PVP/PVE instances

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TantX

TantX Avatar

It'll all be for naught if there's only 500 people to develop for this time next year. Hope and nostalgia are marketing elements, they don't keep the lights on. If they want everyone to play the game "they want to play" (single player, friends-only, PvP-optional, etc.) then they need to go full circle. A lot of systems are being half-assed and they're banking on it. We all are, as backers.

This game is lukewarm, and people will spit it from their mouths if we do not define it better.

blaquerogue likes this.
  2. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Never played Siege Perilouse so i cant say one way or another... and to be honest I like the way SotA has it set up.... i do not have to chose between playing with PvE friends or PvP friends... I dont need a toon for when im in the mood to PVP or one for if im in the mood to PvE as often the mood changed in a blink of an eye depending on what is going on.

3. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

Wow a long tangled line of disconcerted thoughts... i do most things in this game. why cause i enjoy all of them... i have friends that only craft in this game and i have friends that only pvp in this game...

TO EACH THIER OWN...

why does a pvmer want to take away a pvper area. creating an area so you can safely wander around a very very small part of the game ? have you even spent any time on brave coast or either shard fall. yes its pretty but holy crap its boring as hell.

I spent 4 straight hours in there yesterday (not naming which one on purpose) guess what in that 4 hours only 1 person showed up on the map about 2 hours into being there and was gone 3 seconds later...

has pvmers we have tons of content that was added just for us... dungeons, quests, and most importantly the ability to never see pvp if we don't want to. everything u need in the game can be found outside pvp areas. you dont have to go there and you wont be left out...

So why in the hell are we trying to be greedy little brats and saying that omg you (pvpers) got something that we don't have and we want it as well. Im sorry that is not right. it has no bearing on game content or game play. its a playground for pvpers to hopefully entice people to come and risk the area for monetary gains which in truth probably wont be much better anywhere else.

the only solution i would be even remotly acceptable to is creating a small area that has 0 benifets some where that just looks pretty low end resources and i mean like 10 xp resources and not many of them or on a really huge map spread out all over the place. ie total waste of time to go there cause the resouce gains are spread very thin and make it a non pvp access only. would this satisfy you. you get your very own special place too.

ugg the ITS THE ITS NOT FAIR 2 YEAR ARGUMENT ALL OVER AGAIN.

ohh wait if we do that then it wouldnt be fair to the pvpers cause their is a place they cant go see where now you do have the choice to go to these areas and visit them

4. TantX

TantX Avatar

I didn't play it either; I was having too much fun on Catskills to start all over on another server. I just now it was extremely successful, and still would be if UO's expansions and gameplay didn't chase off a sizable portion of its playerbase. As for needing separate toons, I mean it would be the same toon just like if you wanted to run SPO/FPO/MMO, it wouldn't change. But the "spillage" referred to earlier is very much a symptom of a greater issue:

Many paying backers are not satisfied with how SotA has it set up. It might be little things, it might be big things. If we can already just go "Fine, I don't want to play with anyone right now" or "I'm only going to play with people I like", then why not have one for PvPers who want to only play with people who feel similarly? At this point, Portalarium is just making concessions, but as I mentioned before, they're half-assed. They don't really make PvPers want to invest or feel immersed, and PvMers still have to venture into Shardfalls, which many continuously (and vehemently) say they don't want to do.

We've already split the playerbase up significantly. This isn't a true MMO. There isn't a real need to work with anyone, and more specifically, interact with everyone, as you just need a handful of friends to go play with. What's another line in the sand going to do at this point other than put the PvPers in a ruleset that makes them happy and still allow the die-hard PvMers/anti-PvPers what they wanted before?

blaquerogue and Keira OFaolain like this.
  5. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I Agree with you to a point.. the problem i see with it is, ok I can play PvP (server for lack of a better word) well my non PvP friends would then not be their I could not be running around with them and run into a random PvP fight (that i enjoy 1000 x 's better then the random encounters)
    Trust me if they did make a PVP "Server" I would be all in and their most of the time and I would even go as far as to say bring on the full loot. however their is a ((5 chance it is not going to happen or if it does not for a few years. right now as you pointed out earlyer is actualy the lack of content. very few engage in RP, their are only a handful of quests, a handful rewards to go after. right now it is mostly stand and round and kill critters after critters that you have pretty much the same odds of killing whether your lvl 5 or 60+ or stand around Pvping your friends with the occasional random person or guild thrown into the mix.

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. Goatwiz

Goatwiz Avatar

I believe that to be "fair" if a game has resources or rares that are only available in one style of play, then that rare should only be able to be used in that area. for example if a rare item is found only in a pvp that area, it is a normal item in pve and enhanced in some way in pvp. If an item is found as loot from a monster or quest in pve then it has enhanced properties in pve and is normal against other players. The same should go for resources, if they are found only in pvp areas they should only enhance characteristics of items used in pvp and be decorative only in pve, and vice versa with resources found on quests or as loot in pve.

7. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I would be good with this how ever lets take it one step further to keep in line of "fairness" all resources and items crafted in Sp mode can only be used in Sp mode. same with friends only... as well as any gold you have collected in each mode.

8. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

I would be ok with PVP zones if there was some kind of cooldown timer to flag a murderer as an enemy of all civilized towns and villages which if repeated could be permanent and which allows people in PVE zones to attack them at will, regardless of zone. How bout that for fair? Or do you Keira, still think PVPers should have their cake and eat it to?

9. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Again i would be good with a murder system, but i would reverse it i would make it a person can be flagged murderer if engaged in PvP in a none PvP area. making where they can only buy or sell in a PvP area zone for X amount of time.

10. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i don't get this? what is the goal here... if your not flagged pvp you cant get attacked in a town that isn't pvp enabled... are you some how think it will punish a pvper by flagging him a murder? most pvpers i know would love that. it would allow them the ability to attack new and exciting people... and ban them permanently or for a set amount of time from cites never worked in any game as a deterrent to stop pvp or even bad pvp behavior. not hard to bypass that in so many ways so in essence you want a system that actually gives pvpers what they want as punishment and in the extremes create a system for the developers to create that is so ineffective at keeping said person (r/l) from accessing towns. take a stroll down memory lane reds were not allowed in tram yet low and behold they were all their hanging out in the banks.

what cake i want some cake.... im sorry in my honest opinion pvp in the game has gotten the short end of the stick... yet people still cry that pvmers are getting screwed somehow. i dont see it. i really dont. not one topic on here has shown me that pvmers are getting screwed.

A) not one item in a pvp area cannot be found outside of pvp area it is just a reduced chance or longer spawn timer.
    so in other words no pvp content is exclusive to pvp
    B) not full loot or world pvp unless flagged
    very pro anti pvp
    C) have we forgotten this wasnt built as a sandbox but has an actual game tied to it. every action has a reaction... if your evil there are built in repercussion just as if you good there is built in repercussions.

THIS THREAD APPEARS MORE ON THE LINES I DON'T LIKE PVP AND THEY HAVE SOMETHING THAT I WANT TO CONTROL.

bottom line is why is this such an issue. omg there is a place in the game that is pvp enabled who cares. go if you want don't go if you don't want. but for (blank) sake pvmers own 95 percent of the map... and are crying over not having 5 percent of the map? really.... seriously really

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'd be cool with that......I'm a murder so a PvE char can attack me ......which means I can attack them back after the instigate the combat........sounds fine.

How will you like your cake btw? :)

12. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

I'll like it just fine as I've seen this before in a couple games and what happens to people flagged in such a manner. *shrugs*

13. TantX

TantX Avatar

Unfortunately, that's the game you're playing: one where it segregates people, including your friends and your potential friends. If I make a handful of friends and only feel like I want to play with them, then I can FPO and boom, done. I don't necessarily have to meet or play with anyone else. That means you and I don't get to stumble into one another being chased by baddies in Shardfall and have an impromptu alliance to stave off our deaths, becoming friends, simply because I felt I made "enough friends" and play with them in FPO.

I personally don't think content is the issue. Sure, it gets repetitive, but instead of talking about what I can't wait for, I constantly feel like I'm wondering what I backed. In Star Citizen, I have an advertisement for contracting services; I've set up affiliations for contacts and future business partners; I've been tapped for building organizations' infrastructure. It has even less playable content, by far, than SotA does at this point, but I know where it's going. I think a lot of people don't know where SotA is going, which is why there's speculation and a lot of suggestions to fundamentally change the game. We take what little we know and, from there, try to make it work.

We're in pre-alpha, lots can still change, and for the better.

Aldo and Keira OFaolain like this.
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

That wouldn't feel right. I'd feel like I was cheating. I'd rather sneak in at 4AM in my underwear (this is not something I tend to do in real life, I hasten to add) and tiptoe around, taking pictures.

Aldo likes this.
  15. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I agree with your Vision and I am still of the mind it will all work and many things will even out... with the folks that are not death to any form of PvP . and believe it or not they are many, their just quiet and dont really speak up...mostly because their sick of listening to the death to PvP mentality and I honestly dont blame them it is not often I engage in it any more my self.... I used to spend a lot of time here battling it out now its only here or their when im in a argumentative mood :)

But seriously I do believe their will be a lot of Opportunity folks like you and I to hire out and venture into the areas for things others like the OP are not willing to go among other things such as forming both guild and personal alliances for various reasons

Dewderonomy likes this.
  16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Without commenting on the "what ruined UO" question, I must ask, if SOTA goal is a non-divided community, why are the most active threads those which discuss divisive issues? I posted with the hope that more agreement could be reached through consensus rather than compromise. IRL, I learned that the most strife is caused by compromise. It never works and makes people bitter. Consensus is a valid alternative and just might work.

Your observation that two separate "shards" would essentially be the same thing, I think is a good point. However SOTA will allow PVP across the board to those flagged, which really is a different scenario than any yet tried in UO. This will in fact contribute to greater community interaction as RG hopes, at least I think so. The residual division can be addressed, hopefully with suggestions that can satisfy both groups.

17. TantX

TantX Avatar

Unless they can log into single-player mode and do it without worry.

I know the vocal among us are only representative of greater parties. My concern is how many, on either side, are still playing and, more importantly, planning to continue paying after launch with the current core mechanics. I see a lot of people voice the pro-PvM/anti-PvP side of the debate on these forums, but I know that there's a couple hundred thousand dollars (if not multiple millions) supporting this game right now that did not come from people of that mindset. Their silence troubles me. SotA is not an island in a vacuum - there are and will be alternatives.

It was tried.

It was called Trammel.

18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

As far as I know, UO was always 100% PVP (early days), or divided (Trammel/Felluca). Other than guild flagging in Trammel and such, there has been no open flagged pvp available there.

19. TantX

TantX Avatar

Order/Chaos and Factions. They're now doing a Good/Evil-like system (not quite what Abyss had, for those who remember it, but effectively another faction-esque system).

20. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I heard this too, Themo.

Keira OFaolain and Themo Lock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.