Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Graphics in R15

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Kara Brae, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Aside from improvements to the overland map, the graphics in R14 looked better. In R15 edges of scenes look like badly painted backdrops, changes in lighting make textures turn almost black, everywhere you look there are bugs. I hope these are things that can be fixed.

I like the Novia overland map, but it is too yellowish for my taste. The Hidden Vale has nicer greens.

I saw a Dev (Scrambler, I think the name was) leaping off mountains on the Novia map. It was really cool. Is this a special ability that can be acquired in game or just the super powers of a Dev? (I suspect the latter)

LordThomas, Kaisa and lollie like this.
  2. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I agree about the graphics. I don't think those things you mentioned though are intended. I also agree that the Novia overland map needs more green. There is too much yellowishness.

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Devs can have amazing super powers.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

perhaps a bit more green, but I so love it so hopefully they keep it as bright as it is. It feels very alive.:)

Shibokain and Montaigne like this.
  5. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

That's all totally fixable. Unity 5 introduced a physically-based shading model; fully moving to it is going to take a *lot* of tweaking. I'm surprised they have it looking as good as they do given the difficulty of the switch.

In the long run, this will help the game look at lot better. But it's going to be rough for a bit as they readjust things.

6. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

I agree to the original post...it's hard to describe, but indeed, the world feels more...painted now.
    Abovenyquist: Thanks for the info. I just hope that when and if they do tweak it more and maybe make it look more similar to r14 again, it won't cause more problems with performance. Had to change my settings a bit to get rid of some serious FPS-problems last night. I don't have a "gaming PC" by all means, but it works with a lot of rather recent games without problems, but went bonkers on login to SotA until I changed the settings and turned shadows off. I hope Unity 5 with tweaks and adjustments will make the game run more smoothly, and I do think it'd be a good idea to have the game playable even on non-gaming PCs or all new PCs. Not talking about it being playable on a Pentium 1 of course, but I never had issues with FPS on the games I play until last night =)

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I do remember the team saying that the way unity 5 handles data is much more effective and that ultimately but not for a couple of releases it will get significantly better. I beleive Chris said it.:)

abovenyquist likes this.
  8. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

It'll mostly a matter of adjusting parameters that won't add to the computational complexity per se.

Unity 5 should (if it lives up to the hype) allow the devs to make things more efficient in the long run; but it will take a lot of work from them to be able to take advantage of the new features. (And in the meantime, it's going to be a bit of a mess, alas.)

9. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

The Unity 5 upgrade has definitely put more load on my GPU at the moment - the GPU fan has been going mad with the game loaded using same settings as R14/Unity4.

I'm sure it's just a matter of the Dev's doing optimization though.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There are no more light-streaks shining through trees when the moon movies behind the trees.

11. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

sadly, i must ask a negative question again: i thought that maybe my graphics card was going to be too old for this game, because that's why the textures and shadows and lighting were so blocky and dark and off, respectively. now i see that my machine specs exceed the recommended, not just the minimum, and on top of that i have a nvidia gtx500 card, tho i have the 2gig version as opposed to the one gig it ships with.

so why does it look so bad, with the too dark at night and the wierd textures? i would expect that if i had some off brand card or was using something underpowered, but i have what they recommend, so shouldn't it look good? they are building it for my card, right? or do I have this wrong? is there a setting post that optimizes sota for nvidia that i missed?

my reasoning was watching the devcam hangout, and they didnt seem to lag, or anything when panning. so i wonder if they are using the same equipment as me, i should have the same result

also, it DOES look painted, like it reminds me of oblivion when you take that quest to throw paint thinner at ogres inside a magic painting. Oil painting looking. its getting better and better

The Hendoman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.