Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Travel Speed on Overworld Map Is It Too slow? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Miganarchine, Feb 28, 2015.

?

Travel Speed on Overworld Map Is It Too Slow?

1. Yes Speed It Up Please!

60.2%
  2. No It's Just Fine As It Is!

39.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I think it is, After a lot of playtime I will get fed up with it and move on to another game, Just saying!

Budner, amaasing and Good Speed like this.
  2. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

It feels very tedious. Especially if you encounter a "slow" area, even if on a road.

I would like to explore the area around Ardoris, but it's just to tedious. So I look for external sources to plot my way directly. There goes exploring ...

Budner and Montaigne like this.
  3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

If you increase Travel Speed you directly decrease the feel of a large map.

Also they will one day implend horses - and Walking should stay the slowest form of travelling.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I hope the Overworld map will continue to become a richer experience. The time spent won't seem as bad if there is more going on....

It makes you intentional about the journeys you take too

5. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

Well, if my travel speed would increase while using the Cocoanuts I would be happy! No need for real horses so far.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Basically I like that you walk more slowly on rough terrain, but I think the slow speed could be a bit faster. Also there sometimes seems to be rough terrain even on roads...

FrostII, Kether, Budner and 2 others like this.
  7. Culann

Culann Avatar

I like the walking as well, but I find it gets quite tedious in Novia. This wasn't a problem for me in the Hidden Vale. Walking distances are relatively short due to the smaller map and the road system is more consistent for the fast walk. Hopefully the roads in Novia will be improved. Also, as the Novia map expands, the need for horses will be increase so let's get that stretch goal rocking'.

I like this idea...at least for the pre-alpha and alpha phases. I can picture all these avatars skipping along the overland map. Not too graceful but it would get the job done and bring a degree of levity to the overland map! And let's face it, when was the last time you saw someone clip clopping along with the coconuts? Perhaps it is time to give them a functional purpose beyond amusement.

Lord Baldrith and amaasing like this.
  8. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

I _want_ to decrease the feel of the large map. Its punitive. Until there are mounts, walking speed should be faster.

amaasing likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That wouldn't make any sense, If you make it to fast people will be flying around the cities....

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  10. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

Speed is a matter of perception.

You might travel from A to B in the same time, but at a higher zoom level you have the impression that you move faster.
    At full out zoom you might be watching pixels flip, this would be perceived as "slow" while at high zoom you have the feeling of stuff happening fast while avoiding canyons, trees and monsters.
    So maybe its not a matter of map size and sped but more of interesting stuff to do and "entertainment value" of the - game!
    Not forgetting this is pre-alpha I would like to have more interesting stuff to do in the beta and final version of the game.

btw. having an encounter every 2 cm of the map is not helping, either. It just makes me sit in front of my screen having to watch the loading screen, run to the exit of the encounter map, watch the loading screen again.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  11. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

I was talking about the overland map. I assume mounts would increase movement speed on the overland map. I'm just asking for that same speed now while walking until the mounts are in place.

12. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I think change in travel time depending on terrain makes sense. It adds the feel that you are journeying/questing and not sprinting on a nintendo game from point A to point B to get X items/experience. It will give mounts more of a purpose as well as other forms of transportation. The original Ultimas included environmental constraints to travel and they are rpg classics. So what's the rush? Travel should actually mean something. The addition of more meaningful combat and non combat random encounters will likely help improve some people's perception of travel as well.

Tahru, Moiseyev Trueden and Ronan like this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I don't mind the slow speeds when it's warranted but it's just all over the place and inconsistent right now. The map still need tons of polish and bug fixes in this regard.

14. amnipar

amnipar Avatar

In general, I think the travel speed is ok. But there are some spots where the toon gets stuck in the middle of a road, slows down, and then speeds up having passed the roadblock. Of course there could be real rough spots in the road, but they should be visible. Probably these are just bugs that will be sorted out.

I think it makes sense that travel takes time, especially away from roads, but there should be some incentive for exploring. It should be possible to spot by chance some interesting locations, such as caves and good mining locations while exploring the mountains. Not just random encounters. Might be nice to set a goal, such as going prospecting to increase chances of finding locations with ore. Then, while mining, there might be an attack. But of course random encounters will improve.

Also, there should be more interesting things to do on the overland map, such as camping for the night (there should be incentive for doing that, and something to do while the toon sleeps).

Moiseyev Trueden and Malchor1 like this.
  15. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Ah holding up and camping should be an option but
    With a lack of a sleeping option i'm not sure how that would work. Maybe in single player ?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  16. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

It would be a bad idea to speed it up, once horses are introduced we will be travelling way to fast.

17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

god, I have carpel tunnel and a sore elbow from all that moving around. It's horrible.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would wish for travel on the map to be sped up every where. I always use the num-lock key instead of holding the the mouse whevever posible, it does help.:)

19. muted

muted Avatar

I understand that they had to do the overhead map... partly because of design choices and partly because of their budget, that is what I assume.

but at the moment, it's just busy work, there's no sense of exploration, the crawling pace and the random encounters ( and I understand they will re-work them ) just don't make for a pleasurable experience.
    I was going through the grand tour and probably rage quit 3 times yesterday, that is not good.

I understand that the game is still in pre alpha and with added life and interactivity traveling might feel less tedious... but then again, anyone who's traveled with their family knows how tedious it can be.

majoria70 likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its not a big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.