Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SPO should be turned of immediately for Shardfalls and other PVP areas

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Thats what I get out of it also. So to sum it up we not only cannot go into the area unless it is in multiplayer pvp, we cannot get the rare resources anywhere but there, and are excluded from an area.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Will believe that one when I see it.. post launch.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

that's fine... but as of right now, it is the words right out of their mouth (even RG's), and when next release hits, the aim of their actions.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So far those words sound very un-definitive.

5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

*shrugs* Not in my ears. The only thing they didn't specify was the resource(s). Can probably guess at them though... Look at the recipes you can't make because the materials aren't spawning in game yet.

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

To be honest, let me go on the record as having said it only bugs me, because they have made these statements without having first fixed the core problem with instances and PvP: They know where you live! Or, at least, where you have to spawn!

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is probably accurate, but you make it sound so bad. Maybe it will be bad, or maybe it will be the reason we will come to love it more. I have read so many post from UO players that reminisce about the most hostile times past and I envy them. The best experiences I have were from playing multiplier DOOM inside an IBM lab on a token ring network and then vanilla WoW. When I first played those games, they were really thrilling. There can only be one first experience.

It could be true that the mix the devs are going for will add just enough edge to make this game lunge beyond that of the modern day sandbox and the theme-park MMO's and avoid the shallow suckiness of pure PvP games. These guys are not rookies, so I can't help but hope magic could happen here. Only time will tell.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Well I really hope it works out good. From what I have seen in the past though I can draw a conclusion from my predictions. Hopefully I am wrong, I have been before :) What I see is the pvp guilds getting rewarded which in itself is not bad. But, where is the balance? PvE gets to look at the losing side of this equation if it is like it seems. Is there a benefit for pve that pvp does not get? There sure is a benefit for pvp that pve does not get. What would balance the scales and make it not so subordinate? This is only my main concern. We should be able to visit the shardfall in single player even if it has regular resources. We should be able to get any rare resource in game without going into a pvp zone. It might even be rare to get in pve areas, but it should be possible.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I thought it was already pretty well established from the FAQ that these areas would only be available in Multiplayer Online. That's why I always planned to ignore them. I just want to know how they will work in Single Player Offline but as always, we get absolutely zero information on how that part of the game is going to work.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

We did get a clarification that SP offline will not be forced to go online to enter. It is my understanding that there are essentially two mutually exclusive modes of either offline and online and avatars (and their possessions) will not be shared between them. Single player online, in principle, just means you are playing the MMO without seeing the other players. Single player online is a special case of selective multi-player instancing.

That does not speak to your key point about not getting information about single player offline though.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I see nothing about shardfalls in the FAQ. Can you point me the link? Is it under the combat section?

12. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Right. And if it does exist in single-player offline mode then Bowen is wrong. They didn't take this decision to be lazy: they will have to create a PVE-only mode of the map anyways. They then did this because they want to force multiplayer players to PVP...something offline players can't be forced to do. If you can't access the shardfall scenes at all then that's even more concerning.

13. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Well not the FAQ but in the PVP thread.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Thank you for this link, it does help, although it is confusing as it does conflict with what Chris said, but I will take this post for what is real.

• PVP Zones: Volcanic eruptions and meteoric strikes on the map will create a mix of predefined areas and random areas that will be flagged as open PVP, meaning anyone entering that zone is flagged as PVP. These zones will have the following characteristics:
      • The rarest resources and rarest creatures will be more abundant in PVP Zones. (IMPORTANT NOTE: These resources and creatures also appear in PVE zones)
      • PVP specific resources for making PVP specific items.
      • PVP specific trainers, although there are issues we anticipate with quest givers getting camped, so we will work on solutions for this.
      • PVP specific quests, including the quest from the Oracle which flags the player as open PVP.
      • PVP Zones are currently planned to only be accessible in Open Multiplayer since playing them in Friend Only or Single Player Online modes would be an easy way to circumvent PVP.
      • A confirmation dialogue appears before entry into any and all PVP maps. This confirmation is also triggered during login if you logged out in a zone that has temporarily become PVP, at which time you can opt to login to the overworld map.

Archibald Leatherneck and Tahru like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is kind of off the rails, the pure PvP crowd have never been happy here and most of them don't play.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Well on resources, he said you can buy them. I imagine you would be buying them in PVE zones so technically he didn't lie. :p

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

There ya go dashing my hopes again! :p

docdoom77 and Heradite like this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

They need to solve Forced PvP zones (like Shardfalls) in Single Player Online and Single Player Offine in the same way they need to solve it for Control Points. Do those scenes even make any sense in offline? Yes, if they are tied to the story.

They have gone back and forth on how contested resource zones like Shardfalls operate. Previously they have said you can enter it in SPO but there wouldn't be any resources. They are simply revisiting those decisions and will open the conversation back up with Dev+ first.

So specifically for Shardfalls, my current thinking is that you should be able to enter it in SPO but the resources simply do not spawn. They can choose to spawn MOBs instead to keep things interesting but those resources still would not spawn. In Single Player Offline, the resources would spawn and MOBs would be protecting/roaming the area.

19. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Pft. You're joking, right? The post of people who loved pre trammel UO are all pvpers. I hated it so bad that I quit and didn't go back until after Trammel. In fact, hate is not even a strong enough word. If I gave my real opinion of early UO I'd be banned from this forum because I just can't say it nicely.

20. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Exactly. And this is exactly what is absolutely unacceptable to me and what they've been trying to avoid admitting all this time. I am more than livid about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.