Would You Be Interested In A Subscription Option For SoTA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ice Queen, Feb 14, 2015.

?

Would You Be Interested In A Subscription Option For SoTA?

1. Yes!

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. No!

55 vote(s)
    67.1%
  3. Maybe, It depends......Explain.

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CobaIt

CobaIt Avatar

I'd be willing to pay 10 to 12 dollars a month for this game once its complete and what I mean by that is beyond beta. Obviously the sky is the limit as we all well know by now. Although, I didn't make a pledge or anything so its probably easier for me to say something like that than someone who's dropped a few grand for a lot and a tower. I do plan on buying some things off of the in market once I see something I like though.

2. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

It would be a bad business practice for Portalarium to switch to a subscription model at an early stage after having promised a buy-to-play game.

For those with the means and inclination to continue paying a monthly fee to Portalarium on a voluntary basis simply in order to support the game, I have a suggestion to increase the impact that your "donation" has. Instead of simply giving money to Portalarium via payment plan, buy add-on store gift certificates or add-on items and give them to trusted individuals (e.g. the folks from Avatar's Radio or the New Britannia Theatre Troupe) to use in promoting community events. Or go to the starting point in the game (don't know if it will always be Braemar) and give stuff away to new players. This way Portalarium gets the money and you are creating positive experiences for other players at the same time which will help ensure the continued success of the game.

If, at some time in future, the game's continued existence is in danger for financial reasons, Portalarium can always switch to a subscription model to save the game. However I do think it would be fair to exempt players at very high pledge levels from having to pay a subscription fee even in that case.

3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

out of interest, at what level of pledge is it ok to commit a blatant act of false advertising and breach of contract?

FanofIolo likes this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

A blatant act of false advertising: as soon as the hypothesis becomes reality.

Breach of contract: hmmm... Can you point me the exact EULA paragraph/point where Portalarium wrote this will never be a subscription game? I've seen descriptive videos, but nothing written down to clickthru.

5. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I dont think a volunteer subscription program constitutes any breach of anything. And a member of the SotA communty's idea isnt false advertisement, it's an idea that should garner support or be worked on with cooperative feedback as to fit a general degree usage in the game.

Tahru and Ravenclaw [BEAR] like this.
  6. High Baron Asguard

Kickstarter TOS require that the developers provide the rewards they offer as a legally binding contract (just between those who pledge and the devs), RG OPENLY and caitogorically stated on multiple occasions that this game was BUY TO OWN NOT SUBSCRIPTION BASED

Tahru and Katrin Bekers [PAX] like this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It should be noted that the idea of a subscription is just a random forum post from someone who doesn't work for Portalarium. It is unlikely to happen. It has never been suggested by a dev. So let's not overreact.

My first response to the idea is that I would only support it if it were like Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is a "Buy Once" game. You don't need to pay any subscription for online play. The Kickstarter and website promised there is no necessary subscription.

They added a completely optional subscription model for people who just want to throw money at development where they get a vanity item every month such as a tiny ship model to display in their hangar. You can even pay double the subscription fee and get two of the vanity items every month if you want to gift the second. (Note, if anyone has that double subscription and wants to gift me their extra Star Citizen items, I'll be glad to take them!)

That is the only way I can see a subscription model that doesn't violate their promise and I trust Portalarium won't violate their promise.

8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Interested?

No, not for me personally. I'd consider re-investing money for Ep2, but not keen on a sub.

Yes, if it encourages regular players to sign up and get involved. Throwing down $500 in one lump doesn't interest everyone, but dividing that out over many years and they might think again. If the subscription receives rewards then I'd hope it is commensurate with the amount and implied risk. Once the game has launched I'd expect even a pre-launch benefactor account to have more value than a post-launch account.

Should a subscription grant store credits every month? Perhaps. In-game gold? Maybe, but naturally we don't want to over-inflate gold supply (probably not an ideal option).

Should the same rewards which are available pre-launch also be available post launch? I don't favour that.

9. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

Might I point out that although everyone is debating a sub to generate more revenue for content (I see this as bad as the no-sub is a major factor in pulling in new purchasers) that we still have a bunch of items in the stretch goal store that are nowhere near funding yet...

10. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

wow was doing like 180 million a month at its heyday doing subscriptions.i feel subscription $ does not have to be pledged towards something, so it can be used to blast people off into 'space'. for promotional purposes. so no, kickstart made a bed, it's time to make a monkey date Wilson from that tom hanks movie on that bed. though for the next stunt i bet they move a flippin castle brick by brick from ireland to Austin. for promotional purposes.

i'd pay 5 bucks a month to be seperated from what i feel will be overseas gold sellers playing on pirated copies and causing a waterfall of nerfs.

i'm going to peer at a gem; no one opens a kickstarted project to public opnion this early ever again

The Hendoman

Tahru likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If I need to visit the store very often I would like an option to set up a monthly payment. I wouldn't call that a subscriptions.

I'd rather never need to visit the store and be able to do everything in game. But I can't do nickle and dime purchases.

12. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

No.

subs would hurt more than help. compared other games of this caliber, the whole operation is lean and will have lower overhead costs.

if this was strictly a MMO, I would say its a good way to make millions, but to the portion of the community that will be playing mostly or entirely SPO or friends only, it wouldn't make sense to make them pay each month.

13. High Baron Asguard

Absolutely, this keeps popping up but always by members not devs but it is good to remind people why this cant under any circumstances happen for the first 5 chapters

14. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Exactly, it's just something I wondered how many, if any, or many, would be interested in.

SoTA isn't going the subscription way at all. I was just curious what the response would be either way.

Katrin Bekers [PAX] likes this.
  15. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

In other words, you saw a can of worms sitting peacefully on the side of the road and decided to give it a kick and see what happens. :)

16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Of course not, I was legitimately curious if this would be an option anyone would like to have. I am not in the habit of trolling, and don't appreciate the insinuation that I was.

17. fillyblunts

fillyblunts Avatar

With the costly prices of our pledges...I believe we have funded the game enough. No need to throw in a sub as well.

Tahru likes this.
  18. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

No, no, no - I wasn't implying that; and apologize if that's what it sounded like. I was just making a joke, obviously in poor taste. My fault!

Tahru likes this.
  19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

No worries then, I understand things can get lost when typing and we can't very well hear the person's voice while they post to know whether it's a joke or insult. Glad you weren't implying anything mean. :)

Entrappedmind and Tahru like this.
  20. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

It seems like the word subscription has gotten people riled up when OPs idea seemed to be allowing for people to donate to fund ongoing content- like public radio pledges. I for one worry that if the add on store and housing becomes to devs only source of funds that dips in new players could create pressures in those areas. Guild Wars seems to do OK but IDK how much new content is in their patches or if they have a functioning community.

The whole B2P + Add Ons + Donations + New Episodes model is fairly new to me and seems tenuous in the long run. More options seem better than less options provided they are truly options.

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.