Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SPO should be turned of immediately for Shardfalls and other PVP areas

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It was in todays Dev Hangout video should be up by now:

Noctiflora and Tahru like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't recall any such statement. Certainly no example resource was given. So what exactly would someone have to buy?

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The way I look at it is the shardfall is indeed important to the lore and they are really dangerous. People who aren't willing to take the risk won't go. Those who are will try.

The truth is we will likely need the help of guilds and alliances to be successful there. There will likely be a few very resourceful people who can do it solo. Maybe stealth and teleporting might be a way of doing this solo. Who knows.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    give me a bit and I will try to find the spot in the video. To much going on and my internet is crappin out on me right now lol.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

You need to finish decorating your basement.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I keep getting disconnected :(

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The Dev's also said in an older hangout that "there would never be exclusive resources only found in PvP zones", that these resources, although in smaller quantities, would be found elsewhere too...

So this argument is Mute and pointless, as I doubt the Dev's will continue to place "exclusive" tour guides in zones only PvPers would enter, forcing non-PvPers to complete the quest by entering PvP zones is NOT what I signed up for... I completed this Grand Tour in SPO and you PvPers got miffed over it, WoW what a surprise...

Once again I say YES, what could go wrong, Nothing... You stay in your area, and I'll stay in mine... Why doesn't that make you happy?

8. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Ok, so I just watched it and here is what I came away with. While they tried to skirt the issue of putting the hats (and other similar) in the pvp zones and blocking spo from entering, Chris added, what to me was probably the most telling statement. He came right out and said that they want to prevent people from being able to avoid pvp to get the hats.

I guess I should thank them for finally coming right out and saying what I have been suspecting for the last 6 months and they've been hedging & hawing about, but refusing to say. This is a game that is heavily biased to pvp. They'll make a few concessions to hopefully mollify enough non-pvp people to keep it viable. But ultimately they want everybody to pvp and the pvp aspect of the game will always get priority.

This has pretty much told me all I needed to know about the general mindset of the company and the trend this game will continue to follow. If someone wants the full game, and get all the collectibles, and see all the areas, they will have to pvp.

<How dare those silly non-pvp people try to avoid pvp. Even if it is to get a hat that will a collectible item. Better to let the pvpers corner the market and make a lot of gold>

Guess P.T. Barnum was right all those years ago.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's painting a very broad picture with a small brush. If that statement is accurate we're talking about tour guide hats that won't be around after launch. Technically that statement (assuming it's accurate) doesn't apply to anything BUT the hats.. What is the time in the video where this statement was made?

Heradite likes this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I agree with your interpretation. I don't know the motivations nor whether it will prove to be the best or worst decision, but I am happy to have one.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  11. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Somewhere in the middle. They skirted the issue and didn't really answer the question, then they moved on, and then Chris went back to it to clarify a point. That point, I believe. That's all I can tell you. I don't really care to sift through it.

As for the broad strokes, it's not just this. It's a growing conviction that has been forming in me for the last 6 months with a lot of little parts over time that add up to a big, steaming whole.

docdoom77 likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well, as a non-PvPer myself I can't say I agree with that assessment.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

If its part of the story & lore of the game world that these areas are PvP areas then I don't have an issue with it.

Beyond that, I don't buy into the PvP-chauvinism that there's no risk outside of PvP.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've no issue with PvP zones at all. It's the idea of non-PvPers being pushed to go there for something exclusive that's off. That is assuming that is ever the case, which so far is doubtful.

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

1:02:45> Firelotus: ...question queued up from the website comes from Baron Drocis. He wants to know if people in single player online mode will be required to accept PvP or be locked out of the Shardfalls and other PvP-only areas.

Chris: Uhhh... yes, that is the plan. I don't think there is a (???) planned for it yet (Starr shakes his head to the negative), I think it will probably get in fro R16, though, because there is going to be some other... related-type stuff that happens. But yes, if you're in single player online, and you try to go into a PvP area, you will basically get a warning saying you are going in to a shared environment, basically warning the single player guys not only is this a PvP zone you're going (garbled... and here is where the "we should be having a deep dive on pvp sometime dance starts...)

Not a lot of skirting there, except the phrase "that is the plan" (which is always countered with DLMB when we refer back to things like this hangout after they change the plan...).

If you are in SPO, and try to enter a shardfall or other PvP zone, you will be given a warning similar to entering the arena. If you proceed, you will be forced into a zone shared with other players (despite the preference you chose when logging in) that has PvP enabled.

...or at least, that is the plan

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ok In this segment Chris states that a player will be locked out of the shardfalls in single player online.
    Start at 1:2:42

Now earlier today I was re-watching some Dev Hangouts and Might have gotten this mixed up with today, but It was certainly stated here that they want you to either pvp or buy the rare mats from a vendor of some one who went and got the mats and states that there would definitely be a disadvantage.
    Start at 26:55

Edit: Did not see that Lord Tachys al`Fahn had posted the first link above.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's pretty vague. Now if they had said certain rare resources can ONLY be found in PvP zones.... and even better if they actually gave an example of a specific resource..

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Who are you replying too?

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well you're the one saying they're talking about having people PvP for resources or buy them from others. :)

20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Chris goes on in the second, earlier video, to iterate the question that should have been asked, which was will there be any resource I cannot get as a single player, non-pvp, etc... and the answer is, you can get any resource, but you may have to have others get it for you or acquire it through the market. They danced around it somewhat, but to me, the answer is clear:

There will be resources (they haven't named) you will ONLY be able to acquire directly within PvP zones.

You want them? Suck it up, buttercup, and either head to the market, or strap on your swordbelt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.