Will the Repair Kits ruin this?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Myrcello, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

give a friend kindred rights. have them move an item or two around within every 7 days and youo'll be fine.

i have a buddy of mine with interwebs issues who asked me to do the same. seems to be working.

2. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

my daughter logs on her account and does that as well for me.

power supply died on the computer and when it got swapped out i got some stupid error msg and the computer shuts down 15 secs later yea me. even the pc repair guys was confused on whats causeing the problem

3. Zarad

Zarad Avatar

Items should have limited repairs as then the market is flooded with items and crafting becomes pointless and crafting should be a huge factor in the game smith repairs should be more effective with less chance to break an item repairing with item repair kits increases risk of item breakage all item should break eventually. I would prefer not to have crafting ruined by unbreakable items.

4. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I think the idea mentioned of reducing maximum durability solves this though. It's how it worked in UO too.

So a repair kit could instantly repair your weapon 100%, but would take a good chunk of it's max durability.

A blacksmith, depending on their skill, could repair it and lose a lot less of the max durability, maybe even a chance that it doesn't lose any.

But the result is, that eventually, your weapon will be breaking too often to be viable in combat and will have to be replaced.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

Repair kits are really expensive. As long as repairs from crafters are cheaper I do not see any issue

6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That's pretty massive MMO-wankery though... the idea that a person would need dozens of copies of the same weapon instead of simply maintaining a single version is pretty silly. Why not have repair kits fully repair, but reduce max damage by 1 each use until the weapon can be reforged by a smith or similar?

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Don't be concerned it won't ruin the crafter. There was a hangout a month or two ago, and somebody asked a question about repairs. I keyed in on this point because it was something we thought was an awesome idea in the forums.

They mentioned repair kits for simple repairs, BUT ultimately the weapon will lose durability. Eventually we will be forced to buy a new item, but if we wanted to keep the item (because it had special item history like elf slayer etc etc). we have the option to reforge the item.

ITEM REFORGING:

Reforging an item will require the crafter to virtually craft the item from scratch (material wise), but the item retains its item history etc.

The end result is we can pay to keep a particular item we like a lot, but it will cost the full price of buying a new one (possibly more because the crafter knows that this item is of greater value to you than a new one).

REPAIRS HAD NO FEE IN UO:
    In UO no smiths ever charged for repairs on an item. We could hand them our stuff and they would make a tink sound and they would hand them back. In this game it should be a little more secure than trading the item I hope.

In any case the reforge is just like crafting a new item as far as materials so the crafters will be able to charge the price for a new item. Repair kits only cost the player money to repair an item. (hopefully repair kits don't cost this much though)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually the cost of repairing an item is way to high at this point don't you think? I'm wondering if they want to test how rich people use them or something.

I gathered a bunch of gems and had 300k in the beginning of the release, but reagents and repairs have drained that to only 100k. Now I don't want to use either anymore. There isn't much as far as gaining wealth at the moment and using reagents are far too expensive, and so are repair kits.

Xandra7 and Net like this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

That is what I said, is it not?

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Did I repeat you? Hmm. then you must be right. :p

Net likes this.
  11. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Repair kits should be the main form of repair because they are the only way to stop someone else's life interfearing with my game. I go up to a vendor and give them my sword but the player doesn't log on for however long because of what's happening in there life, I am now stuck without a sword. This is unacceptable. Buying player made repair kits as the main way to repair on the other hand DOES make sense, it involves crafters in the repair process while not destroying the game for other

12. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

When fighting in a dungeon away from a smith its hard to stop what you are doing and go to a town to get your repairs. I say have the smiths as primary source of repairs but allow the repair kits as something for emergency situations

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

he's got a point. Creating repair kits seems perfectly reasonable. Each profession could have their own repair kits.

Although there is another use for the repair kit is that they are a gold sink. Having to buy repair kits from NPC vendors is helpful because you always know the guy is going to be around, and it takes gold out of the economy since everybody needs them.

Repairs were always free from a smith in UO. Why should we be charged by another player for a repair? we have enough charges already. These kits are too expensive, and they are a pain to use. Some items take 20 kits to repair.

