RTX Feedback and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by A_Ridable_Llama, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monxter

monxter Avatar

Truly great stuff. Can't wait!

jaytalent likes this.
  2. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

Agreed, in regards to the direction taken for the dialog system...I was a bit concerned at first, but after seeing the demo and it in action, I'm really liking this approach. It's just more natural.

3. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I am sooooo glad and proud of each of you dev guys. I was so excited since the first announcement of the "Lord British-Presents" Domain and the countdown and i was always convinced you will fulfil my desire of an Ultima successor (Spiritual successor). You bring back my childhood :)
    But now, and i know it is just a very small part of the game which you shown us, but now i believe you can create something epic. Guys, you've increased my expectations! I love this "realistic like" graphic art, the Avatar Looks great, the conversation system appears like "natural". The conversation system is definitely a reinvention and an innovation, all together. Marvelous! The GUI itself is very smart and i like this idea of having the most GUI elements hidden. Great implementation!

Crafting....i love this approach. Go into the wood and chip some wood. Thanks for this. I love this kind of work :)

Fighting - I have a wish - hit/strike feedback system
    Please, don't laugh, but for me the Diablo series has the best "hit/strike feedback system" during a fight. You "feel" the received hits and given strikes and it is a great feeling. I don't mean the arcade action of a fight, i am only referring to the hit/strike feedback system. You should feel your Avatar during a fight.....

Tommy and Alexander like this.
  4. AvatarGG

Great demo! I absolutely loved it! But... I have a concern about the inventory GUI:

The bag and backpack interfaces are beautiful but as you probably remember from the old Ultimas (especially from Ultima8, which I love by the way) it is very easy to mistakenly clic on the bag itself instead of the inventory item that you want to use (you can even watch Chris making this mistake 3 or 4 times in the demo) so you select the whole bag instead of the item. When you have to select a lot of small items this pixel-hunting becomes a real pain (especially for crafters like me ;)) , so I suggest two solutions:

- Fixed (non-movable) bag and backpack interfaces (probably not the best solution).

- Some kind of auto-arrange system so every item in the bag/backpack is automatically resized/moved so its very aesy to clic on it.

I hope you understand my point.

Donbo likes this.
  5. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

backpack interface is good and you can easily get used to click small items quickly.

Kromtec and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  6. AvatarGG

I also think the backpack interface is good, but you surely remember the giant backpack mess in Ultima 7/8/Online. Finding and/or clicking on a small item (rings, keys, small reagents, etc.) was not very easy. I love the concept of a real backpack interface but nowadays auto-arrangement of items (or a similar feature) should be a must.

7. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

Yes, great Demo!
    The way Lord British talked and answered the questions was great. Entertaining, good explained. He really knows how to do a presentation.

- I laughed a lot about the "Cool story, Bro!" Sentence in the tavern! :D
    Truth is, players in MMOS talk that way, but dare the NPC would do the same! ;)

- Compliments about the Crafting, (which is VERY important to me), the Housing and the "HUD". All exactly how, I think, it should be!

- About the Origin "joke": Yes I know exactly how that is. I find myself often in the situation where I have to explain younger gamers, that back in the 90ies, Origin was not a (awfull) Platform for Digital Game Distrubution, it was a whole company!! :D

And by the way: The Music-Video of "Spacebard" for SotA and Lord British is great.
    Can't remember that anyone of the Star Citien Communit did anything similar! ;)

8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

My audio recording at RTX with slides from the studio.

9. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

The dual scale maps are excellent. It really goes back to Ultima as I like it.

The conversation system looks amazing for being such an early demo.

The other big thing that stood out to me, was the flowing cape. It's great.

This demo is beyond promising. Really looking forward to the version we get to test out

monxteri likes this.
  10. flashbak420

flashbak420 Avatar

Looking beyond my wildest expectations. From the video there was something just inherently Garriott that kind of made me feel like I had slipped on a brand new pair of perfectly broken in slippers. Thank you Lord British and welcome back. You, sir, have been missed.

Montaigne likes this.
  11. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

The demo look great! Most impressive was the fluidity of the cloak when the avatar was moving about. :)

12. Arthur_Vonloksly

Arthur_Vonloksly Avatar

Yop the demo was amazing, well done guys, I cant wait to play this epic game!! I wish that the chat system with the NPCs will work fine, I dont want to chat with a friend in the tavern and the NPC answer to me even if im not talking to him xD

13. nimbus81

nimbus81 Avatar

First off, like many others here, I must say the bagpack is looking amazing. I love how it looks and how it feels like UO. Brings back sweet memories.

Looking at the videos, I do hope that the interior of the Knight's Keep or any other house for that matter will have brighter lighting. I don't know if it was due to the lack of windows on the 1st and 2nd levels of the keep, but the interior looked quite dim. It was all dark inside (even the floor tiles looked quite dark), but bright on the outside and on the roof.

I do hope that this will change (perhaps with the addition of windows and lighting effects of daytime/nighttime) as we move things along as the interior looks kinda like a dungeon!

Still, awesome job 3 months in. Love the character sheet, the entire town, city, dungeon and Firelotus's tavern!

14. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I allready gave my feedback above, but after watching the RTX video the third or fourth time i need to raise a concern. I am wondering by myself, because its so obvious and inconvenient and i forget this every time to mention. I am talking about the small sized items and the micromanagment in your backpack / of your inventory. Some items are so small, that you need a magnifying lens to target the item and you need to be pixel precise to get clicked on it and then moved around. This is nothing new invented by SotA, this run like a thread through all Ultimas and UO which used this inventory system.
    --> Please, please, please can you increase a bit the size of the items in the backpack?

15. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

I know the game still is Pre-Alpha, but I can already tell that it's going in the right direction. And with the right feedback of the community it will be the RPG taht every fantasy fan is looking forward to, no matter which Fantasy World you prefer.

16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I wouldn't worry much about this I'm sure a lot of the icons being used for items such as the chairs which are currently smaller than a wooden board will be replaced and or resized also don't forget we'll have gird and list view as options for or inventory and bags.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

17. Bugos

Bugos Avatar

When and where can we download the demo?

18. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

In December/January/"end of the year"-ish (when the Alpha is released) and probably here.

;)

19. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

(Less snarky answer)

I haven't heard that the demo that was shown at RTX was ever intended to be released, it was just for the Portalarium team to show off their work in progress. Other than art assets and the like, I believe the first playable version of the game that will be available to early backers is the Alpha that is scheduled to be started sometime around the end of the year.

20. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Don't understand me wrong, i won't miss this flexible inventory system and prefer it, but my wish are a bit more convenient icons representing each item in the backpack or bag, which could be a bit bigger in size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.