Shroud of the Avatar Community Events Calendar [Unofficial]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Ezekiel Cooper, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Greetings Avatars and Peoples of New Britannia,

On behalf of the 375+ members of the Britannian Mining Company, we are pleased to present to you with the first fully functional community event calendar where ALL of the community may come to register and immediately begin posting individual, guild, and town events for ALL to see.
    No longer is your voice silenced, no longer must you rely upon someone else to give you access to a media outlet or find favor in you to publish an event that you wish others to join.
    Here at the BMC, we believe in the equality of players and believe that whether you're a guild leader or a farmer, you're entitled to your own voice to share your events with the public.

Rules do apply to the events calendar and stern enforcement of those rules are moderated vigorously by many community leaders, so make sure the event you post is real, and that you have full intention of fulfilling the event as it's host or someone will host the event on your behalf.

Any member of this community can visit SotA Events, register, and begin publishing their events immediately.

Thank you,
    Duke Ezekiel Cooper
    President, BMC

Grogoth83, Sofiamia, Koldar and 11 others like this.
  2. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Greetings kind sir,

Thank you and the BMC for this service!

I noticed that the calender is seeded with many existing events. Was there a port of events from another service? Will this be ongoing?

Also curious as to why some may not have ported over?

Thanks again!

Vyrin likes this.
  3. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

There is no port of events.
    This calendar is stand alone and will be used as a central database for the Shroud of the Avatar public for ALL events.

Our goal is that every time you visit, SOMETHING is going on...

Group Pay for the website is located to the left of the calendar where donations are very much appreciated because with every donation, the money goes straight to the website host and the expiration of the website is updated immediately further into the future. So to answer your question sir, yes, this is ongoing!

Thank you,
    Duke Ezekiel Cooper
    President, BMC

Vyrin and Yavrashu like this.
  4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just curious why Avatars Portal's calendar is not used for events?

http://avatarscircle.com/community-events/

It seems pretty well populated and is a Google Calendar which has a pretty open and well published API. I have always used Avatars Portal and did not feel there was a need for another community calendar.

Arianna and Net like this.
  5. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

SotA Events is a community events calendar, with access to post your events by everyone in the community. The barrier for entry is registration through the Enjin back end, and then you're placing your events right away. This allows event hosts to collect guest lists, receive comments, and post updates in real time (with no middlemen!).

All events that you see on the page were added by members of the community since we opened for business on Tuesday (17 Feb).

This is a tool for the community, by the community. We hope you will add your personal events, and encourage your event coordinators and favorite hosts to join in!

edited: for Themo :p

Tahru and Vyrin like this.
  6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Could possibly be worded a little better as to not sound like an attack on existing services >.<

7. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Although I applaud the concept, effort and result, I must point out a redundency of community tools that make it a tad more tedius to go around submitting events on a number of different community sites just to make sure the events have a wide range of visibility.

Dont take it the wrong way, honestly its good, but I think that what could work best in the sense of "community tools" is unification, rather than segregation.

Arianna, Net and Katrin Bekers [PeV] like this.
  8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Very nice, but what does it offer that avatarscircle does not?

Furthermore, what timezone are the timestamps? I'd say central US, but I'm unable to see any reference to that.

Also, a way to change the displayed timezone (like avatarscircle!) would be great.

9. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

The default time of SotA Events is New Britannia Time (NBT) which is Central Standard Time (CST).
    In your account settings, located in a drop down menu at the top right corner of the website, please make sure your time zone is correct in your account settings so that the correct time of events are automatically reflected on the calendar to your actual time rather than NBT.

That being said, TODAY IS THE DAY!!! It is confirmed with Portalarium and it's COO, Dallas Snell, that he WILL be looking at SotA Events as well as avatarscircle as a reference to update his weekly upcoming events for the main Shroud of the Avatar webpage.

So get those event posts in guys... There's a distinct possibility that it will be announced on the game's weekly update!

Vyrin and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I agree with this. I think, especially for events, unifing where the community finds this information is important. No one should have to post their information or register for multiple systems to ensure visibility. Not to mention using a Google calendar means there is not a pay timer (meaning no cost) on the service and the API for using it is well fleshed out versues Enjin who's API are listed as Alpha and are not well documented.

