Which Server Type Would You Choose If Given A Choice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ice Queen, Mar 18, 2015.

?

Which Server Type Would You Choose If Given A Choice?

1. PvE Only

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. PvP Only

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Pve With Contested PvP Areas (ala Shardfalls etc.)

43 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. None

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like SoTA will do this, but if they did. Which server type would you pick?

GingerLee, Budner, Aenra and 2 others like this.
  2. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Woohoo everyone agrees with me! Helps being the only answer.

I like the PvE with some contested areas as it allows me to occasionally PvP when I want to.

Chatele, Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  3. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Hehe

Moiseyev Trueden and Tahru like this.
  4. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

pvp full time, in full world, minus mini-map all zones inter-connected and locked in; to more or less form a full static world, with the addition of time portals for distanced travel.

that way i can have a full war-time economy, and benefit greatly from things like sprint, and more or less wanting to be as far the helllo away i can be from everyone else :D

Tahru, Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Sad day. No longer 100% my way.

Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
  6. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

most people on average opt out of PVP; so statistically you're still in probably the 65% in the long term.

Tahru, Moiseyev Trueden and Ice Queen like this.
  7. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

that said, i mean realistically most servers for WoW were most certainly NOT PVP servers; so --- again, we are the minority to some 60-70%

8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

True, I only played on 1 PvP server that had a decent amount of people. The PvE servers I played on though were always full and the economy was so much better for making money in game, lol.

9. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

the economy on pve servers was actually so drastically better then pvp servers once server transfers became available, the over-all market of all the shards went up with gold inflation, just to reference how much better the economy actually was, that it was more or less divided amongst particular servers because they were so "gold saturated"

so, this is a very true statement, and in fact, probably creepier when you realize with faction switches etc, you were more or less funding gold botting the entire "wow" world over.

thanks for the post, and getting me to give up some insight, :p

Ice Queen, Tahru and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. Sir Baralis

Sir Baralis Avatar

I wish a person could flag themselves for pvp (with stipulations) and then have the ability to fight anywhere against other appropriately flagged persons. I think this with a few areas that were designated pvp zones would be the best middle ground possible.

11. Net

Net Avatar

PvE only wih few exceptions:
    - duels
    - flagging for PvP (either avatars themselves, or towns/lots/basements)
    - PvP arenas (no resources, just areas to fight)

saesa, Gaelis, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's how it works now, or were you being sarcastic?

13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Got to ask. For those that answer None or Other, what would you like to see?

14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I'm gonna go with the assumption of sarcasm.

15. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

I voted for Pve With Contested PvP Areas (ala Shardfalls etc.)

Guess I am happy with the way things are going now. I am all having for options and believe both types of play can co-exist, I like to dabble in both play-styles based on my mood at the time.

Choosing a server with only one type of play limits options further down the road and means rolling alts, I would like to consolidate my efforts on a main character or at least a family of characters on the same server :)

I seriously don't understand why players think the split has to be so far apart - it's already consensual, plenty of MMO games cater to PVE with optional PVP and EVE online does a good job of mixing things up by having security levels on its zones, blurring those borders more - I feel SOTA will be similar with the 0.0 zones of eve replaced by the shardfalls of SOTA.

Kitten, Tahru and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  16. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

I played WoW for years on a PVE format server but spent a hell of a lot of the time PVPing in the battlegrounds, spent months in Tol Barad when that came in, plus duelling - how does that fit into your % of how many people are not PVP?

WoW PVE servers are not fully PVE only but consensual PVP servers. I know quite a few players on WoW who like arenas and other PVP activities and play those almost exclusively despite being on a PVE server, those players also like to raid but their guild raids only happen once or twice a week.

I wish people would realise that there are not just PVP and PVE players but a vast variety of those who sit in the middle ground who do not want their option to choose being taken away.

Net, Logain and Tahru like this.
  17. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

given that they had to cluster zones for large-scale match making to come up with enough people, I would still feel safe on my % approximation even those on PVE servers that PVP'd;; Server groups it would still take like almost 5+ servers to keep bg's rolling throughout the day/night

however, and here comes my calculation variance: If you count pve players that "EVER queued PVP" that grand total, obviously goes up; if you count them as a total, probably like 3:1 for players that did it heavily, but --- i digress my point was more so just addressing the reality that pvpers are a smaller community, and that data is also somewhat backed up by data in relation to trammel/fel

fattymoomooman likes this.
  18. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

I am not so sure that the trammel/fel situation relates well to PVP/PVE in most other MMO titles as nothing has really approached it that way since (starting full open PVP then splitting the world).

UO was odd in that way, I found myself in fel more after the split (due to my guild and having played there years anyway) but as fel devolved to being just somewhere to PVP with little else going on I found myself living in trammel and getting some of my PVP fix through faction warfare and fel visits - in a way fel turned from an open PVP RPG world to just another PVP zone, like a battleground.

The whole split actually (over time) made fel less fun than previously - as I have said in many threads before PVP happened in UO sometimes at the beginning and you dealt with it and learnt to avoid some conflict when you wanted to, but it did not always rule the game world and you could play as a normal RPG a lot of the time, after the split that whole dynamic disappeared and it became more dog-eat-dog and a standard gankfest, and in a way much less fun.

Musou and Kitten like this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I vote for the one I backed. I voted with my dollars then, and my vote shan't change.

Logain, Dryxaline and fattymoomooman like this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

But having a continuum makes the argument more difficult. The world is oh so much simpler when there is only black and white with no shades of grey.

fattymoomooman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.