Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

No motivation for crafting w/o a house

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Caliya, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Using your 9% paid for 61% of the game........

If we have 100 people doing something in a village, and 9 of them get to tell the other 91 what to do, or not, I think you all would have your houses burned down. (This would be 9% vs. the 91%)

No seriously.

That model does not appeal to the 91, which are the majority of backers. Dollars do not represent the people.

Just because someone has more money does not mean they should have more say. No matter how you cut it, it's what's going on in many countries all over the world. And you can see the reaction - protests, fighting, wars, economies failing, and all the rest.

It's an old and outdated model that people are finding simply doesn't work. But more than that, the majority of people are not happy with that model and won't support it.

Sure, a few people get rich. And they like it that way. But it doesn't mean the majority are happy. Nor will the numbers of investors increase with such a model. You'll have a niche crowd who hopes to milk the less fortunate. The length of time those less fortunate stick around - well, we're seeing some fallout, and some hopefuls. But time will really tell.

I mean, still I like the community model you're setting up in your town. But you can already see by some of the responses in this thread, not everyone is glowing about these kind of dynamics in a game that should be fun for the majority, not the minority. This is when we get people saying silly things about "elitists."

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The "9% paid for 61%" wasn't a guess by Spoon, it is actual stats from portalarium. The limited housing promise is attracting the largest percentage of the funding that is making the game possible to exist. A promise that raised more than half of the games funding is not going to be broken, it has nothing to do with those backers having more say. What we can and are trying to do is design public and shared areas (like PAXLair, Lux Sanctuary and others are doing) and make more suggestions about limited versions of housing (like the instanced tavern rooms).

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agree with what you see in the real world, which we could discuss all day in another context/forum.

However it does not translate to the gaming world. This since in the game effort actually pays of unlike the real world. If you spend enough time and effort in a game you WILL become successful. That is not the case in the real world.

Now since you like to compare to real world I will make an anology.
    I'm saying if we tax the rich at a higher premium we can afford better features/infrastructure for all.
    While if we tax everyone at the same rate, then we cannot afford such features/infrastructure, and we need to raise the taxes for everyone. This will disproportionate hit the poorest people shutting them out of the society.

In game terms, would you pay $150 for half the game play/features in SotA?
    How many do you think would pay that?
    Do you think such a price tag would hit the poor player base or the rich player base?

Back to your hundred people with 9 who got perks and 91 who didn't. Then if you even it out then only about 20 would play instead of 100 since the rest cannot afford it. That is more exclusive, not less.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I have railed against the mentality that high level backers have more say or are more informed then others since the beginning. I have seen incredibly bad things said by both low backers and high backers. The truth is the game needs both to survive so that we don't get an empty world for those playing online.

The high level backers acting as if they are some sort of real life baron here aren't doing themselves any favors. Most people will eventually just ignore you anyways, you really need to stop.

Now, as for the housing and crafting...I agree it is a leg up to have a house in this game. I have always felt that way. I'm hoping that those that persevere will eventually get houses. I really want everyone to have a fair shot of enjoying the game.

Caliya and Kaisa like this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

They ARE more informed.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I still don't see the the relevance of trying to do the whole "housing isn't fair" thing and using crafting as the excuse.

What use is housing in craft? None other than having convenience of having a crafting table next to a chest.

I tried crafting over the last week without using a chest and I have no problems at all. You get the resource you need from either your bank or NPC, you walk to a public crafting table and you craft. I pity those who find that element of walking/movement demotivating.......in fact I am amazed they manage the effort to summon the strength to turn their computers on, let alone double click an icon and enter a username and password.

Noone needs a house to craft. For those who would 'like' the convenience of having a box next to a crafting station; there are several options:

1: Join a guild that provide storage and crafting solutions for it's members.
    2: Make friends with a player who has a house and is happy for you to have a chest in it.
    3: Take your time, work hard and with a little bit of 'luck' you will obtain your own property.
    4: Purchase a row deed for a mere $85........that's a tank of petrol, 14 pints of beer or 7 packs of cigarettes where I come from (now that's what i call real sacrifice)
    5: Purchase an Ancestor pledge for $275

There has been numerous threads having a dig over housing........it isn't going to change.......the options are set out above. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the housing model that has been selected; if anything it makes housing more meaningful and interesting.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Some are...some aren't....they are no different then any other posters here...some are even worse;)

Caliya likes this.
  8. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Only because they can read the Dev+ forums and get incredible amounts of gold to test the game.

As for the large dollar backers not having more say: Dev+ exists for them alone.

Need I say more?

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I can honestly say that nothing really exciting happens in Dev+. It tends to consist of the following:

- Getting to test a couple of days before each release, this tends to be seeing all the major bugs, reporting them to get the game reasonably clean for the main launch.
    - Occasionally seeing a Dev post several days before it is posted within general forms.
    - Occasionally a place for Devs to gauge player reaction to a possible idea before committing to it.

If anyone really thinks that the Dev+ section extends much further than what i have mentioned, they are very much mistaken. The majority of real debates and ideas happen within general forums; a good idea is a good idea and a bad idea is a bad idea.

10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Because we've moved pretty far off topic, and I don't want the forum mods to jump on us, I've moved my comments to this post here. :)

I don't want to change the subject in this thread, because my main point really was that I felt more motivated to play the game and especially craft, because I had a house. I'm trying to give positive feedback in that regard. I didn't want to drag down the other decisions about the game in this thread (really I did not). :)

majoria70 likes this.
  11. G Din

G Din Avatar

Well for $400 they better get more perks lol

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Not sure what you mean, since we were discussing how if they were more informed or not...not if they deserved more perks.

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is entirely true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.