I don't want to minimize the effort or intention, but it seemed like Avatar's Circle/Portal was already in place and time spent improving that process would be more beneficial than reproducing the effort in another system. I am speaking somewhat out of my own interests because the SOTARP group will have events to post and I am also working on the Community Mobile App, so this greatly complicates my life in both arenas and in the long run may be confusing for players as well.

Arianna, Katrin Bekers [PeV] and Net like this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

I just learned how to use calendar at Avatars' Circle. I am lazy, I do not want to use two (or more) services doing the same thing. There are basic timezones available without logging in, I am not fan of using NBT (CST) as default tiem, I am hardcore fan of UTC and while it is not default even at Avatars' Circle, it is at least optional.

Also one big drawback of the new calendar for me is that the local (and NBT) time is by default in 12-hour format (without making it clear whether it is AM or PM).

I think that most of these can be solved, but there is already a calendar, should we use two now? I am not sure we have big enough community for that...

Arianna and Katrin Bekers [PeV] like this.
  12. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

All this negativity is making me feel bad... :(

You guys think maybe I can get a hug later on after all this has blown over?

13. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

*bearhugs Ezie*

Its not negativity, just opinion. I know you want to help this community in many ways, but a new calendar might not be it. If you want we can brainstorm on what other community tools could be useful.

And dont feel bad. :)

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

* Hugs Duke Ezekiel Cooper *

15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thanks Ezekiel Cooper for this service.

Perhaps this is a little of my chaos side showing, but I think there is room to do things multiple ways in a community. I personally find value in the fact that Ezekiel has tried to make this easy and open for everyone in the community. Others may want to restrict calendar access for some sort of authenticity and quality control, but that is simply a different preference. One is not better than the other.

Like it or not there will always be multiple avenues in a community like this, and Ezekiel in a very particular way is providing for an unmet need (a common OPEN calendar).

I will use both calendars for events, and have no problem doing so.

16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well I don't think Avatar's Circle's calendar was ever meant to be restricted. It is actually multiple Google Calendars mapped together, so anyone could create their own calendar and have it easily added. Not to mention things could be added to your personal calendar for alerts and so forth. This allows people to have their own stand alone calendars for restrictive control, but still be included in a unified display that allowed users to filter out specific communities or contributors.

So the question is if the AC calendar was restrictive should the community have worked together on a solution than making a competative effort. In the end it devalues both tools. As someone who works in the software industry I see the damage first hand that these competing products can cause in an enterprise.

Arianna, Net and Katrin Bekers [PeV] like this.
  17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

*HUG*

Seriously, you did a terrific job, the horizontal week view with vertical hour list is fantastic. Unfortunately, you basically reinvented the wheel! :p

A challenge for you: trying and merging your awesome effort with what's already available, enhancing both the old and the new! Google cal API is very good (we use it at work), and you'll love working with that.

Deal? ;)

18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Not trying to make you feel bad. Just trying to provide feedback. Imagine how Avatar's Circle might feel have other community member compete with them or minimize their efforts (not that I am saying they feel that way or trying to speak for them). A community is about working together, and I am just adding my opinion to the conversation. I would hope you would want to know how your project affects some other projects and members of the community.

*hugs Ezekiel* Still love you man! :) Don't take it as negative.

Net and Duke Ezekiel Cooper BMC like this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I applaud any new community pages, some people will like certain ones better than others......some will be updated better than others......some will last the test of time whilst others will slowly fade away and disappear.

Great job Ezekiel

Vyrin likes this.
  20. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

List of Admins & Moderators for www.sotaevents.com:

Admins:
    Duke Ezekiel Cooper (BMC President)
    Drake Aedus (BMC Event Coordinator)

Moderators:
    Wind Silvermoon (BMC Event Coordinator)
    Amber Raine (Avatars Radio)
    WrathPhoenix (Phoenix Republic)
    Winfield (PaxLair)
    Royalsexy (Avatars Radio)
    Xavier Starfall (BMC Guild Steward)
    Yellow King (BMC Chief of Staff)
    Duke Gréagóir (Dara Brae - The Celtic Holdfast)

Koldar, Vyrin and E n v y like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.