Your Ultima Collection (and mine)...

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by tphilipp, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tphilipp

tphilipp SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Hello community,

Ultima has been a big part of my gaming life all the way through my childhood and teenage years, and needless to say, I'm proud of being a member of the SotA team, now.

I thought I'd start a thread about personal Ultima collections, to get a little bit nostalgic, here. ;) Attached is a picture of my Ultima game boxes - in case you are wondering about Ultima 7 Part 1 on the picture, it's the German version (I'm German).

I never played Ultima 2, and don't have the box, either. However, I played and finished Ultima Underworld 2 without owning a copy of the game - oops... well, luckily there is the SotA guilt pledge! :)

Well, I'd love to see pictures of your collections and stories - looking at those boxes definitely brought back a lot of childhood memories...

[​IMG]

~ Moustache Guy

Seon, Sir Cabirus, cs2501x and 18 others like this.
  2. Rustic Dragon

Rustic Dragon Proprietor of the Hearth

I've been pretty much a life long Ultima fan, starting with IV on the NES. Born in '82, I missed out on playing the earliest titles until well after the fact. The entirety of my love for Ultima is captured forever online in the various recordings of the Dragonsmeets I've hosted, but suffice it to say that Britannia was often times a much better world in which to spend my time than certain periods of my adolescent life. I can say, with absolute certainty however, that were it not for Ultima, I would not be an Interaction Designer today. (I'll follow up with my whole story soon, I promise...)

Anyway, I recently had the good fortune of acquiring the *entire* Origin collection of Greg Cato, whom many of you know as Greg the Provisioner from Ultima VII. (Here's a relevant video about it) Given this, I decided it was high time to catalog my Ultima (and now Origin) collection. This thread coincides nicely with that progress. Here are two pictures of my progress. 95% of the Ultima related items are cataloged, which are what is shown in these two pics. I still need to catalog the other Origin titles and all of the incidentals such as the Origin wake shirt, Origin reports, magazine adverts, posters, loose trinkets, extra maps, negatives, and other assorted whatnot:

[​IMG]
    View from the left

[​IMG]
    View from the right

Stephen's Ultimate Collector's guide has been the worst (best?) thing that ever happened to me. :) Once everything's cataloged and put back on the shelves, I'll post a much better looking pic.

3. tphilipp

tphilipp SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Oh wow! :D
    Respect, sir, that's impressive! It took me a while back then to get a single Savage Empire box, and you have like 6, lol. Awesome!

4. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

@Vitralis: Wooah! :)

5. Rustic Dragon

Rustic Dragon Proprietor of the Hearth

Wsye, let's get some of mine put on your table! :)

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Respect @Vitralis! Can't compete with that. :)

I haven't photographed mine yet, but I have the whole PC gambit as well. Although I did snapshot my U8 poster during the KS campaign.

Comparing to tphilipp, I actually have my Ultima Underworld 2. I did get pirate versions of U1-3, but I also have the collectors edition with U1-6 including paper maps. Everything else I have all the trinkets and cloth maps. I even have a Dupre and LB signed U6 cloth map.

One reason I probably won't increase my tier is because I am wanting to frame everything including the SOTA stuff I will be getting, so I need the extra cash for that.

Seon and Rustic Dragon like this.
  7. stile

stile Avatar

Mine looks like wsye's.

At one time it looked like v's. unfortunately i had been unemployed 6 months when my daughter was born and it was on of the things sold (along with my MTG collection and UO accounts) to recover. Of the 3 things sold the ultima collection is the only one i wish i had held onto :)

That said, i plan on collecting SotA items so long as it does not get out of control as to how much is put out.

8. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

Why I do believe I see The Forge of Virtue, and presumably, The Temper of Wisdom beneath it good job on having those. Alas, my own gaming collection is relegated to disks, manuals, and extras, sans boxes, boxes became luxury of space taking I couldn't afford anymore.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I first saw UIII on an apple IIe at school in Jr. High. I'm afraid I would've had to make several guilt pledges from back in the day.. *sheepish grin* so I don't actually own most of the boxes. I did make it a point however to acquire UIII and having played it.. found I & II as well and then followed the series from then on.

