Bards: would you participate in a compilation album?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Athens, Jan 23, 2015.

?

Would you participate in a compilation album?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2015.
  1. I would run one

33.3%
  2. I would submit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nah.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm not even a musician

66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athens

Athens Avatar

So, I have seen these run in other music scenes. They are quite fun to participate in. Right now, there seems to be a music scene in this community (or demand for it). So I want to see if anyone would be interested in submitting to (or running) a compilation album.

How do they work?
    Generally, one person starts a thread announcing that they will run a compilation album. They state the theme, rules, deadline and other info about the event. Other musicians create songs and submit to the album.
    The end result is a album by various artists filled with good music.

What kind of music?
    SotA themed music naturally.

Who would run this?
    If enough musicians respond, than I might run one.
    It would also be my time running one, so I would need a co-pilot.
    If a large number of people want to participate, than a judge panel would also be present.

Where would all this happen?
    The thread will either be posted in the Bards and Poets circle or here in the Fire Lotus Tavern.
    The album would be hosted on BandCamp at "name your price". All funds would go to charity.

When would it happen?
    The event would take place from mid-February to mid-May.

What do I need to do?
    Right now, answer the poll.
    If one takes place, then you just need to make music.

Why would I do this?
    For fun, why else?

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hi Athens, this is a fantastic idea. I'm not a musician but would like to see something like this occur.

3. Holt

Holt Avatar

It's a great idea. Head over to Poets' Circle at http://poetscircle.net and see what we have already put together in terms of soundcloud playlists, spotlights, interviews.

Bandcamp just recently released 'labels' and I was thinking of starting one for Poets' Circle, as some of the more prolific bards with our Guild have a lot of music on the soundtrack and a lot of music of their own that is equally phenomenal.

Shoot me a PM and we can discuss your ideas and what you had in mind. I can also let you know about some of the challenges we've already faced, from a leadership perspective.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Busker

Busker Avatar

I'll see what I can come up with on my steel string but I'm thinking that a classical guitar or a lute would do a better job.

Veylen The AenigmA and Tahru like this.
  5. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I would particpate of course :) anything to spread the word about shroud and by extension us :)

i know i havent been around much guys, but that was my own fault for not thinking before i type, thats a phrase few ever actually do for us fast sloppy typers.
    i was also wanting to thank you guys/gals and Sirs for continually accepting me, like a diamond in the rough im moved by people who see my music and enjoy it. I am still trying to get some new tracks out but i need more parameters on what is to be expected. such as.

does it need drums? i can do that to a certain extend quickly, but without guitar. most importantly the BPM.

for guitarists: do i need to use standard tunings? alternate tunings are very interesting but can be confusing with all the chord structure changes. personally baroque tunings are nice to my ear.

sometimes i get analysis paralasis between making what i THINK the listeners would like and what is actually NEEDED. I have sparks of creativity all the time, but the trick is to get it recorded in a format others can contribute to that is acceptable. I only have a guitar and maschine 1.6, working in the studio. it is EXPENSIVE. If anyone would like to discuss things like studio monitors for recording and audio interfaces which i have, behringer UR22 is my audio interface, still deciding on my last purchase, a studio monitor. in summation, if anyone would like to have a polite discussion about the points mentioned here, im all ears, for when the spark of creation strikes someone who hears your music, you know you truly have talent, imo :)
    ty

Tahru likes this.
  6. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

My son and I can provide some supporting vocals. We do Barbershop. I sing Bass (with a low D flat). He's a Baritone that's singing Lead ATM. Not much in the way of heavy recording equipment though.

Veylen The AenigmA and Tahru like this.
  7. Veylen The AenigmA

i think barbershop vocalists are very talented, kudos to you. i never tried singing other than in my room alone. i am trying to focus on one thing at a time. I dont have the equip either, just gonna try and get a studio monitor. this setup has been really expensive, i had to prioritize i started with a pc, a good guitar/amp(subjective:p), and an audio interface.. nothing in the way of software i have to use free recording programs that i can teach myself. the easiest for me that i've tried was cakewalk, hence the name i guess.

i'll be posting mostly on the bards guild area so i can get some new content to the community, apparently i am popular despite my past transgressions which means someone up above likes me since i'm still here :p

A Ghost and Tahru like this.
  8. Busker

Busker Avatar

I'm only just starting to learn how to record. I'm self taught I have been playing for 7 years but I spent 4 years focusing on getting my bachelors in illustration. I have taught myself a little theory but I don't know how to apply it to guitar yet. I think that some guitarists are too analytical about theory and don't allow themselves to reach the flow state because of it. This is purely subjective though, some guitarist have theory down like a second language which allows them to express themselves unrestrictedly. I say don't be hesitant about playing in a strange tuning, just dive in. No one has ever thought themselves out of writer block, only their initiative allowed them to be set free. Theory could help me with a project like this where I have to play in a different style. I'm having trouble reaching out of my own play style. If I can figure it out I would be open for collaborating but I'm just going to start with a cover of "Stones" on guitar on my own.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

we have very similar paths my friend. i just got a UR22 steinberg recording interface with cubase 6 AI LE and it wont record, i get a signal in cubase but i hear nothing. i have no speakers plugged in other than those on my laptop.

