PVP/PVE instances

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

The reason their is such a fight between PvP vrs Non PvP is actually a fairly simple folks are passionate about their stance. the loudest PvEers push or insinuate that their should be NO PvP, or complain if their is a aspect of the game that perhaps does cater to PvP more then PvE.

the flip side is PVPers would love to have completely open full loot PVP... most here know it is not going to happen, and truth be known, while they are not happy about it are good with what we have been promised.... However we listen to so much anti PvP we dig our heels in deeper. I have listened to many PvE folks talk about how their should be No loot on more threads then i can count. it dont seem to matter to them that PvP want loot and by us having loot full partial or what ever it is not going to effect them one way or another because their not flagged so why are they so against it? why can PvP not have their own small map i know many who are not usually flagged PvP it is not their normal play style why can they not go to a open PvP area and join in on a Alliance / guild war that is taking place with out first having to flag? with out some one crying it isnt fair to them because they want to go to that area with out having to PvP.

First off Therm Lock corrected me they will not be able to go to some places in Sp. PvE will just have to cry about it.....

How many on either side is still playing? well it varies to be honest. some folks get board with Alpha and step back for a release or two only to come back when they see a grater progress then you can when you playing day to day. others log in the first few days of a new release then back off for the rest of it . I can only speak for my self and that is someplace in between.... I dont play for as long or everyday as i used to but i can still be found in game often enough... I also know many who have a Acct and are simply happy to wait until release, just as their are others who are still very much active but dont feel the need to wast their breath on the forums... calling it a toxic cease pool.... many days I see their point :)

Dewderonomy likes this.
  2. Interitus

Interitus Avatar

People are entirely too prejudice against pvp. I'm not a PvPer in general, unless I'm playing a game based around it (like Planetside 2). But I did play UO and other MMO's where they had pvp, and it was a chance. You know what happens? People look out for each other. Unless you have experienced a game with open world pvp, I find people have a very jaded view of what it is. That as soon as you step out of town you will be murdered. And that the rivers run red with the blood of the innocent.

It's not like that.

People protect one another. Known PKers are hunted. The opportunity for pvp gives an entire different experience, because there is that lurking danger. It's like original EverQuest or UO. Where if you died, you had to run all the way back to your body to get your gear. That made you cautious. Not just of players, but of dying in general, it meant something. Where running across a continent was a feat, because if you died it actually set you back.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really? I'm glad you posted your unbiased view on what happens on the forums, PVErs are the bad guys, and PVPers only react to being attacked for anti PVP. Your whole post labels pver's as crying...do you think you will get the response you want?

At the moment, the game has zones being made for PVP only. There are no zones that you cannot flag for PVP. The whole map can be played that way. If it is as popular as some of you think enough of you should flag in order to have fun, or am I missing something?

I brought up that I would like to adventure through that area without having to play a fantasy version of a shooter. I want the see the lore areas, and go adventuring, I would have no effect on the world of the PVPer.

I honestly see a lot of these posts attacking one play style, and not the other....it used to be that this wasn't allowed.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I support the inclusion of PvP, Open PvP via the Blessing of the Oracle, and the presence of the Shardfall scenes.

5. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Im not attacking PvE, why would I PvE is about 80% of what I or anyone els does in game... (oh wait im talking to Rune let me clearify the 80% i mentioned is not by any means a scientific percentage) what I am saying is it is mainly the pvers who complain the most about a fraction of the game that has prety much zerro impact on their play style... you are right you as a pvers have zerro effect on my play as a PvPer either... except for the fact you and a few others continuously complain about what elements that are implemented for my PvP

Pamela Eldritch likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, I am not surprised by how you answered me, I'm sorry you feel that people who are interested in the whole game, not just a part are continuously complaining. I guess I won't expect a civil conversation from you.

It's unfortunate you twisted an honest question by the OP into something it was not by saying he was having a tantrum. We all paid into this game and we all have the right to be heard, even if you don't like it.

7. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I guess you also missed the many time i simply asked How is the OP being told he could not enter a PVP area....

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Which you knew he already knew how he could as long as he went pvp, he was asking for something different. Which he made clear in the starting post.

You then told him to get on his "big boy pants", which added very little. I have yet to see any solid reason given that areas should be designed for pvp only, using valuable resource time that the rest of the game needs, when they could really use those areas as multiple purpose areas, since they seem to be steeped in lore, important events in game. Through this thread and another it has been made clear it is not the reward people are after, but the exploration.

I'm having a hard time coming up for reasons why this would affect anyone if they explored the area in SPO? You wouldn't see them, they wouldn't see you. Is it because they should spend resources and have special areas just for pvp? Because at the moment that's all I can figure out from this.

9. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Rune i will try to ratialize this with you for the sake of trying even though you and I are never going to see eye to eye and never have...... tell me just how many areas are their in SotA that are PvE? then tell me exactly how many areas are set to open PVP... then after you give me the numbers explain to me exactly what is unfair about the difference in the numbers of the two different play styles

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

95% pve
    100% pvp (with flag)

It's wasted resources.

11. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

im not talking flags im talking map that cater a bit more to PvP then PvE because the 99% of the maps you need to be flaged that is not open PvP that is selective PvP

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's a twist, since if people want PVP, they will flag. But that's not even the point, I didn't say take those areas out, I'm fine with them being there....but why limit them to only PVP areas in SPO? There is no benefit in restricting them if they don't have the extra resources. I'm not arguing against the areas, just your reasoning why they can't be explored. You still haven't answered that other then to fall back on "how many areas are designed just for us".

13. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

A few releases ago you all were complaining that folks were PvPing in Owls Head..... Now you all are complaining that PvP gets less then a handful of open PvP maps, im sorry it it seems like children not getting their way in every aspect of the game but it honestly does feel that way.

14. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Ok.. what benefit will it serve Sp to have a map for PVP when their is no one to fight? it wont simply be the rare resources as im fairly sure they will be some place with in the world of SP or how els will Sp players be able to craft the recipes that call for it

15. TantX

TantX Avatar

If the PvP isn't meaningful, the PvPers will leave. That's money that doesn't fund Episode 2 and 3 and so on. Relying on SPO will kill future iterations of SotA; if people think Portalarium is going to be able to fund four more Episodes through interest in the SPO, they're in for a surprise. A lot of the money backing SotA right now comes from people who threw money at Lord British, wearing rose-colored glasses and waving the banners of hope and nostalgia in equal parts UO2.0 hype and Ultima reborn hype. Connections with friends, an interesting universe to play in, exciting game mechanics, and meaningful investment through time and effort is what's going to get people paying money.

Problem is, you have playable modes that keep people from interacting like most MMOs. The universe doesn't stand out as strikingly intriguing, not anymore than any other vanilla fantasy MMO out there. There are zero exciting game mechanics, most of which are just standard MMO code copy/pasted. And people are interested in exploration? In a heavily dissected, instance-riddled map with clumps of trees bottle-necking you to a stone arch exit?

This topic keeps popping up for a reason. I'd say see the forest for the trees, but most of us already know there's no forest, just a boundary.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Another one of these posts lashing out at anyone who feels differently, and yet you say we are the ones acting like children.

Fill it full of monsters, it is an interesting area lore wise....how is it not? It's a shardfall...not some random map....I wouldn't give a crap if it was some random field or mountain side.

So people exploring in SPO who won't go there to PVP at all makes the PVP less meaningful? Please explain this. These people never would enter the gauntlet that you want, they aren't lost pvpers they just have zero interest. Your disdain for SPO doesn't really change anything, people who play that way, will have the option to come into full online and interact when they chose. I will play in between modes a lot I bet, I have a house and lot. To be honest I am seeing a lot of people really pushing for UO2 here and not seeing what the game is.

17. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

What is unfair again? You are complaining that you wont be able to freely access PvP areas without PvPing? Is it the existence of PvP that bothers you? This complaint is mystifying. You say "openly exclusionary" as if those words had some kind of meaning. What do you think they mean? Read the other threads on this.

(I am feeling a little "excluded" that I cant dry loot other players, but I live with it.)

18. TantX

TantX Avatar

People don't do things that are uncomfortable. They don't think outside the box unless they're forced. They don't come up with solutions that can lead to immersive and interactive gameplay unless they're put in a position to, organically. Here's the difference:

1) SPO: I have to go into an area that could have PvPers. I don't want to PvP. I log into SPO and do my thing. End.

2) MMO: I have to go into an area that could have PvPers. I don't want to PvP. I could:
    • Learn how to PvP, becoming a better gamer or creating an interesting twist in my character's development, turning a timid explorer into a world-worn adventurer;
    • Make friends to help me survive the excursion into dangerous territory, enhancing not only my experience but the experience of others, and be rewarded with a well-rounded social experience and potential victory through teamwork, like a hard fought ball game;
    • Invest into hired help and mercenaries to accomplish your task, creating immersion, storylines, meaningful interactions and relationships.
    Those literally came to me and were typed out in less than 2 minutes. Given enough time, I could easily triple the reasons why given difficulties to overcome in a multi-player experience is better than given an "out" button. Imagine Portal if you could just skip a stage because it was "too hard" instead of thinking through the possibilities and experimenting.

The next part is that of the backers, a couple hundred thousand if not several million dollars that are funding this game as speak were from people wanting UO2.0. Whether they wanted the open PvP or not is up in the air, but they wanted the sequel promised. And it isn't their fault: Portalarium has been very slick in what they're feeding us, or rather what they aren't telling us. "Oh it's a PvM game with a little bit of PvP." Put the PvE players to rest. "Buuuuut there's gonna' be some kind of looting system." Keeps the PvPers' interest piqued. "But look at the houses and the crafting and the world map, and did I mention HOUSES?" PvE'ers drool at the chops. "Though there might be a few places that are open PvP..."

And so on. They aren't defining this game, and so people throw money on the hope that Lord British will deliver "their game" - but we all have different interpretations of what that will be, and given the track record, who knows when something will completely and utterly change in scope? After all, this was a stone's throw away from Zynga's UltimaVille less than two years ago.

Interitus likes this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You seem to misunderstand it's not the challenge people don't want, but the actual dealing with the "you mad bro" people. Some here have this absurd notion that people who don't PVP want easyville. Totally wrong.

I want the game that was promised in the kickstarter, which was not uo2. It wasn't totally ultima either. I really don't care if some people backed thinking it was going to be uo2....it was never stated in the kickstarter at all...they didn't do their research.

20. TantX

TantX Avatar

And yet you think all PvPers are children and trolls. How ironic. I still get a giggle out of thinking of grown men and women in the 40s and 50s shakin' in their boots because 20 years ago some kid in a white robe and a bone helmet PK'd them at the Britain Crossroads. The staunch anti-PvP crowd's vivid reactions to these topics are all too telling. I still hold that they fear the challenge of putting aside pride and potential failure for a chance at greatness.

One of my favorite things in UO (as well as ArcheAge, more recently) was to take people who didn't like PvP or were "tired of it" or whatever lame excuse they came up with, suit them up, head out into open PvP and win with them. That hunger, once engaged, is a terrible thing to satiate. Not one of them ever spoke negatively of PvP again. The problem is these people lose enough, and they condemn it fully from then on out. They just need to feel what it's like to win and see its merits and potential, that's all.

And if not, they can hire someone do their dirty work for them. After all, if what you say is true and they just want the experience and role-play, that the challenge isn't the obstacle itself, why not relish the opportunity to bring PvPers into the picture and engage in good ol' fashioned role-play and interaction?

It was also some gimmicky Facebook game originally, too. Do you want it to go back to a mobile app, then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.