UI: Inventory List Mode

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by i395, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i395

i395 Avatar

While using the "List Mode" we could have the ability to create custom tabs and set custom filters on those tabs for easy sorting and moving from inventory to bank or bank to inventory etc.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What kind of custom filters would you suggest? How would those be defined?

3. i395

i395 Avatar

I think maybe if you where able to have bags in your inventory that could be given custom names such as "Map Pouch", "Crafing Tools", "Crafing Materials" then have the ability to make those bags into a TAB in the List Mode would be a good start and would add a reason to buy or create bags.

The other option would be to add more filters or object types. Like where you have the tab for crafting. Lets say I want to go gathering so I need to get rid of all the extra crafting materials like salt or hides etc., but I need my gathering tools. I would like to see a way to filter materials vs tools so I can drop the materials into the bank but keep my tools.

4. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

For non-list mode I can see that multiple bags would be useful, even if it's only a graphical representation of inventory tabs being filtered by the UI. For list mode though, I don't see why we would need bags if we have a working filter system to show only specific items?

Bags have been around since forever in MMORPG's and I realize it's a necessary evil feature in many games, so I wouldn't vote against it in SotA but I really don't see how I'm supposed to wear my armor, carry a weapon, and lug 6+ backpacks around while I'm trudging over and around mountains and engaging enemies in a fight :p

Seriously though, when I think of more bags, I think increased inventory capacity. Increased inventory capacity does not equal a robust inventory filter system, which can be created without the use of bags, as you stated. If the bags had other features though, beyond carry capacity increase or filtering, I would be very interesting in hearing about them!

i395 and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Bags would also be useful for list inventory if you don't want to use the filters. They could also be useful for transferring bunches of items from player to trader.

And they could be useful in the sense that you could be able to store bags on your person that aren't directly in your inventory. In earlier builds, we had a couple of free slots at the bottom of our character sheet, which we could fill with whatever items we wanted -- weapons, potions, bags, etc. If we could then have those free slots represented somewhere on the screen even with the character sheet closed, we could make them into reagent pouches, coin pouches, etc., quickly open them, and drag to them pretty easily. A reagent pouch could in fact serve a similar purpose to an arrow quiver, and have some effect on combat. If not required for reagents, it could reduce casting time for the reagents you have available, or something else.

Miracle Dragon and i395 like this.
  6. i395

i395 Avatar

I agree Redfish, and thats kinda what I was thinking. Whatever I put in a bag should show up in the list but only for that bag. I can have multiple bags for different reasons, all to help me organise my gear the way I want. Lets say I want to create a "Carpenters Toolbox" which has the things I would use for said crafting, I can place it in the bank when I am out adventuring and get it out again when I am ready to craft items.

I also agree with Veronica. The filter system for the list mode could be improved buy adding more catagories and the ability to add custom tabs that you can set the filters indepentantly of each other.

7. Escarion

Escarion Avatar

Maybe they should add a new filter "Containers" that shows only containers in the inventory - not the stuff in the containers.
    So you can use this filter to see all your bags, backpacks, boxes - whatever. This should help organize all the stuff.
    Actually the inventory does not show if items are in a bag or just in the main inventory. It is a little bit confusing.

Spoon likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

An old suggestion from me and others would be to have list view function as a file browser, where containers are folders.

i395, Veronica and Calredon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.