its so frustrating when you have the inspiration to create only to be stifled because every tutorial is on a mac and im on a pc. telling me to click buttons i dont have.. maybe i should make some tutorials on pc when i finally figure out how to work this confounded contraption of contradiction...

i would also like to do stones in a different style, if i just knew the notes of each tone in in the UO version i could figure it out on guitar but tablature is so much easier then you never know if you are actually playing the "true" version of it.

so much energy expended to do what you love, but what if you're love is unable to be done without adhereing to the principles of order, am i turning a new leaf or am i just crazy and dont know who i am?

who am i if what i consider me to be is not what others see, but what others see is just a facade?

Tahru likes this.
  10. Busker

Busker Avatar

Nah your not crazy just gamble on a new approach for a while and see if it works after say a month or so. I have the tabs to stones but I bought tab pro which has it. You can always watch a cover on youtube and wing it and then you have something your own if that's what your your looking for. I find that in life we are our greatest enemies, try to eliminate the ego and then you can be whole. I believe we exist in multitudes, the culmination of our interactions with others and within, below our capacity for words. What I like to do when looking for greater understanding in a form of art is to look into the mind of the creator. I do this through biographies, interviews that touch on personal experiences, etc. Trying to see the man (self) behind the legend (ego). The fact is we are always changing throughout our life time, we usually hold on to ourselves and it restricts our capacity for greatness. Anyways, I can talk a lot but I need to be my butt moving. I have a macbook and logic pro but I don't know how to use it I use iMovie and Photo Booth lol. It's terrible I'm going to start a logic pro tutorial tomorrow this needs to end.

Tahru and Veylen The AenigmA like this.
  11. Veylen The AenigmA

speaking of butts, i finally got mine moving and started recording again. its a great feeling but at the same time learning a new DAW makes me feel like im at square one again. im going to publish it soon and i would like comments from the bards. its a happy sounding mysterious little diddy. i forget how hard it is to play with no distortion or effects and i got sloppy from that and not playing, everytime i hear something wrong where i messed up, but enough about that if i dont get stuff out of the daw from imperfection syndrome then nobody will have anything new from me that isnt completely horribly mixed. im afraid to touch the mixer now i guess as long as its below 0db i should be fine..

on the serious tip, i agree whole heartedly, you sound introspective which is good i used to be all ego but one cannot detach the self from the ego very well it seems.

as with all things, balance good, not too much analytical guitar or you play like a machine. a little theory helps with understanding how to bring out certain styles of music, and all emotion produces wierd things like my recordings that are so chaotic. I would like to think that i am good at making riffs and melodies but putting them together cohesively is a problem for me thats why i'm here, for help and mentoring/advice on how to become better, i've been playing since i was 16 thats half my life plus some now, i think(math blah).

if i was able to get on a recording device earlier in my youth i would have had more chances because i've forgotten everything i used to know and even when i have recordings i forget what i played unless i play them everyday, you can make a dozen different sounding musicalites with just a few chords and determination. it seems like my life is like evolution in my music i started distorted power chords then i got into acoustic fingerpicking (i have no nails, nail biter) so much fingers are what i use. ive seen kids pull out a guitar and shred like crazy and it makes me feel incompetent but every person persues a different path in life and thus produces different emotional qualites thru their music. I would like to THINK that some people that like my music really connect with it, i enjoy contstructive critiques on how i could technically be better (i am really sloppy player) but its wierd when i see people watching me, i get timid and play like crap. when i am at home i shred, its about confidence and blocking out other peoples negativity to a certain degree(that being the meaning of CONSTRUCTIVE) in the critique of ones playing.

i know there are some people i am better than technically, and some im never gonna be as good as. thats just life what is important is staying true to you're own style without compromising with other people.

never give up man, do what you love and love what you do . i have songs i like and i cant beleive nobody listens to on soundcloud. the engineering of my recordings were crap. they have no production value. but im' working on that now :) progress is slow and painful, but anything will be overcame with determination. except taxes.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Athens

Athens Avatar

Not sure if we're still on topic here. But, if the album were to happen, you wouldn't be able to submit a cover or remix without permission from the original author.
    You might have been referring to just practicing you guitar though.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Veylen The AenigmA

Ive never been in a band so you guys are gonna all be my bandmates ok.?

I would submit but i cant vote

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.