Any good book recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Damian Killingsworth, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

It's impossible that no one mentioned yet the

Discworld books by Terry Pratchett
    All books from Douglas Adams
    Neverwhere, Coraline, Good Omens, American Gods, Stardust by Neil Gaiman (basically .. all of his books & comics)

I listen to the unabridged discworld audiobooks for 10 years now, and they are still so funny and witty that I can not imagine to ever stop listening to them ever!

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

These are fun light reads if you like comedy and a lighter read there a good choice.

3. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

4. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Installed Calibre today. Working better than expected. Thanks.

5. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

terry goodkind, sword of truth. for that niche war wizard feel

fyerwall and Doom Angel like this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

The book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

$4.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Book-of...53351702-/231479438128?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

"The Book of Five Rings" is one of the most insightful texts on the subtle arts of confrontation and victory to emerge from Asian culture. Written not only for martial artists but for anyone who wants to apply the timeless principles of this text to their life, the book analyzes the process of struggle and mastery over conflict that underlies every level of human interaction. "The Book of Five Rings" was composed in 1643 by the famed duelist and undefeated samurai Miyamoto Musashi. Thomas Cleary's translation is immediately accessible, with an introduction that presents the spiritual background of the warrior tradition. Along with Musashi's text, Cleary translates here another important Japanese classic on leadership and strategy, "The Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War" by Yagyu Munenori, which highlights the ethical and spiritual insights of Taoism and Zen as they apply to the way of the warrior.

Cordelayne and Doom Angel like this.
  7. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

I have been a huge sci fi & fantasy reader for the past 45 years. After buying so many paperbacks over the years, the e-reader has been a blessing.

Amazon has free books, often the first book in a series.
    Baen Book does about the same. I got hooked on several series there.

Many libraries "loan" ebooks for a discrete time period.

There are a lot of "classics" that download for free. Just google for free ebooks, kindle etc. I would really fill up on anything free that strikes your fancy.

Hard not to recommend the Tolkein Hobbit + Trilogy, I keep finding new stuff in there. Ready Player One is my clear recent favorite. I heard it read by Wil Wheaton, it was great. Anathem, and ReamDe also.

Wheel of time was a bit laborious through the middle, but all those myriad of threads do come together at the end. Worth it if you are patient, I was reading them as they came out every few years.

Modesitt, Sanderson, Tad Williams, and many others listed here are all great.

For a break from sciFi and fantasy, consider some Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, or Randy White fiction.

Have fun, and good luck.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

[​IMG]

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest , steampunk & zombies - incredible read.

9. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i would highly highly recomend any book on this page. sadly i used to own all of them as well till i was robbed a few years ago when the wife and i got seperated but anyhow this website page has almost every great book i read as a child

http://www.trhickman.com/my-works/

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

try out this free service. great deals on books only in the genres and formats (physical, ebook, which TYPE of ebook..) you want.

www.bookbub.com

i've gotten quite a few awesome books that way, most of which were free or not more than 4 bucks.

11. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I have enjoyed the following Authors:

David Eddings: The Belgariad, Mallorean also as a separate seriesElenium & Tamuli

Raymond E Feist: Riftwar Cycle (Probably one of my favourite series of books. My first book in this series was 'Magician Apprentice')

Terry Brooks: Shannara Series (In storyline chronological order Shannara Series)

Tracey Hickman: Chronicles and Legends were my first books in this list.

R. A. Salvatore: List of Books. Famous for the Series that includes Drizzt Do'Urden, he also wrote a series called The Cleric Quintet which is separate and I think every bit as good.

Kristen Britain: Green Rider Series

These are just a few of the good authors from the top of my head. I've read others that I enjoy as well but there should be enough here to keep you busy for a while.

Kara Brae and Doom Angel like this.
  12. bryantcalli

bryantcalli Avatar

Sword of truth series by terry good kind.

13. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Avatar

If you like Vonnegut you might also like Asimov. The Foundation series is a good place to start. And with the original trilogy are two more books added to the series. Then add in the Robot and Empire series which are cross referenced in the Foundation trilogy and you've got a few months of interesting reading.

14. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

For those of you who have read REAMDE, is there any accuracy into the goings on behind the scenes of an MMO game as detailed in the book?

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

As others have mentioned, Sanderson, Rothfuss, Goodkind, Hickman & Weis all all great. If you didn't read them growing up, the Prydain Chronicles are available one book now (inspiration for, and much better than, the Black Cauldron). The Mercy Thompson series is good, as it the Desden Files (I would suggest the audiobooks of the later). Felicia Day has her autobiography out, as does Aisha Tyler, both are good reads. The Gentleman Bastards series is excellent, if dark. Austin Grossman and Ernie Cline have similar styles that gamers will like. I'm currently reading the Larry Corellia MHI series, with Matt Wallace's Sin du Jour next up.

You should read Indi Martin's Gina Harwood series; great modern Lovecraftian horror by a fellow SotA community member. She also did the SotA licensed comic, which you can get digitally.

16. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I couldn't agree more on this one! I read it every few years and always feel better about myself and the universe afterwards. On The Road ain't bad either.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Oooh Ooooh! Reading the updated thread I recognize many of my old favorites.

I loved the Riftwar series by Raymond Feist when I first read it, but I can't remember a thing about it. Time to pick it up again!

I loved Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile and her Galactic Milieu series.

The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman was one of my favorites as were the Dragonlance novels they cooperated on.

I use the Gutenberg.org site to download free ebooks that no longer have copyright restrictions. I just recently re-read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights downloaded from that site and I'm reading some P.G. Wodehouse stories downloaded from there.

I didn't like the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and forced myself to start over several times before I got through it. I hated all the unbelievably obnoxious female characters. I hated the way even extremely minor characters were named and then mentioned again many volumes later. Keeping track of the characters and their affiliations was a chore. I hated the male-fantasy premise that the hero of the story would mate with three beautiful women who loved each other like sisters and were glad to share him. For me, the best volumes are the last ones written by Brandon Sanderson.

When I first started reading the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson, I didn't like it. The main character was really unlikeable and his constant complaining was unbearable. For lack of anything else to read I stuck with it, however, and ended up really liking the series (though Thomas Covenant himself, a true anti-hero, remained unlikeable).

The Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings used to be favorites, and I re-read them twice. I started re-reading the Belgariad just recently, and was a bit disappointed. Having since read epic series like Game of Thrones where the characters have a lot of depth, the Belgariad characters seemed superficial in comparison. They are still very entertaining, however.

I highly recommend the audio books from Audible.com. I am always listing to audio books while driving, exercising, etc.

Doom Angel likes this.
  18. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I second this Kara! I've been an Audible subscriber for many years now. I'm constantly amazed the the quality of the readers--the ability to read in many different voices, and remember which voice belongs to which character is astounding.

Right now I'm listening the the Cycle of Arawn trilogy by Edward Robinson. Before that was Name the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Both have been excellent.

19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I can't believe you said you are listening to the Cycle of Arawn right now. I am, too! It is a great deal at one credit for around 70 hours of listening, and it is narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds, who is absolutely brilliant. The Cycle itself is not one of my favorites, though. Have you listened to The Riyria Chronicles series by Michael J. Sullivan, also narrated by Reynolds? That series really made the main characters come alive.

I'm always looking for audio book recommendations - the reader is so very important. I listened to The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear twice, and am impatiently waiting for the third volume in the Kingkiller Chronicles. I actually have two subscriptions - one on audible.de and one on audible.com, so I never run out of credits:)

20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

decided to re-read the wheel of time books... still enjoying them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.