Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PREPARE TO DEFEND URSELF!? Get rid of it ASAP

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Lord Gandalf, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Gandalf

Lord Gandalf Avatar

This option is so frustrating me, especially when u want to do the tour guide event on several accounts... loading screen takes ages and i think its completely useless to have it for the moment... you can implement it when loading screens start taking less time maybe...???

+ i strongly dislike the map system as it is, slows u down when u hit trees, night-time where u can barely know where u are, and not enough zoom out....

Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Crazy Phil, Tahru and Kaisa like this.
  3. Lord Gandalf

Lord Gandalf Avatar

We all appreciate the 3d world/environment u have created, but the map should be a lot more simple and easy to access.
    I vote for a 2d simple map with buttons, or a menu system where u can click and go, why u making it so hard and complicated? we already spend enough time running & logging in/ou inside each dungeon or city...

0pi8 and Tahru like this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The overland map can be viewed as a second gameplay layer. It is not just a means to travel but a means to explore and have adventures on.
    For example next release will (probably) see the inclusion of roving encounters. This means while travelling on the overland map you see monsters roaming around and you can try to engage those or flee. Also you will meet NPCs on the overland map, for example gypsy wagons. By meeting those NPCs you can get quests or information or maybe trade with them.
    I think it was also said that it would be possible to discover things on the overland map. For example some Scenes might only appear during certain circumstances, for example a certain time of day combined with a specific type of weather. Maybe even camping will be possible on the overland map.
    So there will be much more to do on the overland map and it will be a part of gameplay and not just a means to travel from A to B.

Tahru, steanne, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I love the map system....however random encounters are just frustrating at the moment.

An encounter really has to be meaningful and probably have some kind of reasonable reward at the end of it. At the moment I find them that irritating that I don't actually fight anything, I just walk straight to the exit (as I'm sure many players do).

There also needs to be some kind of alteration to the system if players are walking across the map in a party......maybe any party members within a certain radius are dragged in as well?

Tahru, Budner, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Having decoration needs I usually run straight for trees then exit, ignoring the foes.

I hope that you have the option to travel in caravans. So it's a choice if the party members travel one by one (so that if one is ambushed the rest can carry in). Or if all travel with the 'leader' with no movement options for the others except 'split to solo' so that all are engaged if an encounter occurs.

Tahru, steanne, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  7. Lord Gandalf

Lord Gandalf Avatar

"An encounter really has to be meaningful and probably have some kind of reasonable reward at the end of it."

or extra XP?

Amazing idea Envy

Tahru, Lord Baldrith and E n v y like this.
  8. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Don't worry about it folks - if you catch up with one of the more recent Portalarium post mortems on YouTube they discuss plans for the overworld map. Those "surprise" monster encounters? We'll be seeing roving monsters on the overworld in the future, that's just not in yet. So you'll be able to work on avoiding them if that's what you're after.

I'm sorry I don't have a timestamp for you - its been a little while since I watched it and its an hour and a half long. Good listening though.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Lord Gandalf

Lord Gandalf Avatar

Cba watching any of these long videos, ive got more important stuff to do instead of wasting 1h30mins of my day, but thx anyway! ^^

0pi8 and Tahru like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Really Gandalf?

More important things? And don't you dare say work because I know that is isn't true lol

11. Lord Gandalf

Lord Gandalf Avatar

Says the workaholic guy! Rofl!

Gym-gf-work is already taking 90% of my day without mentioning my freelance projects. U aint got none of those on ur list; u got hoes, delivery and sleep mode trigger every 30mins... How dare u start this fight Envy! :D

Tahru and E n v y like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Lmao

Tahru likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Fight, fight, fight.

*starts a betting game*

Tahru and E n v y like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yes, they mentioned thier plans for Encounters a couple of times in the past few months at least in the monthly hangout videos.

Roving encoutners you can see, includign wild animals, monsters, wandering merchants, gypsy wagons, bandits disguised as merchants or gypsies, etc.

As well as resource nodes, and possibly other things like lost cargo etc

I would like to see some random, unseen encounters in places like Forests or Mountains. Places where one is more likely to be ambushed.

Tahru and jiirc like this.
  15. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I'm not personally sure if random encounters were meant to stay, or if they were just a way to test the tech needed to built an encounter system. Making them random allows them to test how well the tech, read code, works. Making them static would mean that people would have to go to a place and the tech couldn't get as good of a workout. And since they didn't have time to add the roving part or other ideas yet, we are seeing an incomplete, in-game system.

Getting people into them also lets them see if they are meaningful, what will people do in the encounters. The encounter system could be another disaster, like the uo ecosystem was, it could be that people see them as useful in some way, as gathering but not combat, or they people could just run away and not do anything. Either way it is important data for the devs to gather, iterate on, and make decisions. After all, it's not a game yet just a testing platform. ;)

Tahru and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.