Couldn't they make it so we just drag the kits on the item and it uses all the kits to fully repair the item?

14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

do you mean it uses all the kits needed to fully repair the item, placing what is not needed, back into inventory?

i like the idea of repair kits in the field, but i don't think they should fully repair you, unless if you are a master smith.

i think you should take the damaged item to a smith to repair it for you, however i think npc's should be around to also do it, if the player doesn't trust other players. at a higher-than average cost.

maybe use the job boards where the smith walks up and sees 'need repair' and takes down the writ, takes it to their smithy, repairs the item, marks the writ as complete and takes it back to the board to post. and then the smith gets paid, while the item goes back to the bank of the person needing the repair. - that way, the smith doesn't have full control over the item..

i think that would alleviate most of the mistrust people have in a player-repair system, these days.
    as a crafter, i could care less which method is used.

15. Haz

Haz Avatar

Howdy folks,

Everyone seems to be worried about giving over their wep or armor to a BS crafter for repair and want a secure way to do it. You also seem to be worried about the cost they are gonna charge or that repairs were free in UO. One of us, either me or you, remembers things differently.

In all my time in UO, 7 yrs worth, I gave my armor or my wep to a BS crafter, they repaired it and returned it and I never once had a problem (this was in the first 6 yrs of UO). No one ever stole my wep or armor. I'm not saying it happened to someone else mind you, just that it happened very seldom. I'm not sure how our reputation within SotA might be displayed for others to see, but let a Crafter screw another player once or twice and watch that crafter lose the respect and business from other players. I know I read something about reputation, just don't remember the particulars.

As to cost, once I decided to become a Smith, one of the easiest ways to gain in skill once you were a master (and the fun-est as well) was to stand around a forge and call out you were doing repairs. Someone would roll up, talk to you for a few secs, give over their armor, I would repair it, return it, and off they would go. No charge involved since I was working skill to level. More often than not, when I returned the armor, I was receiving a tip. I was always surprised at the amount of the tip, ranged from gold to bars to reagents or something. The guild I was in always made sure that they were tipping me well, usually in materials to advance my skill. BUT I NEVER CHARGED ANYONE! and for awhile I made a reasonable good living as a Smith.

Now, SotA may shake out differently, I don't know. My crafting plans at this point are pointed in the direction of archery....leather gear, bows, that sort of thing. Who knows where my crafting is gonna land, but, once the skills are all in, if you need leather gear repaired or made, the only cost from my crafter would be a bit of conversation....tips are welcomed!

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

On Lake Superior during the first many years of UO. I lost many pieces of armour to BS crafters as they told me the item failed the repair. Then to see them on that BS vendor later was @&$)£>#}.

In this case it was BS.

I learned to smith in my own.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  17. Haz

Haz Avatar

Wow, I'm sorry you had that kind of experience. I was on Baja, can't tell ya if a Smith ever handed me that line and it wasn't true, may have happened, but if it did, it was so insignificant that it didn't leave a lasting memory. Memories of those times were filled with friends, guilds, house fighting, pking, and a lot of leveling stuff, lol.

18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

It did not happen every time (thankfully). :)

19. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

A lot of thieves loved disguise kits and blacksmith aprons. Easy valorite armour.

Don't give your gear to a guy named Oswell or Jacob. ^^

20. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Firstly this is not UO, its been argued from the start that gear should be like UO and just decorative and the devs have stated they don't want this, that they want gear to matter to progress the game, they want affinity where you want to keep using the same gear not just replace it

secondly, I am not worried about scammers. Whether you play single player, friend only or even full open (because of the instance limits and also different people playing at different times) the chances are your not going to actually be interacting with an actual person, your going to be interacting with there vendor. If all we had to do was hand it to a player and watch them fix it I wouldn't be as concerned but that's not what's going to happen. Once you give your item to a vendor you have no idea if the person is actually on or what's going on in there life which will impact when they next come back on and that's the problem and that's why repair kits should be the primary form of repair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.