[Petition] Please add skill system like UO style and remove levels

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Genry McToran, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

It is unfortunate that scripting while at work works with any repetitive action - whether that action levels up a skill or gives you a level to put points into a skill.

2. Swan

Swan Avatar

I sign in too.
    Its just plain silly, leveling up in forest killing stuff. And "puff" now you got many skill points to put in crafting.

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I will support the UO style of skill system only if Soul Stones are implemented...

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  4. Amarako2

Amarako2 Avatar

You have not played this game have you? Killing stuff does not let you put points in crafting. Unless you are killing animals and skinning them. Then it is the skinning, which is a gathering skill, that is getting you points to put into crafting.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

You haven't played it recently, have you?

Killing things CAN get you skill points in crafting...

and crafting things CAN get you skill points in killing things...

Tahru likes this.
  6. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I always wondered if the level system was a leftover from the original idea of SotA being a Facebook game. It is far too late for that switch but I gladly sign that petition. In fact, not only do I prefer a use base skill system but the Rate Over Time use skill system from the Siege Perilous shard in UO really was great in that it just made you play the game instead of grinding so much.

http://www.uoguide.com/Rate_Over_Time

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

seems fine to me as is heh (either system is good)

Tahru likes this.
  8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

What ever happened to Richards vision of skill gain based on time spent using said skill? I was so excited to see that.

9. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Probably couldn't come up with a way to make it happen without significant risk of people macroing it to death.

10. G Din

G Din Avatar

They cut corners and wasted time on the card trick combat and conversation system. In the end, they couldn't put the effort and time into making a really nice skill based system. Did we really need all those schools of magic? I was happy with In Lor and Corp Por. A nice little spell book to fill and bam !

Don't forget the wasted time on the 1st pass of the overhead map too.

Once you go Multiplayer , who have to develop the game from that perspective. Because we have this single player offline, single player online, multiplayer online, you can't use the same mechanics and features freely throughout all the modes.

Should have just went back to EA and worked on a UO2. (And I didn't want a UO2 in the beginning, but we should have used more of the features that made UO great)

11. G Din

G Din Avatar

And let me say 1 more thing. The key word is PLANNING. I didn't see a plan or sense of direction during the whole KS. It was like they never talked about the game before the KS began and then just winged it during the campaign. I could be wrong, but when I think back, did we really know the game would have levels, be skill based, have many schools of magic, skill trees, a conversation system, not the overhead map we saw, this awful card based system, etc etc.

There wasn't much thinking going on before the KS i fear and this has led to scraping together features.

Ice Queen likes this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

winging it...hm.. that is a great idea. off to dinner G Din!

Lord Baldrith, G Din and Tahru like this.
  13. TantX

TantX Avatar

And there isn't much direction now. I'd be impressed if someone could sell me on the features of this game. It's beginning to make me wonder if their vagaries and undefined end product is a means to get as many backers from as many sources as possible without cutting any off with definite lines in the sand.

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  14. Amarako2

Amarako2 Avatar

Power gamed for 12 hours straight yesterday, none of my crafting time got me any skill points in combat, and none of my combat time got me any skillpoints in crafting.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Amarako2

Amarako2 Avatar

You realize this whole "Early Access, Pre Alpha, Backer Only" thing is just the new MMO business model. Look at all these games with backing amounts higher than most AAA companies budgets (cough star citizen) that have come close to or passed their planned launch date and are still in alpha or earlier. I really think these games never plan to release. This model allows them to experiment and make mistakes with 100% forgiveness because they can fall back on the line "The game is not released yet"

It is a good business model, because otherwise everyone just waits for the game to go free to play. Because you know if it gets released, that's coming. This is a way to force people to pay for the game if they want to play. It works, I can't knock them, I would do it myself.

Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Narathkor to Shrouds. Now that's a long time to play. I am majoria in the game if you need anthing or want to just say hello?;)

Mata, G Din and Tahru like this.
  17. TantX

TantX Avatar

I don't think so. Star Citizen broke records; most of these companies don't ever make the game they actually Kickstart. AAA titles are in the hundreds of millions, though admittedly it's marketing that costs. But again, outside of Star Citizen, most of them still end up needing to market as their crowdsourcing doesn't drum up enough attention on its own.

I'll be honest: I had about 6 paragraphs typed up about this very thing. I imagine many of you are glad I deleted 'em, and certainly more would be had I posted it. All I have to say is what I've said before and elsewhere: SotA has no direction. The difference between a game like Star Citizen (which was my first Kickstarter I backed) and SotA (which may be my last) is direction. I know exactly where I'll be in one year with SC; I have no idea what SotA will look like this time next year, or what I should expect from it as a game. The core mechanics don't suggest it will deliver on its promises of immersion and simulation, and judging by many similarly themed posts, I have a distinct feeling I am not alone in that concern.

G Din likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yummy. sriracha and habanero buffalo sauced wings, with a pitcher of scotch-style ale.... i can not describe how awesome of an idea that was. thanks again, G Din!

i disagree Dewderonomy (love the name), i believe SOTA does have direction. albeit it is the A.D.D. riddled excited-child-in-toy-store direction of LB. to me, that has a charm all of its own. i see the long term vision as still being very achievable even with wiggle room. the biggest problem people have today is the inability to think outside of the box, and see how the pieces are, or will be, fitting together, even without all the pieces known or in place or even some missing right now. i think the most important thing everyone needs to remember is a paraphrased quote i have of LB himself when he said that "everything is connected" - he seems to have really meant it, and i certainly hope he NEVER budges on that datum. i think that could be the crux to longevity for a game.. make everything interconnected, and it'll act like a living organism and possibly even evolve as time goes on to stay strong.

maybe that charm is so charming to me becuase i too have A.D.D. and absolutely....look bunnies!
    *happily runs away with scissors*

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. TantX

TantX Avatar

I've said this multiple times in about a dozen threads, and you are the first person to say that there is some element of direction. I implore you, because as someone who's come to regret backing, I'm genuinely interested, to tell me what is that direction?

You're obviously very excited, which is a good thing, so I'd like you to really tell me - I dunno', just three things - that would sell someone on this game. Doesn't have to be things I'm personally interested in (I'm adult enough to take these things in stride and look at them from other perspectives), but I'm truly interested in what this game is going to look like in a year, let's say. If you would, please define this game, give me some idea of what I'll be playing, and why you think that.

This isn't a challenge or some passive-aggressiveness, I am wondering how this game will look and what selling points it will have to offer people to invest for Episode 2. (If you would be so kind, think of actual selling points based on concept designs and/or game mechanics, not talking points Garriott made in a fund-raiser video).

ThurisazSheol and Tahru like this.
  20. Amarako2

Amarako2 Avatar

Why would you regret backing. They could pull the plug now and I have my moneys worth lol. As a gamer you have to think of it like this, how many xbox/ps games you got laying around that you enjoyed for all of 1 day, beat it, and wasted those 60 bucks? At least with backing games like this you get bored, they release something new, and you get another day or two of fun out of it. I don't get the people who spent over 2o0$ backing this game, but hey thats their choice, and if it floats their boat sail on!

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.