When I got VII (part 1) I played for 36 hours straight breaking only 1 hour for ST:TNG, food and shower. It was thinking about on that that I reached the conclusion I wanted to do game development. Pft.. never found a good opportunity to get the ol' foot in the door but I keep a keen interest none-the-less.

Finally got Savage Empire and Martian Dreams.. (yes the actual boxes).. U8.. IX Dragon Edition.. UO of course and the first couple expansions and the Ultima Collection. I don't have the boxes for them but I have played both Underworlds. I believe I still have copies of those on my HD from somewhere. :)

I occasionally got back and replay some of them.. and look out for a well done remake. btw the UV Lazarus remake is totally awesome! Loved it.

Cordelayne and Miracle Dragon like this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

LOL. Erm.... nice collection.

Miganarchine likes this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

It's too bad I didn't keep some of my older ultimas from my Commodore 64 days.

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Most of my collection is on my Ultima/SotA site : www.ultimamuseum.com I have a bunch of more items to add.

Two of my favorites collectibles are (that is until there are SotA collectibles) :D

UO Charter Edition box set - including a Lord British autograph and a cloth map with UO Pewter Pin:
    [​IMG]

My Sword of Order / Silver Serpent Sword:
    [​IMG]

Salix, Grogan, Solomon Majere and 3 others like this.
  13. stile

stile Avatar

Definitely planning on collecting SotA swag. I can't replace what I had for Ultima. I've checked prices on things over the last few years a number of times and even to just replace what I had would cost more then I can really consider doing.

That said, anyone that submits art that is accepted that wants to be nice to a potential collector, grab an extra shirt instead of 10.00 and ill PayPal you the 10.00 +shipping to send it to me :)

14. Frigidazzi

Frigidazzi Avatar

My jaw dropped open from those huge collections. This thread makes me want to dig out all of my Ultima Keepsakes! I managed to hold onto Warriors of Destiny guidebook and the rest is Ultima 7 - 9 and UO stuff. I started playing the Ultimas in the early 90s. (I'm 27 now). Those games were my childhood. My older brother provided the games and computer. UO came out when I was still pretty young. I had to wait a whole year staring at the game box in Best Buy before my dad bought it and agreed to pay for it. I played on Catskills for about 7 years. I am going to find them and post some pics sometime. :)

cs2501x likes this.
  15. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I havent's such a huge collection but i think i cover and own all Ultima's and UO's . I have UO Underworld only digital. Embedded my moderate Ultima collection.

[​IMG]

My babies are the Ultima V C'64 version and the original and first boxed UO.

[​IMG]

My beta CD from the UO Betatest kit

[​IMG]

The original c'64 disks. On the left side the great printed The Book of Lore. Its my desire that SotA will have a similar designed and extensive printed manuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a great decade of gaming! I loved the manuals. Above two additional extracts from the content.

16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Seeing The Box Covers Of Ultima IV and V Really Bring Back Some Wonderful Memories.

rild and Sinclair like this.
  17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I had to use a smaller table to make my collection look bigger. I used to have everything from U6 on, but lost them throughout a few relocations. Now I have these and my gog collection.
    [​IMG]

monxter, Sinclair and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  18. Salix

Salix Avatar

Wow, how I envy some of you and your impeccable collections!

As for me, I only have The Complete Ultima VII, Ultima VIII and Ultima Online - the first edition, with the cloth map and the UO pin, with the box. I regret not getting Ultima IX and Ultima Collection when I saw them available....

I can't imagine how you must have felt when you became part of the dev team, being a long-time fan of the series yourself. Congrats!:)

19. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

I have the UO pewter pin and still enjoy fondling it... I should have held on to more.

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I once reread The Book of Lore for a read-a-thon type thing back in primary school. I loved how it and the other books made the world seem bigger and help engage the imagination during play.

Sinclair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.