we are looking into but what we have now has a few more tricks coming next release
    - Hair - Now that the tech we used for beards are available we will be implementing that to the hair
    - Make up - Not for episode 1 launch. This is the same as scaring and aging. Essentially the same tech....
    - Voices - These are out of my wheel house
    - Bodies - Not for episode 1 launch. We never found a tech that would be efficient with for the scope if the game...I am sure we will keep looking
    - Pre Builds - This is something that would be done more on the design/code side so it may be something for later.

Thanks for your questions and patience, keep em coming,
    Geoff

Mata, Isaiah, Koldar and 4 others like this.
  14. Qball

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a note in here and tell you all I am finally working on the second part of the Character Creation post. It won't be ready for a bit unless I have a crazy night, or I get snowed in… Either way it is being worked on and coming soon.

I do have a question though: I'd like to know if there are anything specifically you’d like to know? This is extremely complicated process and putting it down on paper without leaving even general systems out is daunting. I want you all to understand what we are doing and why things take the time they do. (Even more so writing them down:p.)

I was thinking it would be a quick (relative) illustrative post on process. This could give you a better understanding of how we go about creating an asset, for example the new male head. I'd give you explanations of what each asset consists of, what I was thinking when creating it, what and why we have limitations as we process down assets down to the game. I will give you rough amounts of time certain parts of the process, and so on.

What I would love to do is write you a Bi-weekly post on specific parts of the process. This way I could get questions on specific details about any certain week’s post, but we just don't have the time, and I don't want to promise something I can't deliver

Thanks all

Qball

15. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Will the goatee get some love between now and R17? :D

16. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

How about facial scars? not big ones, just a healed injury.. i think it displays part of the Characters Past and Presence.
    Like a Knight with a scar on his cheek or chin, a thief with a few scars on his hands, etc.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    broken noses, missing teeth and black eyes too. Lots of customization could be done :)

Moonshadow likes this.
  18. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Wow, Qball, it's great to hear from you! Always an honor to get a peak through the window into game development.

1. I'd like to know how you feel about the process you've been going through with SotA, compared to your experiences with other games throughout your career.

2. In your role on the development team, have you found any advantages or opportunities in the way SotA is developing alongside its community?

3. I like numbers. Any numbers you can share in your asset example would be great.

4. This may not be your department, but would it be difficult to get the character creation portion of the game offline, allowing us to create tons of characters offline, maybe allow us to place them in the chicken room or some small scene like it while offline as well, and just upload the toon we like best into our online account at the creation screen? (even just being able to get the practice while offline would be fantastic). ;)

That's all I can think of for questions right now. Looking forward to the post! I think your work so far has been fantastic!

19. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Thanks Qball, i appreciate you took the time to answer :). Maybe it is out of your wheel house too, but if more features will be added to character creation for the next episodes there will be the possibility to alter an existing character?.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Will we get more hair color possibilities? True red, dark hair with grey on the sides, and female hair with a single grey streak in the front like Lily Munster .... stuff like that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.