Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Griefers blocking hat quest hopefuls?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Bubonic, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm if you are referring to the OP then those PvP'rs have put out vids of doing precisely that???
    You can see people entering in starter gear and get annihilated.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I don't think SPO makes any difference, after all it IS a PvP zone AND it does warn you when entering... All I know is I'm on Pacific time zone and there was nobody around when I went in, but the plants were deadly and have an extremely long range of attack...

If you're interested, the tour guide is straight up on the crater rim, just run past anything and click him quick, just as long as he responds, you're finished...

3. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I was told that being killed in that area being a really low level, isn't greifing, but trying to run away from the area and getting killed is. Hmm. I'm not entirely sure. :/ Also, we were told that SPO will not be available in pvp areas sooner than later.

Noctiflora likes this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Actually... there are already multiple videos of "PvP'ers" doing EXACTLY what people are getting mad about... From almost as soon as you could attack other avatars.

5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

SPO warns you, but there are still zero other players in the zone... been there a few times in that mode.

6. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I would say being a low level and dieing in a PVP area is more a fact of life.

PVP is not something to be taken lightly, there is no agro range to run out of.

There are a few game mechanics currently in game that really need to be changed.

1) Zoning into a PVP area, I am very aware I'm about to be attacked and so would my character. Entering that area with weapon sheathed and out of combat mode is pretty stupid. And yet that's what the system defaults my character to.
    2) Predictable zone in area and zero neutral territory allowing campers to attack people before they can even think about defending themselves. That's just ripe for griefing! Also, for people who want to encourage PVE players to try PVP that's a pretty poor design.
    3) Rez area mob/PVP active. Another really bad design decision> Notrhing worse then rezzing with a death penalty and minimum focus/life and being off'd by a mob or PVPer just camping there.

7. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yeah, that one was a really rude surprise for me, when combined with putting items in those areas. There are many things I like about this game. There are also many things I don't like about this game. Most are not game/deal breakers for me.

Gating rares and collectibles behind pvp, however, would be a total and complete game breaker for me. Since we will not be able to enter those areas in SPO after release to avoid pvp, anything put in those areas will be "gated" behind pvp no matter what they choose to call it.

Pvp-specific items, like they said in one of the posts or interviews, fine, I don't care. Non pvp-specific items being denied to non-pvp collectors, decorators, crafters, etc unless they submit themselves to pvp..........unacceptable.

I just really hope they are not seriously planning to do this, or if they are, that they will reconsider.

And as I said in another post, if they really are planning this and have no intentions of changing it, then they would be well advised to start letting people know this in plain, unambiguous language, before they spend their money.

<I know there's one born every day, but no one likes finding out they've been one.>

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Why shouldn't PvPers get decorative and collectable items from PvP areas? they have to PvE to get the PvE versions, which many of them have no interest in. As long as the best functional gear doesn't come from there, nobody should have any issues with it.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

There is going to be enough awesome decorative and collectible items to go around and far too many to collect. At least that is what I am hoping for. :)

10. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

No reason at all, why not. I have no problem with it if the items are also available in both type areas, or if we can go in via SPO, etc. To be honest, if I was a pvper with less than zero interest in pve, I'd be chapped if I had to pve some boss monster for a pvp-specific item. Same principle.

edit:
    The problem arises when the intent of the placement is to "entice" (read: force/coerce) someone to play a style that is anathema to them. Not to mention, they never advertised to the pvpers that this game was pvp-centric and they'd never be forced to pve. lol

4EverLost, sgt pEppEr and Tahru like this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Themo I think its because that would lead into a huge slippery slope. I think the premise behind the argument would be that you are subjecting people to have to pvp in order to get something. In this game everything has to be able to get being consentual. Even if its rare on the pve side, it has to be available.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Wait wait wait, i don't agree on that at all. Collectables and decorative gear do not affect game play at all, it is a very good way to both temp PvPer into PvE (and vice versa) and to encourage trade between the groups. If you could unly get say.. a crucified skeleton for your front lawn from within an open PvP zone, and you could only get the bone throne from fighting mobs in the sewers... then that crucified skeleton instantly has value and so does the throne. Putting something shiny in the PvP zone is exactly what should be happening, it forces nothing and provides incentive.

4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  13. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I can only say that I don't like, and I don't play, games that gate pve content behind pvp in some misguided attempt to get me to pvp. I have better things to do and other games to play. We all have our "thing." That's one of mine.

4EverLost, sgt pEppEr, Syylk and 2 others like this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually I am guilty of one low level kills. I went to the shardfall today and some dude started walking up tentatively. I wasn't even ready yet, and then bang I got hit by a root so I started shooting at him. Turns out the root came from the plant.

Scouts honor. I even confessed to my guild. I killed him after a fire arrow + death ray combo and a fire arrow, and my auto attack. Then I realized I was getting hit by the plant behind me because I was too close. The guy was near death so easily it was too late for me to stop. I am not use to stopping in the middle of being rooted and shot at... I didn't realize it until it was over.

FYI -- I messaged the guy after the fact but it said he logged off.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Busker

Busker Avatar

I'm new to all of this but I actually like open world pvp, it just takes a different mindset and a good system in place to promote fairness. I want a game world to feel alive. I don't believe that is possible to adventure without actual risk. For me risk means willing to lose something of value. So I don't see how having items in an open pop zone is a bad idea. I think it is excellent in fact. This way we can have more roles in game such as players guiding groups through dangerous zones, mercenaries, caravans. Imagine a merchant who can have a more profitable trade route by risking travel through a pvp zone. Think of the emergent stories possible from such risks. I think allowing single player through this zone will just defeat their purpose in the first place and would move this game towards an artificial experience rather than a living one.

gtesser, A Ghost and Tahru like this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Although this is the last release I will personally accept the word griefing in the same sentence as shardfall. Once a person enters it is fair game there. If anybody dies in a shard fall after this hat guy is gone... don't come to the forums crying your eyes out!

The shardfall area is not just dangerous from PvP but those plants make it treacherous. You could be winning a fight and the plant could all of a sudden wake up and start rooting you and shooting you. Tables can turn there. Also players might use the plants as strategic barriers while gathering materials. If they know that an attacker will take heavy fire if they approach you from a certain direction they can mine and wait for them to get targeted, then rush in and attack and loot that would be attacker.

Shard falls will be more dangerous than flagging for PvP on its own. If the resources are as plentiful and as valuable as they should be, then this place will take Player vs Player to the next level. Just being good at PvP might not be what is important here. Only the experienced and savvy will be successful.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.